NTL broadband and dail-up and legacy e-mail addresses

Old September 11th 06, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default NTL broadband and dail-up and legacy e-mail addresses

Just been round to a relation who has (perhaps stupidly - frying pan and
fire come to mind) just ditched NTL cable TV/Broadband to go to Sky.

First problem is that we had to put in the satellite cables as Sky man
couldnt a) fix cables to plastic fascia b) go other way cos of bushes up
to wall c) go over garage roof cos they can't walk on rooves!!

Anyway - NTL ceased - Sky TV not installed and Sky BB takes up to 3 weeks.

So no internet and kids screaming.

Have tried to set him up with an NTL dial-up account but that doesnt
seem to work.

Have set him with a pay as you go account (Tiscali but one can't always
choose)

But his old NTL e-mail account doesn't seem to work on that.

Questions

Does one's NTL e-mail die when BB is ceased?

Should one be able to access it at pop.ntl or whatever

Do NTL have a dial-up anyway? and would that only have been recoginised
while BB was going as a backup only.

Oh the joys of switching provider!!

Mike

Old September 11th 06, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Panda

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:35:45 +0100, m wrote:

ose)

But his old NTL e-mail account doesn't seem to work on that.

Questions

Does one's NTL e-mail die when BB is ceased?

Should one be able to access it at pop.ntl or whatever

Do NTL have a dial-up anyway? and would that only have been recoginised
while BB was going as a backup only.

AFAIK, one is unable to get legacy ntl emails - similar happened to me
a couple of years ago. I don't even think they do a pay as you go
dial in service any more to get them that way.
Recently someone posted a rather useful site where you could list all
old email addresses so that they would be forwarded to your new one,
something like www.switchemail.com/

--

Panda
Old September 11th 06, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

m wrote:

Does one's NTL e-mail die when BB is ceased?

I'm sure my NTL mail accounts ceased on moving. You don't get this problem with
a decent ISP that normally allows to to continue to pick it up.

I'm sorry to hear of your woes but it seems you really did ask for it !

Graham

Old September 11th 06, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Leuty

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:

m wrote:

Does one's NTL e-mail die when BB is ceased?

I'm sure my NTL mail accounts ceased on moving. You don't get this problem
with
a decent ISP that normally allows to to continue to pick it up.

FWIW, my old ntl dial-up address (not used for about 4 years) and my
previous STB broadband address (changed to SACM over a year ago) are
still active. But then I've not moved house...
Old September 11th 06, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Eeyore wrote:
m wrote:

Does one's NTL e-mail die when BB is ceased?

I'm sure my NTL mail accounts ceased on moving. You don't get this
problem with a decent ISP that normally allows to to continue to
pick
it up.

I'm sorry to hear of your woes but it seems you really did ask for
it
!

Actually you're lucky, my broadband didn't die until I phoned up 6
months after ceasing it & gave them a bollocking (didn't want any
nasty large bills coming thru, remember this is NTL) & it's over 2
years now & the telephone line is still active, though stumped outside
in their brown box...

Old September 12th 06, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Eeyore wrote:

m wrote:

Does one's NTL e-mail die when BB is ceased?

I'm sure my NTL mail accounts ceased on moving. You don't get this problem with
a decent ISP that normally allows to to continue to pick it up.

I'm sorry to hear of your woes but it seems you really did ask for it !

Graham

Yeh it's actually a relations and I'm not sure he has done right thing
going to Sky BB - we shall see.

Hopefully NTL keep to the rules made when cable companies were licenced
and leave the cable in with just the Terrestrial channels active (albeit
on different frequencies) as the guy has no proper aerial and doesn't
want one.

He didn't realise that with Sky, you only get one channel at a time so
all the other TVs in the House (that I had connected to the cable to use
the terrestrial channels) wouldn't get anything!!

As always I really wish people would discuss these things if someone in
teh family knows a bit and not feel embarrased - it invariably saves
time later.

Mike

Mike