AOL any good?

Old September 11th 06, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Travec the Dacian

Default AOL any good?

OK I've already read the posts that say AOL is getting out of the UK
Broadband market but, despite these rumours they are still promoting
their broadband packages. I presume they are doing this so they can
sell their business to another ISP.

I'm in a quandry. Because I Live in a remote area I only have the
choice of BT or AOL. I am currently with BT but I have found I can
get unilmited access with AOL for half what I am paying BT.

Before I switch can I just ask.. is AOL any good?

FWIW I don't need their technical support.. just looking for
reasonable reliability.

Travec
Old September 11th 06, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

OK I've already read the posts that say AOL is getting out of the UK
Broadband market but, despite these rumours they are still promoting
their broadband packages. I presume they are doing this so they can
sell their business to another ISP.

I'm in a quandry. Because I Live in a remote area I only have the
choice of BT or AOL. I am currently with BT but I have found I can
get unilmited access with AOL for half what I am paying BT.

Before I switch can I just ask.. is AOL any good?

FWIW I don't need their technical support.. just looking for
reasonable reliability.

The problem with AOL is that they do everything their own way and
un-installing their software is a nightmare. If you do choose them seek
detailed advice (Not from me I am afraid!) on how to set up your connection
without using their CD. They are certainly still promoting their package at
14.99 per month. Interesting to find out why no other ISP will offer
service but presume it is to do with the exchange activate restrictions. The
signup page is here if you want to see more.

http://info.aol.co.uk/broadband/broadband.adp

Peter Crosland

Old September 11th 06, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Travec the Dacian

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:13:46 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

The problem with AOL is that they do everything their own way and
un-installing their software is a nightmare. If you do choose them seek
detailed advice (Not from me I am afraid!) on how to set up your connection
without using their CD.

Thanks Peter. There is NO WAY I would install AOL software on my PC,
indeed not. I called AOL and they say I can use their service without
the software and I've found a link which describes the generic router
settings for AOL, so maybe I will give it a try.

Travec
Old September 11th 06, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Travec the Dacian wrote:

I'm in a quandry. Because I Live in a remote area I only have the
choice of BT or AOL. I am currently with BT but I have found I can
get unilmited access with AOL for half what I am paying BT.

Why do you only have the choice of BT or AOL? Am I missing something?
If your exchange is ADSL enabled then why don't you have the choice of
the 100+ other ISPs in the UK?

Gordon
Old September 11th 06, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I'm in a quandry. Because I Live in a remote area I only have the
choice of BT or AOL. I am currently with BT but I have found I can
get unilmited access with AOL for half what I am paying BT.

Why do you only have the choice of BT or AOL? Am I missing something?
If your exchange is ADSL enabled then why don't you have the choice of
the 100+ other ISPs in the UK?

I wondered this and then I spotted Travec's other post that explains it.
Because the exchange has been activated with a big public subsidy any ISP
that wants to use it has to buy ports in blocks that costs money and only
AOL seem to have taken the risk of doing so. Good luck to them!

Peter Crosland

Old September 11th 06, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Peter Crosland wrote:
I'm in a quandry. Because I Live in a remote area I only have the
choice of BT or AOL. I am currently with BT but I have found I can
get unilmited access with AOL for half what I am paying BT.

Why do you only have the choice of BT or AOL? Am I missing something?
If your exchange is ADSL enabled then why don't you have the choice of
the 100+ other ISPs in the UK?

I wondered this and then I spotted Travec's other post that explains it.
Because the exchange has been activated with a big public subsidy any ISP
that wants to use it has to buy ports in blocks that costs money and only
AOL seem to have taken the risk of doing so. Good luck to them!

Ah, right. I guess it's some real remote/rural thing then.

Go down the AOL route, but don't install their software. I imagine that
if you get an Ethernet based router then they'll have to give you the
username and password for the connection, then you'reall set. Get email
from an independant provider too, then when you move from AOL, you can
keep the same email address.

And use a disposable credit card and be prepared to burn it and close
the account when you need to close the AOL account. I hear it's damed
hard to get them to close the account down...

Gordon
Old September 11th 06, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Travec the Dacian wrote:

Hi Gordon, yes, you're missing a previous thread in this NG entitled
"Getting out of BT Exchange Activate Rip-Off". Basically, BT
installed broadband in my remote rural exchange and now they've made
it almost impossible to migrate to another ISP. AOL is the only real
alternative to BT here, and afaik BT is in cahoots with AOL anyway.
Grrr. Hobson's choice or what?

do you not have Entanet too ? www.btwholesale.com/getbroadband number
checker will list the alternatives on an Activate exchange. Entanet has
resellers like Xifos, Aquiss, ukfsn.

Phil

Old September 11th 06, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gort

Thanks Peter. There is NO WAY I would install AOL software on my PC,
indeed not. I called AOL and they say I can use their service without
the software and I've found a link which describes the generic router
settings for AOL, so maybe I will give it a try.

Travec

Once you have a router you can use any email client which is IMAP capable
and any web browser over AOL. I have set up several customers with routers
on AOL and none are using AOL software for day to day use, the only
proviso is I believe, that you can only change AOL account details with
their software.

HTH

Dave

Old September 11th 06, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Hi Gordon, yes, you're missing a previous thread in this NG entitled
"Getting out of BT Exchange Activate Rip-Off". Basically, BT
installed broadband in my remote rural exchange and now they've made
it almost impossible to migrate to another ISP. AOL is the only real
alternative to BT here, and afaik BT is in cahoots with AOL anyway.
Grrr. Hobson's choice or what?

do you not have Entanet too ? www.btwholesale.com/getbroadband number
checker will list the alternatives on an Activate exchange. Entanet
has resellers like Xifos, Aquiss, ukfsn.

They may be but at an unreal price.

Peter Crosland