Demon's Lack of Customer Support - Again

Old September 11th 06, 05:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

Default Demon's Lack of Customer Support - Again

As part of my new Demon Domestic 800 broadband package to be connected
via a BT landline I now have a Speedtouch 330 modem. However the
config. instructions state that I have to use either PPPoE or PPPoA USB
drivers, or RFC1483 USB drivers and that this should be confirmed by
the respective ISP.

Secondly I need the technical 'service name' that I have to use with my
userid and password. (I have the userid and password OK).

Now it might be expected that since this is part of the Demon package
that Demon CS Broadband Support might be able to help me. But sadly the
Call Centre in India hasn't got a clue - and the line was so crackly
and the accent was so heavy I could hardly understand what was being
said. Also it appears that their script does not include such necessary
information.

Please can anyone advise?

Many thanks - CJB.

Old September 11th 06, 06:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

The config. also has an option for greater than 4Mbit/s or less than
4Mbit/s to be chosen. Again this is info. that ought to be available
from the ISP aka Demon, but which Demon CS do not seem to be able to
tell me about. CJB.

Old September 11th 06, 06:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

CJB wrote:
As part of my new Demon Domestic 800 broadband package to be connected
via a BT landline I now have a Speedtouch 330 modem. However the
config. instructions state that I have to use either PPPoE or PPPoA USB
drivers, or RFC1483 USB drivers and that this should be confirmed by
the respective ISP.

PPPoA is the standard in the UK on BT Wholesale systems.

Secondly I need the technical 'service name' that I have to use with my
userid and password. (I have the userid and password OK).

Fred, or "Domestic 800" (sic). Its just a reference field, isn't it ?

If you have Demon Home 8000 then I would expect to use the high speed
USB drivers in case your line goes at 7M.

Phil

Old September 11th 06, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

Many thanks. Indeed it does say PPPoA which is in small print on the
web site, but totally invisible in the documentation.

Incidentally I've found a solution to endijg up with the wrong menu
option when dialling CS - 0845 272 0040 - simply do NOT press the
'star' key but wait until you get put through to a default no.

CJB.

Herbie wrote:

According to the pictures on

http://www.demon.net/helpdesk/produc...proast330.html

its PPPoA

Old September 11th 06, 07:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

Apparently the 'service name' is "Demon" - doh!! Aslo I need to use
'Greater than 4Mbit/s" Hopefully I'll now get online this evening.
Thanks for your help!! CJB.

Old September 11th 06, 09:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
John Kirkland

On 11 Sep 2006 09:01:11 -0700, CJB wrote:

Many thanks - CJB.

tongueincheek

I'm pleased you used the "Lack of" phrase, because I get the impression
that all too often the words "Demon" and "Customer Support", when found
together, are something of an oxymoron.

/tongueincheek

:P

--
John Kirkland
Old September 12th 06, 03:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 11 Sep 2006 "CJB" wrote:

PhilT wrote:
If you have Demon Home 8000 then I would expect to use the high speed
USB drivers in case your line goes at 7M.

Apparently the 'service name' is "Demon" - doh!! Also I need to use
'Greater than 4Mbit/s" Hopefully I'll now get online this evening.

Is the service name actually used then? I've helped friends on a number
of different ISPs over the last few years (all using routers, must admit)
and none has ever needed the service name to be used - just user/pass.

Old September 12th 06, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

In article , John Naismith
writes

I was one of the first thousand customers (first proper ISP in the UK
at the time) so seeing their name as mud gives me no pleasure.

You'd have to be clinically insane to consider using them now - I'm
sure Demon modelled their accounts dept on the Scott Adams model

All IMHO of course as their "legal" dept resembles Dilbert cartoons
too :P

Hi there John ... long time since I saw you post, especially on the
demon.ip.whatever NewNews.

I think I joined Demon dial up a couple of years after you, but, as you
can see, am still with them.

Perhaps I am one of the lucky ones, and lucky since mid 1994, in that
the Help Desk has been knowledgeable and helpful most of this time.
Moreover, I have had no problems with their Accounts Department.

I found no deterioration in the knowledge, helpfulness or otherwise of
the UK based Help Desk after Clifford sold to Demon.

That is not to say the situation is the same now. The Help Desk went
downhill a couple of years ago when the call centres *Help Desk* was off
shored to Bombay.

Again I had no problems with the Accounts Department when swapping from
dial up to ADSL 2 years ago. But, I have seen the complaints in various
NewNews groups, including this one.

Clearly I have had 16 years of luck?

As regards the service they provide and I pay for ... rock steady and no
problems. Even though they are a BT ADSL reseller!
--
John Clark
Old September 12th 06, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Kirkland

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 18:20:37 +0100, John Naismith wrote:

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 21:30:15 +0100, John Kirkland
wrote:

On 11 Sep 2006 09:01:11 -0700, CJB wrote:

Many thanks - CJB.

tongueincheek

I'm pleased you used the "Lack of" phrase, because I get the impression
that all too often the words "Demon" and "Customer Support", when found
together, are something of an oxymoron.

/tongueincheek

:P

I'm amazed to find this still going on - dear god people Demon's
service went down the tubes damn close to a DECADE ago!

And they're still (in)famous for it! :P

Quick precis for the people who can't remember - Cliff sold; Thus (if
they were thus then - hehehe) took over; service declined; freeserve
emerged; service on Demon nosedived; ADSL came out and everyone who'd
been on the Demon tenner a month dial-up account left.

Yup.

I was one of the first thousand customers (first proper ISP in the UK
at the time) so seeing their name as mud gives me no pleasure.

Respect due

You'd have to be clinically insane to consider using them now - I'm
sure Demon modelled their accounts dept on the Scott Adams model

Is this the Crack Accounts Dept., or was that the Crack Legal Team (I
remember the Godfrey case, way back when), or even the Crack Customer
Services team?

All IMHO of course as their "legal" dept resembles Dilbert cartoons
too :P

That must be the Crack Legal Dept.(tm) then.

--
John Kirkland
Old September 12th 06, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

In article , John Kirkland
writes

wrote:

On 11 Sep 2006 09:01:11 -0700, CJB wrote:

Many thanks - CJB.

tongueincheek

I'm pleased you used the "Lack of" phrase, because I get the impression
that all too often the words "Demon" and "Customer Support", when found
together, are something of an oxymoron.

/tongueincheek

:P

I'm amazed to find this still going on - dear god people Demon's
service went down the tubes damn close to a DECADE ago!

And they're still (in)famous for it! :P

Not in my experience, and I've been with them since July 1994. Clearly I
may be the exception to prove the rule. But there you are!

Quick precis for the people who can't remember - Cliff sold; Thus (if
they were thus then - hehehe) took over; service declined; freeserve
emerged; service on Demon nosedived; ADSL came out and everyone who'd
been on the Demon tenner a month dial-up account left.

Yup.

History correct, but not totally true. Please don't tell me I am the
last long time ex-Demon dial up user left. I am sure others are still
around(?)

I was one of the first thousand customers (first proper ISP in the UK
at the time) so seeing their name as mud gives me no pleasure.

Respect due

Agreed! ;((

You'd have to be clinically insane to consider using them now - I'm
sure Demon modelled their accounts dept on the Scott Adams model

May be in considering using them. But from my experience I would
recommend family use them.

So, I must be, by definition, clinically insane and have been sectioned
a long time ago.

I would recommend users take the same steps I have and my experience may
be the same for them(?)

Is this the Crack Accounts Dept., or was that the Crack Legal Team (I
remember the Godfrey case, way back when), or even the Crack Customer
Services team?

No experience of either Departments, but I have no doubts on other users
experience!

All IMHO of course as their "legal" dept resembles Dilbert cartoons
too :P

That must be the Crack Legal Dept.(tm) then.

--
John Clark

In the "reply to", replace either "fredclark" or "Workgroup" with
"jonclark" for direct e-mail.