TVL Demands License for Laptop and WiFi

Old September 11th 06, 06:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

Default TVL Demands License for Laptop and WiFi

I've just had an aggressive demand from our 'friends' the TVL for a new
laptop I've just purchased with Windows Media Centre and a t.v. card.
However the t.v. reception and display is so damned awful that I am
seriously thinking of getting the t.v. card removed. This test was at a
location that is IS licensed for t.v. reception, but anyway I'm damned
if I'm going to pay for a second license just so that I can use the
laptop elsewhere - even as a simple computer.

So please could folk advise me:

1/ is a license necessary for a t.v. equipped laptop that is used at
another location even if the t.v. feature itself is not actually being
used (prior to removal of the t.v. card),

2/ if the laptop has WiFi is it necessary to have a license for the
location where the WiFi router is situated if the laptop is used in
another location that is / is NOT licensed

Specifically I want to set up a local free WiFi service for a block of
flats, but do not wish to pay for a t.v. license specifically for the
room in which the WiFi router will be located.

Many thanks - CJB.

Old September 11th 06, 06:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Horton

CJB wrote:
I've just had an aggressive demand from our 'friends' the TVL for a new
laptop I've just purchased with Windows Media Centre and a t.v. card.
However the t.v. reception and display is so damned awful that I am
seriously thinking of getting the t.v. card removed. This test was at a
location that is IS licensed for t.v. reception, but anyway I'm damned
if I'm going to pay for a second license just so that I can use the
laptop elsewhere - even as a simple computer.

So please could folk advise me:

1/ is a license necessary for a t.v. equipped laptop that is used at
another location even if the t.v. feature itself is not actually being
used (prior to removal of the t.v. card),

Yes as long as there is a method of receiving off air transmissions.

2/ if the laptop has WiFi is it necessary to have a license for the
location where the WiFi router is situated if the laptop is used in
another location that is / is NOT licensed

The licence is required for where the receiver (your laptop) The WiFi
router is merely that.

Specifically I want to set up a local free WiFi service for a block of
flats, but do not wish to pay for a t.v. license specifically for the
room in which the WiFi router will be located.

The WiFi router should not need to be licenced, as it is merely routing
signals. It is not a receiver. It is like saying you need to have a
licence for a TV/Radio signal booster, when you only have an FM radio tuner.

Many thanks - CJB.

Mark
Old September 11th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

Damned John Lewis told them after I purchased the thing. CJB.

My god, are the b*st*rds tracking computers as well now? How did they find
out it has a TV card in it?

Ian

Old September 11th 06, 06:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Piers Finlayson

All letters from the TVL are aggresive. It's in their interests to scare as
many people as possible to buy a license.

They threatened a warrant to enter against me once when they forgot to
update their records after I notified them of a change of address, and I had
previously ignored their letters (as I'd done nothing wrong). A this point
I wrote an equally snotty letter back threatening to sue them for wasting my
time, and pointing out their mistake. Heard nothing more.

Anyhow, on your issue, I believe it is the presence of gear that can receive
the signal that's the test. So a video recorder must be licensed even if
there is no TV. In this case it's unclear to me whether it's the presence
of the TV card itself, or the TV card plus a computer that constitues a
piece of equipment a license is required for. (If the TV card isn't plugged
into a computer it can't actually receive a signal. But if you have a
computer it could fit into, even if it wasn't plugged into it, I suspect
you'd be liable.)

Technically therefore if you take your laptop somewhere else without a
license you need a license. I struggle to see how they'd know and enforce.

Wireless shouldn't have anything to do with it unless you stream TV using
this to other PCs. Within the same property would be OK if you have
license. To other properties or over the internet would be unwise.

Old September 11th 06, 06:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
[ste parker]

Jaxtraw wrote:

My god, are the b*st*rds tracking computers as well now? How did they find
out it has a TV card in it?

.... because you have to supply your address whenever you purchase
equipment capable of receiving a TV signal, ie. the TV card.

--
[ste]
Old September 11th 06, 06:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Piers Finlayson

"CJB" wrote in message
ps.com...
Damned John Lewis told them after I purchased the thing. CJB.

Next time buy your gear from a dodgy website that doesn't know they have to
notify the licensing authority when a piece of TV receiving equipment is
purchased!

Old September 11th 06, 06:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"CJB" wrote in message
ps.com...
Damned John Lewis told them after I purchased the thing. CJB.

They are now required to by law when selling any
televisions/receivers/freeview boxes etc.

Old September 11th 06, 06:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

CJB wrote:
I've just had an aggressive demand from our 'friends' the TVL for a new
laptop I've just purchased with Windows Media Centre and a t.v. card.
However the t.v. reception and display is so damned awful that I am
seriously thinking of getting the t.v. card removed. This test was at a
location that is IS licensed for t.v. reception, but anyway I'm damned
if I'm going to pay for a second license just so that I can use the
laptop elsewhere - even as a simple computer.

So please could folk advise me:

1/ is a license necessary for a t.v. equipped laptop that is used at
another location even if the t.v. feature itself is not actually being
used (prior to removal of the t.v. card),

No. But, can you show that you are not using it for that purpose? Are you
'recieving' the tv signal? If not no, but being able to do so at the single
click of a mouse might not be convincing...

2/ if the laptop has WiFi is it necessary to have a license for the
location where the WiFi router is situated if the laptop is used in
another location that is / is NOT licensed

probably..... If you try to simplify it down, if you had one aerial on the
roof, and that fed four different apartments, they would all need tv
licenses, if they all recieved tv.

Specifically I want to set up a local free WiFi service for a block of
flats, but do not wish to pay for a t.v. license specifically for the
room in which the WiFi router will be located.

think of the router as the aerial, and the laptop as the tv.

Many thanks - CJB.

Gaz

Old September 11th 06, 06:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

Mark - thank you for the quick response. So the WiFi router doesn't
need a license. However if I use the laptop in another location that IS
licensed then I assume that I'm covered OK. But what if I use the
laptop in say a cafe or pub with a WiFi hotspot or even on a moving
train? I can't imagine the latter will be licensed!! And will my home
license cover the laptop whilst I'm travelling. What about sitting in a
field or on the beach using a WiFi connection (but not using the t.v.
feature - which as I said is next to useless)? Many thanks - CJB.