Long Line

Old September 11th 06, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Leveled

Default Long Line

Can anyone recommend a wireless router to perform better than a Voyager 105
modem 5 or 6 km from the B.T.exchange. Thank You Ed

Old September 11th 06, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Leveled wrote:
Can anyone recommend a wireless router to perform better than a
Voyager 105 modem 5 or 6 km from the B.T.exchange. Thank You Ed

Draytek 2600 range second-hand or 2800 range new though some people have had
problems with the latter. My 2800 works fine on my MAXed line.

Peter Crosland

Old September 12th 06, 01:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Draytek 2600 has special firmware for long lines, works well on my 5km line,
Max ~2Mb/s.
Regards,
Martin

Old September 12th 06, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Lipscombe

I get a stable 448/2400 on 5.5km MAX line with a US robotics 9105.
Its not wireless but has a wireless brother I believe.

HTH - Adam

Old September 12th 06, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Sat at the end of a 10km line, stuck on 1mb as Plus are seriously
dragging their heels upgrading customers to DSL max (the line is
capable of 3mb despite the lengh as it's rural with no sources of
interfearance). Anyway, the Draytek 2600 is excellent, never drops a
beat, but I bet the Voyager would be just as solid. Also, I think the
long line firmware on the Draytek only compensates for poor
attenuation. If your SNR is particulalry poor your best (and most
economical) shot is probably looking at your wiring and fitting a
faceplate filter on the master box.

I actually have a draytek router spare that I picked up off ebay
(2200WE I think), the wireless died on me pretty much immediately for
some reason but the modem is working fine. If you're looking for a
wired solution you could have it for 20 quid plus postie

Old September 12th 06, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

wrote in message
oups.com...
Sat at the end of a 10km line, stuck on 1mb as Plus are seriously
dragging their heels upgrading customers to DSL max (the line is
capable of 3mb despite the lengh as it's rural with no sources of
interfearance). Anyway, the Draytek 2600 is excellent, never drops a
beat, but I bet the Voyager would be just as solid. Also, I think the
long line firmware on the Draytek only compensates for poor
attenuation. If your SNR is particulalry poor your best (and most
economical) shot is probably looking at your wiring and fitting a
faceplate filter on the master box.

I actually have a draytek router spare that I picked up off ebay
(2200WE I think), the wireless died on me pretty much immediately for
some reason but the modem is working fine. If you're looking for a
wired solution you could have it for 20 quid plus postie

Plusnet have now re-introduced Max upgrades.
See newsgroup plusnet.service.customer-feedback for info.
I posted a message there two days ago requesting an upgrade and got Max-ed
today.

George