BT80A/RF3

Old September 12th 06, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default BT80A/RF3

Amnyone know where I may purchase a BT80A RF3 connecting block?
I've googled around and emailed 3 companies last week and all have
failed to respond. For cost reasons I do not want to go to BT if I
can help it, £200 for a few minutes work.

My local radio MW transmitter is close to me and I can hear the
relevant station breaking through all over mw and longwave, god knows
what it's doing to my adsl signal.

BT should do this for free. How come they want £200 to do it?

Peter Crosland

Old September 12th 06, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

BT should do this for free. How come they want £200 to do it?

Hi, sorry I'm just supposing they'll want £200 going by a recent call
out to fix some extension wiring that took about 10 minutes

I have a BT80A box at the incoming pair, I wan't to try an RF3 filter
there in its place to see if it helps my broadband signal. As it is
actually working I wouldn't expect BT to do anything. As I said MW
signals from the transmitter are very strong and I suspect they are
holding back the performance of the line, if I could get hold of an
RF3 then I could try myself.

AFAIK a problem like this is something BT should fix for free. Don't mention
the broadband issue just the voice part. When kráftéé appears he should be
able to confirm this as he is an ADSL qualified engineer.

Peter Crosland

Old September 12th 06, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
BT should do this for free. How come they want £200 to do it?

Hi, sorry I'm just supposing they'll want £200 going by a recent call
out to fix some extension wiring that took about 10 minutes

I have a BT80A box at the incoming pair, I wan't to try an RF3 filter
there in its place to see if it helps my broadband signal. As it is
actually working I wouldn't expect BT to do anything. As I said MW
signals from the transmitter are very strong and I suspect they are
holding back the performance of the line, if I could get hold of an
RF3 then I could try myself.

AFAIK a problem like this is something BT should fix for free. Don't
mention the broadband issue just the voice part. When kráftéé appears he
should be able to confirm this as he is an ADSL qualified engineer.

Peter Crosland

Agreed - if your BT voice service is subject to interference, just dial 151
and report it as a fault.
Oh - and don't mention possible solutions like RF filters when you report
the fault.
Nobody likes being told how to fix things.
Best to just say you're having interference problems and let the technicians
diagnose and fix them.
It could turn out to be something completely different from what you
surmise...

George

Old September 12th 06, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Peter Crosland wrote:
[...]

Shucks (I'm blushing), in the OPs situation he would have to report rf
breakthru on the voice/analogue services to get a Openreach engineer
onsite to fit an RF filter (hopefully RF3 but some don't know the
difference). Remember that by putting one in you will add a couple
off points to your attenuation so what you may gain one way you could
lose in another.

As for doing it yourself, get friendly with your local ADSL engineer,
you know it makes sense ;-)

Old September 13th 06, 01:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Peter Crosland wrote:

Amnyone know where I may purchase a BT80A RF3 connecting block?
I've googled around and emailed 3 companies last week and all have
failed to respond. For cost reasons I do not want to go to BT if I
can help it, £200 for a few minutes work.

My local radio MW transmitter is close to me and I can hear the
relevant station breaking through all over mw and longwave, god knows
what it's doing to my adsl signal.

BT should do this for free. How come they want £200 to do it?

That would appear to contradict Kraftee's recent posts.

Graham