VoIP phones and automated telephone services

Old September 12th 06, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default VoIP phones and automated telephone services

Hi,

Do any VoIP systems work with those automated phone systems yet where
you've got to put in details like account numbers etc. by pressing the
phone keys.

I'm a student and use Skype, but I can't use that when I need to call
companies like the electricity, gas or water companies or even the
Student Loans lot because before you can talk to anyone, you've got to
go through their automated ID service.

Old September 12th 06, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Do any VoIP systems work with those automated phone systems yet where
you've got to put in details like account numbers etc. by pressing the
phone keys.

I'm a student and use Skype, but I can't use that when I need to call
companies like the electricity, gas or water companies or even the
Student Loans lot because before you can talk to anyone, you've got to
go through their automated ID service.

I find VoipStunt works fine with navigating through the menus etc. using
DTMF tones, but using PlusTalk (PlusNets VoIP service) is a bit hit and
miss, sometimes working, sometimes not.

Rob

Old September 13th 06, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:22:41 +0100, "Rob"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi,

Do any VoIP systems work with those automated phone systems yet where
you've got to put in details like account numbers etc. by pressing the
phone keys.

I'm a student and use Skype, but I can't use that when I need to call
companies like the electricity, gas or water companies or even the
Student Loans lot because before you can talk to anyone, you've got to
go through their automated ID service.

I find VoipStunt works fine with navigating through the menus etc. using
DTMF tones, but using PlusTalk (PlusNets VoIP service) is a bit hit and
miss, sometimes working, sometimes not.

Rob

If you use Skype these other services, mentioned in the replies to
your post, MIGHT be new to you. Lest that may be true here is a brief
explanation.
These services are all SIP VoIP - a totally different protocol to
Skype.
Many SIP VoIP services offer cheaper calls and much more flexibilty
than Skype. In MOST cases it is possible to call other SIP VoIP users,
worldwide, for free, no matter what VoIP Service Provider (VSP) they
use. (see the very long list on www.sipbroker.com )
You can download software to run on your computer such as X-Lite or,
much better, purchase an Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA), or SIP
phone, to connect to your router, and not need to have your computer
switched on. It is well worth doing this.
************************************************** *************************
You do NOT have to have the same outgoing provider as you use for
incoming (providing your ATA is flexible enough to facilitate this).
************************************************** *************************

VSPs, to name but a few.
www.sipgate.co.uk
www.voip.co.uk
www.voipfone.co.uk
www.voiptalk.org

I do know that Sipgate, voipfone & voip.co.uk work on DTMF.
I have just tested them out on a BT services number.
voiptalk I am doubtful about.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old September 13th 06, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephen Lewis

Brian A wrote:
I do know that Sipgate, voipfone & voip.co.uk work on DTMF.
I have just tested them out on a BT services number.
voiptalk I am doubtful about.

Works fine for me... I'm using their siptalk service with Asterisk
(dtmfmode=rfc2833), although I have had it working with their iax
service in the past.

Stephen
Old September 13th 06, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Ivor Jones wrote:

For Sipgate, set the DTMF TX mode to INFO if the configuration of your
device allows this.

Also called RFC2976 in some devices, if you are using G.729 as your
codec, you should try using Out-Of-Band first (sometimes called RFC 2833).
Old September 19th 06, 01:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Did you mean to reply to me or the OP?