A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Max Problem



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 12th 06, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Boomhauer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 38
Default Max Problem

I've got a problem with my new Max service wherby after about 30 days now
the speed up and down changes each time I login.

I contacted my ISP and they have performed this check saying nothing is
wrong at their end:-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
woosh test results


xDSL Status Check Analysis
OK.

Circuit Information
Circuit In Sync
Upstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 24.5 dB
Cell Count 134988
Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 50 dB
Cell Count 51218

DSL MAX
Downstream Line Rate 4000
Downstream Line Rate Timestamp 07/09/2006 20:56:57
Maximum Stable Rate Re-set (Y/N) N
Profile Change Time 01/01/1111 00:00:00
Maximum Stable Rate 1152
Fault Threshold Rate 806
Interleaved Opt In


Determine Algorithm Branch Analysis
Max product, DCN, in synch, tests OK
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had no problems before I switched to Max - I had a constant 950Kb down and
about 180Kb up

In a nutshell what does this all mean. What should my linespeed be up and
down and why could it be changing each time I login??


  #2  
Old September 12th 06, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 349
Default Max Problem

On 12 Sep 2006 17:37, "Dave Boomhauer" wrote:

DSL MAX
Downstream Line Rate 4000
Downstream Line Rate Timestamp 07/09/2006 20:56:57
Maximum Stable Rate Re-set (Y/N) N
Profile Change Time 01/01/1111 00:00:00
Maximum Stable Rate 1152
Fault Threshold Rate 806
Interleaved Opt In



In a nutshell what does this all mean. What should my linespeed be up and
down and why could it be changing each time I login??



It looks from the extract above as if your router can sync to the exchange
at speeds up to 4000 kbps, while data currently seems limited to 1152.
You had a fairly low loss on upstream, so I expect you to see 448 kbps.

The MSR is probably a reason for not seeing faster data rates if you run
any 'speed test', BICBW.

I would expect connect speed to change each time (mine certainly does, and
at any time it could be as high as 8128 but has been down as low as 74xx)
and will depend on the noise etc at the instant when the router gets into
sync with the exchange, so even at the same time each day it may get
different speeds on different days.

--
Change to DSL Max the way I did: switch ISP http://www.dslmax.info/
  #3  
Old September 12th 06, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,069
Default Max Problem

Dave Boomhauer wrote:

I had no problems before I switched to Max - I had a constant 950Kb
down and about 180Kb up

In a nutshell what does this all mean. What should my linespeed be
up
and down and why could it be changing each time I login??


Because every time you log in the SNR will vary slightly, simple as
that. If I reboot my router now, seeing as there aren't any
electrical storms around (although there is an apparent 'lift' on
certain frequencies) my SNR will be better than it was when I rebooted
(as suggested by PN support) around 21:00 last night so my speed will
be slightly faster than it has been since I rebooted last night.


  #4  
Old September 13th 06, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 391
Default Max Problem


Dave Boomhauer wrote:

Loop Loss 50 dB
Downstream Line Rate 4000
Downstream Line Rate Timestamp 07/09/2006 20:56:57


4M on a fairly long line.

Maximum Stable Rate Re-set (Y/N) N
Profile Change Time 01/01/1111 00:00:00
Maximum Stable Rate 1152
Fault Threshold Rate 806
Interleaved Opt In


In a nutshell what does this all mean. What should my linespeed be up and
down and why could it be changing each time I login??


its a rate adaptive product. Are you using a USB modem ? A router would
sit on the line at a more consistent speed but could still vary.

Phil

  #5  
Old September 13th 06, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 64
Default Max Problem



Dave Boomhauer wrote:

Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 50 dB


Probably best on a fixed 2M serivice.

Graham

  #6  
Old September 13th 06, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Boomhauer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 38
Default Max Problem


"PhilT" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dave Boomhauer wrote:

Loop Loss 50 dB
Downstream Line Rate 4000
Downstream Line Rate Timestamp 07/09/2006 20:56:57


4M on a fairly long line.

Maximum Stable Rate Re-set (Y/N) N
Profile Change Time 01/01/1111 00:00:00
Maximum Stable Rate 1152
Fault Threshold Rate 806
Interleaved Opt In


In a nutshell what does this all mean. What should my linespeed be up and
down and why could it be changing each time I login??


its a rate adaptive product. Are you using a USB modem ? A router would
sit on the line at a more consistent speed but could still vary.

Phil


It is a USB Modem. I thought from all the info' on Max that once the
training period was over that you had more or less a fixed speed, but at the
maximum your line could handle........I didn't realise it still varies.

Thanks everyone.


  #7  
Old September 13th 06, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,069
Default Max Problem

Dave Boomhauer wrote:
"PhilT" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dave Boomhauer wrote:

Loop Loss 50 dB
Downstream Line Rate 4000
Downstream Line Rate Timestamp 07/09/2006 20:56:57


4M on a fairly long line.

Maximum Stable Rate Re-set (Y/N) N
Profile Change Time 01/01/1111 00:00:00
Maximum Stable Rate 1152
Fault Threshold Rate 806
Interleaved Opt In


In a nutshell what does this all mean. What should my linespeed be
up and down and why could it be changing each time I login??


its a rate adaptive product. Are you using a USB modem ? A router
would sit on the line at a more consistent speed but could still
vary. Phil


It is a USB Modem. I thought from all the info' on Max that once the
training period was over that you had more or less a fixed speed,
but
at the maximum your line could handle........I didn't realise it
still varies.
Thanks everyone.


Yep it will go up & down & just wait for the electrical storms,
they'll certainly knock you for six. It's not your Loop loss which is
important here but your SNR, unfortunately your machine doesn't appear
to be able to offer you any stats about that.


  #8  
Old September 14th 06, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 391
Default Max Problem


Eeyore wrote:
Dave Boomhauer wrote:

Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 50 dB


Probably best on a fixed 2M serivice.


but sadly outside the spec for 2M fixed.

Phil

  #9  
Old September 14th 06, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,069
Default Max Problem

PhilT wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Dave Boomhauer wrote:

Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 50 dB


Probably best on a fixed 2M serivice.


but sadly outside the spec for 2M fixed.

Phil


May be possible to get a MAXDsl of 2Mb though...


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DNS Problem or company problem? Gareth Edmondson uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 9 May 23rd 05 09:45 AM
router problem or XP problem? can't access some www from one pc. Nat Stott uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 3 September 19th 03 10:05 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.