How setup two routers together?

Old September 12th 06, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tskogstrom

Default How setup two routers together?

Hi,

I have a broadband 8000 Wireless & LAN combination router Netgear
DG834PN (use as DHCP, IP 192.168.0.1) and have now also bougth a US
Robotics Wireless MAXg 5461A (Standard IP 192.168.2.1), to use it as
Printerserver with its USB port.

I can't connect the two routers together. From my labtops I just can
connect one router/"network" each time, not the two together. From my
LAN based PCs, they doesn't find the wireless router.

How can I create a network printer setup, with access from both LAN and
WAN based PCs?

Happy to all suggestions,
Regards
tskogstrom

Old September 12th 06, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On 12 Sep 2006 14:20:39 -0700, in uk.telecom.broadband , "tskogstrom"
wrote:

Hi,

I have a broadband 8000 Wireless & LAN combination router Netgear
DG834PN (use as DHCP, IP 192.168.0.1) and have now also bougth a US
Robotics Wireless MAXg 5461A (Standard IP 192.168.2.1), to use it as
Printerserver with its USB port.

This won't work - you need the two routers in the same subnet. Set the
USR one to 192.168.1.253 or something and try again. Don't forget to
turn off DHCP in the USR.

Also be aware that printservers are incompatible with a wide range of
printers. Check yours will work before spending further money.

--
Mark McIntyre
Old September 13th 06, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
devs

In message om,
tskogstrom writes
How can I create a network printer setup, with access from both LAN and
WAN based PCs?

Put them both on the same subnet. i.e 192.168.0.x 255.255.255.0. If
this is too difficult to understand you'd be better off getting a pro
into do it for you.
--
Devs
"Punchdown Pete the old Kroner"
Old September 13th 06, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

wrote:

Hi,

I have a broadband 8000 Wireless & LAN combination router Netgear
DG834PN (use as DHCP, IP 192.168.0.1) and have now also bougth a US
Robotics Wireless MAXg 5461A (Standard IP 192.168.2.1), to use it as
Printerserver with its USB port.

This won't work - you need the two routers in the same subnet. Set the
USR one to 192.168.1.253 or something and try again. Don't forget to
turn off DHCP in the USR.

And you should probably set the DHCP range in the Netgear to exclude
whatever address you choose for the USR one, just in case.

Also be aware that printservers are incompatible with a wide range of
printers. Check yours will work before spending further money.

Some drivers expect to have bi-directional communication with the printer,
and throw a wobbly if they can't have, for example because the printer is on
a print server. Others just throw a wobbly the moment they encounter
anything unusual anyway. Fixes differ by manufacturer and probably by
model, and include disabling the pop-up status window, changing the print
processor and spooling options in the Printer's Properties, and trying MS
rather than OEM drivers, occasionally even OEM rather than MS.

Old September 13th 06, 12:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Oh! And I didn't spot that on first reading. I think Mark probably meant to
say ...

news
wrote:

Hi,

I have a broadband 8000 Wireless & LAN combination router Netgear
DG834PN (use as DHCP, IP 192.168.0.1) and have now also bougth a US

Note the zero ...

Robotics Wireless MAXg 5461A (Standard IP 192.168.2.1), to use it as
Printerserver with its USB port.

This won't work - you need the two routers in the same subnet. Set the
USR one to 192.168.1.253 or something and try again. Don't forget to
turn off DHCP in the USR.

Note the one. I think he meant 192.168.0.253

Old September 18th 06, 04:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tskogstrom

Default Thanks ...

Thank you all for suggestions. It is a home network and I can choos
between two inkjet printers, one multifunctional Epson DX4850 and one
ordinary stylus D68. Epson claim both to support network printing.

I'll sit down and tst some of the approaches.

Regards
tskogstrom

Old September 18th 06, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tx2

"tskogstrom" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Thank you all for suggestions.

Here's another ;-)

Try to keep to the original thread and not start a completely new and
isolated one which means little or nothing to those not previously involved.

HTH.

Old September 18th 06, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 18 Sep 2006, "Tx2" wrote:

... new and isolated one ...

That's a function of *your* newsreader.

It seems Google can cope with posting the References OK, but the s/w from
Bill Gates is sorting by subject (?) and not keeping the thread together.

View it with some other newsreader and you'll probably see the thread
complete.... http://www.dslmax.info/UTB-2006.jpg
Old September 19th 06, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tx2

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
news
On 18 Sep 2006, "Tx2" wrote:

... new and isolated one ...

That's a function of *your* newsreader.

Hmmm noted.

It seems Google can cope with posting the References OK, but the s/w from
Bill Gates is sorting by subject (?) and not keeping the thread together.

It would seem so.

View it with some other newsreader and you'll probably see the thread
complete....

I guess it would have helped if the subject line hadn't changed, or had been
changed appropriately, so I did (do) have some very small axe to grind, I
guess... :-)

As for changing or viewing it with another client - I've been there with
Forte, done it with Gravity, and via a couple of others, got the T-shirt. I
find Outlook Express quite adequate for my needs - it's uncluttered and
quick, and although obviously it has its shortcomings, I've 'come back' to
it for the ease of use and simplistic interface.

Old September 19th 06, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tx2

"tskogstrom" wrote in message
ups.com...

Thank you all for suggestions.

Ignore mine. Although you perhaps didn't follow protocol by correctly
amending the subject line - and I'm not netcopping to cover up a shortcoming
in my Newsreader! - your post was indeed within the original thread, it
seems.

My apologies.