How do I request a new IP number?

Old September 13th 06, 08:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Janice

Default How do I request a new IP number?

I'm with NTL, how do I request a change of IP number?

TIA.

Old September 13th 06, 09:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

Janice wrote:

I'm with NTL, how do I request a change of IP number?

TIA.

If you're with ntl cable, you don't. The supplied addresses are
dynamic, and effectively uncontrolled. Mostly restarting things gives
the same IP address - but if you alter your MAC address you're almost
guaranteed a different IP address.

On a unix box, changing MAC address is often a one-line no-brainer
(ifconfig); for XP, see perhaps
http://www.nthelp.com/NT6/change_mac_w2k.htm (which I've not tried out -
I picked this from google).

ntl adsl I've no knowledge of, but would expect it to be the same.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old September 13th 06, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doz

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:23:05 +0100, Janice wrote:

I'm with NTL, how do I request a change of IP number?

TIA.

Not really possible on ntl.. try unplugging your cable modem for several
hours.. you *may* get a different IP.

One wonders... why do you want a different IP ?
Old September 13th 06, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 13 Sep 2006, Doz wrote:

One wonders... why do you want a different IP ?

Could have some web hosting account which "locks out" a user by IP if there
are just a few failed login attempts. Can be a major pain!

One reason for having two ISP connections - one dynamic IP and the other
fixed. Best of both worlds. If 2 connections seem OTT, some ISPs offer a
user the option to switch from dynamic to static and back, at will !!