VPN ports blocked by many ISPs, SSL VPN?

Old September 13th 06, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doz

Default VPN ports blocked by many ISPs, SSL VPN?

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:51:27 +0100, Peter wrote:

I have just been abroad (Croatia, Greece, Italy) and find that every
ISP there blocks the ports used by the standard Windows PPTP VPN.

The only way to make it work is to use a GPRS connection e.g.
Vodafone, and that has all ports open. Very expensive!!

It does however work in the USA, usually, not with T-Mobile though.

I gather that one way to get around this is to use an SSL VPN which
runs on port 80+443 (same as HTTP/HTTPS) but I can't find any routers
that support SSL VPN termination.

Currently I use a Draytek 2900.

Have you tried "iPig" server on home PC and client on mobile PC.. that works
over 443, but doesn't have HTTP proxy support (yet).

http://www.iopus.com/ipig/

Also the Linksys WRT54GL I have works well using SSH tunneling over 443 - you
just need the free "Putty" client for windows and connect to your router on port
22.
Old September 13th 06, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Doz wrote:
[...]

The RVL200 from Linksys works as an SSL endpoint and works quite well.
The only issue that I've had with it is that DNS names do not resolve
when working offsite FQDN or just computer name itself, everything must
be referenced by IP.