DG814 - multi-user?

Old September 13th 06, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yvonne

Default DG814 - multi-user?

I've got a Netgear DG814 router and this works fine until another PC in
the house connects to the Internet.

If the first PC is downloading steadily fom the Internet then the
router effectively bars acccess by the second PC until the first's
download has completed instead of sharing the bandwidth on an equal
basis between both PC's

Is this just a Netgear 814 limitation and is there a more capable
router for domestic use that can share concurrently between several
users?

Old September 13th 06, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

Yvonne wrote:
I've got a Netgear DG814 router and this works fine until another PC in
the house connects to the Internet.

If the first PC is downloading steadily fom the Internet then the
router effectively bars acccess by the second PC until the first's
download has completed instead of sharing the bandwidth on an equal
basis between both PC's

The DG814 is your fairly basic bog-standard NAT ADSL Modem/Router, so providing
that your side of the network is set up correctly, it should work perfectly
well, unless the site you are downloading from only allows one session per IP
Address (which would be really wierd, considering the number of people who hide
behind ISP proxy servers)

So I would suspect dodgy network configuration; check for duplicate addresses.
Check you do not have some form of network connection sharing configured on the
PC's if they are independently wired to the router.
Old September 13th 06, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yvonne

The DG814 is your fairly basic bog-standard NAT ADSL Modem/Router, so providing
that your side of the network is set up correctly, it should work perfectly
well, unless the site you are downloading from only allows one session per IP
Address (which would be really wierd, considering the number of people who hide
behind ISP proxy servers)

So I would suspect dodgy network configuration; check for duplicate addresses.
Check you do not have some form of network connection sharing configured on the
PC's if they are independently wired to the router.

The two PC's have different IP addresses and they connect over
separately over Cat into the router and presumably they get their IPs
from the router. One of them has a shared drive and a shared printer.
Does this help?

Old September 13th 06, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 13 Sep 2006 "Yvonne" wrote:

PC's have different IP addresses and they connect over separately

Is there anything "special" about the application in use by the first one?

I know that some apps (p2p) can open *lots* of connections and some can
cause a router to crash because of memory use. It's a little odd that your
DG814 is apparently blocking the second PC from using the internet... I
assume you can ping the first PC from the second quite easily (it might
be as Jim wrote, some network config problem - how about getting a
copy of what's reported using "ipconfig /all" from an MS-DOS window
(on Win XP, or use "winipcfg" on older versions of Windows), for both.
Old September 14th 06, 01:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stroller

"Yvonne" wrote:

I've got a Netgear DG814 router and this works fine until another PC in
the house connects to the Internet.

If the first PC is downloading steadily fom the Internet then the
router effectively bars acccess by the second PC until the first's
download has completed instead of sharing the bandwidth on an equal
basis between both PC's

This sounds rather unusual, and I think the problem is unlikely to be with
the router. The only cause for this that I can think of is if the second
PC is really hammering the bandwidth of the connection - BitTorrent or
Limewire might do it, or possibly a virus (if it saturates the upload then
packets confirming downloaded packets won't get through fast enough).

What kind of speeds are you getting if you go to ADSL guide's speed test
page? Downloading nothing else can you see if it makes any difference if
one of the PCs is switched off?

Not on AOL, are you? I can't say I've seen exactly these symptoms on AOL
ADSL, but they are the only ISP which requires lowering the MTU in the
router's settings (to about 1250 will do it).

Stroller.

Old September 14th 06, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 14 Sep 2006 01:14, Stroller wrote:

they are the only ISP which requires lowering the MTU in the router's settings
(to about 1250 will do it).

Felt sure that 1400 was the MTU setting needed for AOL, in the past, but
also felt I'd seen comments recently that it was no longer necessary to
mess about with it.