OT Best place for a Domain Name?

Old September 13th 06, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fatb°y °f the Underw°rld

Default OT Best place for a Domain Name?

I'm looking to get a Domain Name and was wondering which is the best place
to go to?

Thanks

Old September 13th 06, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Travec the Dacian

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:28:20 +0100, "Fatb├Şy ├Şf the Underw├Şrld"
wrote:

I'm looking to get a Domain Name and was wondering which is the best place
to go to?

I believe these guys have a top class reputation.
http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/default.asp

Only downside is they're not UK based.

Old September 13th 06, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

Fatb°y °f the Underw°rld wrote:
I'm looking to get a Domain Name and was wondering which is the best place
to go to?

What do you plan to do with that domain name?
(i.e. mail for you, mail for several people, mail for an entire org, basic web
forwarding (to an existing site via a frameset) or web hosting, or just
providing DNS A lookups for 'www.yourdmain.co.uk')

What root registry?
(a .uk, or one of the basic TLD's, (.com, .org, .net))

If .uk, there are many that will provide you with a basic service, including
mail forwarding (but not mail hosting (i.e. forward to some other account))
basic web site forwarding (i.e. www.yourdomain.co.uk will forward to
http://www.someIspHostingService.net...ace/index.html )

123-reg.co.uk provide the above, plus basic DNS control (so you can change A,
CNAME, and MX entries), plus mail forwarding for a colossal ú2.99/year or
thereabouts for .*.uk

Many other domain registrars are available.

If you want full rDNS for your home network, you are probably better off talking
to your ISP. If your ISP deals predominantly with the general public (i.e. AOL,
Tiscali, ntlworld, etc.) then you might as well try and herd cats.

I currently have a .co.uk via 123-reg which I manage for my parents, which is
just forwarding to a supanet email address. I also have a .net which is managed
by Fast24 via domainbuster.com which I use predominantly for email. A .org.uk
in the same place, mainly for web page redirection, and another .org.uk with my
ISP, which provides me with full DNS and rDNS for my home /28 network.

The registration via 123-reg worked instantly, although it may not have
propogated worldwide quite so fast, domainbuster were a little slower, and do
not respond to problems particularly fast by email (but I can telephone them,
which got the one fault I had in six years sorted). Domainbuster updates via
email can also be a little slow, but email hosting/forwarding is managed via
qmailadmin, providing mail list management, autoresponders, etc., and they
provide basic webmail (via squirrelmail) which works well enough.

My home network is via AAISP, consequently I could run my own DNS servers if I
really wanted to, but theirs work just as well. I've not used their mail
service as of yet.
Old September 13th 06, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:56:36 +0100, Jim Howes
wrote:

Fatb°y °f the Underw°rld wrote:
[...]

One simple test of finding a good registrar for your Domain requirements is to
determine how difficult, and maybe costly, it is to move your Domain name from
one registrar to another and the probably time scale. The procedure is very
different if it is a top level domain like .net, .com, compared, to say .co.uk

If the registrar is any good it will be a simple without cost transfer even if
you have been with them for a few days or many years. The transfer should take
no more than 10 days, often much quicker.

DCB

Old September 13th 06, 04:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 13 Sep 2006, David Bradley wrote:

One simple test of finding a good registrar for your Domain requirements is to
determine how difficult, and maybe costly, it is to move your Domain name from
one registrar to another and the probably time scale. The procedure is very
different if it is a top level domain like .net, .com, compared, to say .co.uk

Fortunately hardly any firms charge a fee for "Transfer out" these days and
I have only ever seen that on a .uk domain anyway. For transfers of most
of the popular TLDs (.com, .org, .net, .info) any transfer has a fee which
is payable to the new registration firm, but best read up on the details a
transfer might require (authentication codes for some TLDs). Surely it's a
bit "premature" to be discussing the transfer of a domain before one has
even been registered, though, remembering that any .uk is valid for 2 yrs.

If the registrar is any good it will be a simple without cost transfer even if
you have been with them for a few days or many years. The transfer should
take no more than 10 days, often much quicker.

ICANN rules prevent a transfer of a domain within the first 60 days from
being registered which would make this impossible for .com/net/org/info/biz
Old September 13th 06, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 13 Sep 2006 "Fatb°y °f the Underw°rld" wrote:

I'm looking to get a Domain Name ...

for .org.uk or .co.uk (or .me.uk perhaps) I'd suggest www.123reg.co.uk
or www.ukreg.com or even www.just-the-name.co.uk (or www.easily.co.uk
or www.1and1.co.uk ) These typically charge 10 pounds or less.

You can get a domain registered with webspace and a POP mailbox as well,
for under 15 pounds (for 2 years) at www.nameroute.co.uk (some of the
earlier ones allow you to "point" to ISP-provided webspace if you want to).

For .com, .org, .net I'd expect to pay under US$ 7 per year, and up to $3
for the first year if registering a .info domain. Look at the US websites,
not the UK sites, for those domains (compare www.hostway.co.uk and
www.hostway.com for any .com/org/net/info domains ) another worth
a check is www.ipowerweb.com (but depends how much you already
know about setting up DNS entries to be able to use other hosting
for the domain once registered). Best of luck!

--
Get 1 GB file storage for free : http://tinyurl.com/g5sbb

Can use any FTP client, or use (provided, Windows XP) utility
to back-up specific PC directories to remote storage by using
a schedule, or to always 'keep in sync' with your PC storage!
Old September 13th 06, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tx2

"Fatb°y °f the Underw°rld" wrote
in message ...

I'm looking to get a Domain Name and was wondering which is the best place
to go to?

Others may disagree, but for me, 1&1 every time. I also utilise their email
services, which i have found to be flawless. I believe their support may be
a little questionable and is not the quickest around, if you need it, which
i generally don't.

Old September 13th 06, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 13 Sep 2006 John Naismith wrote:

I've had no significant downtime on domains/sites there in the last 2
years. I wouldn't dream of using them as a business supplier though

Nor me, in part because Google will probably (*) not classify sites as
being in the UK (so someone ticking the "pages from the UK" on Google
will not get matches unless via AdWord payment).

(*) I don't know any 1and1-hosted sites to traceroute to, sorry.
Old September 14th 06, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tx2

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
On 13 Sep 2006 John Naismith wrote:

I've had no significant downtime on domains/sites there in the last 2
years. I wouldn't dream of using them as a business supplier though

Nor me, in part because Google will probably (*) not classify sites as
being in the UK (so someone ticking the "pages from the UK" on Google
will not get matches unless via AdWord payment).

I know a guy who's domain is registered with 1&1, but who hosts via
Hostroute.
It's quite the perfect combination, it seems.

Old September 14th 06, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 14 Sep 2006, "Tx2" wrote:

I know a guy who's domain is registered with 1&1, but...
It's quite the perfect combination, it seems.

I doubt I'd touch 1and1 again, partly because of their policies which might
be considered restrictive - they will allow N American customers to pay a
fee of US$ 5.99 (about 3.50 perhaps) while UK registrants wanting a .com
would be charged 8.89 (+VAT? so 10.45, perhaps... treble the cost?)...

Another thing was the way they seemed not to have any "cancel" / "no
renewal" option. If you hunted long enough you could find that you had
to use a different site to be able to cancel. It was a while ago when I
last used them, so maybe they have finally made it easy to opt out of
their automated renewal.

When they opened their datacentre in the USA they offered N Americans
(probably to grab market share) *three years* free hosting - of course,
if you were in Europe you could not get this deal.

At least Hostway allows a user to check and order on either of their web
sites (I see they have a low price deal for .info - 1.49 +VAT just for new
registrations, on their .co.uk site). I complained to them some time back
when they were charging about 18 pounds a year for .com (and they did
reduce the fee, but it seems they've done only enough to keep them 'in
line' with the other UK firms, such as 123reg.co.uk or ukreg.com and
1and1.co.uk as they currently charge a similar 8.95 +VAT as the rest).

Unfortunately far too many people will check only the registration firms
they spot via Google or similar, and will see UK-based firms, charging a
fairly high fee, as they're on a "level playing field" with the other UK
players, just head and shoulders higher in cost than the Americans.