best VOIP supplier

Old September 13th 06, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adam Lipscombe

Default best VOIP supplier

Folks,

Subjective for sure, but I seek opinions on the best VOIP supplier.

I currently have 2 landlines:

1 business line with BT business MAX ADSL on it for my home office.
1 residential line for the house. The residential line has a 2nd number (call sign) for the kids.

I would like to ditch the residential line and run a VOIP house phone over the business line.
Ideally there should be 2 numbers, 1 for me and my better half, 1 for the kids.

Ideally I would like a fixed monthly cost, or cheap minute-by-minute billing. Not PAYG top-up.
Reliability is important. The broadband connection seems pretty stable.

I looked at vonage but is seems you need special kit.

Any recommendations?

TIA - Adam

Old September 13th 06, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:14:30 +0100, Adam Lipscombe
wrote:

Folks,

Subjective for sure, but I seek opinions on the best VOIP supplier.

I currently have 2 landlines:

1 business line with BT business MAX ADSL on it for my home office.
1 residential line for the house. The residential line has a 2nd number (call sign) for the kids.

I would like to ditch the residential line and run a VOIP house phone over the business line.
Ideally there should be 2 numbers, 1 for me and my better half, 1 for the kids.

Ideally I would like a fixed monthly cost, or cheap minute-by-minute billing. Not PAYG top-up.
Reliability is important. The broadband connection seems pretty stable.

I looked at vonage but is seems you need special kit.

Locked kit. If you decide you don't want Vonage anymore you have a
piece of kit that is only works on Vonage - watch out for locked
devices.
If you are happy to have the same provider incoming/outgoing, for a
given line, you could use something as simple as a Linksys PAP2.
Strong advice: Do not buy one second hand and watch out for any that
are locked (to Vonage usually).
www.broadbandstuff.co.uk
usually have good prices.

Alternatively, if you want to route your business line through to the
same set of handsets as your residential voip line (OR you wish to
have more flexibility in VSPs) then choose a linksys/Sipura SPA-3000 -
and use a separate ATA for the kids.

You could also look at the Fritzbox but I can't advise on that at all
because I don't have one.

Any recommendations?

TIA - Adam

voip.co.uk
Residential: 2/month for inclusive off-peak calls (up to one
hour/call) and peak calls at 2p/call (up to one hour/call)
Reliable even if not so proficient at their billing. Geographical
number for your own city.
Remember that you don't have to use the same VSP for incoming and
outgoing.

If you want a provider with nice incoming services such as a good
voicemail, 1471, caller ID, call waiting etc. then look at
voipfone.co.uk

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old September 13th 06, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adam Lipscombe

Many thanks for this.

I want to keep the business line with normal telephone service, cos my customers know this number.
And I have to have the line for broadband anyway.

The residential handsets are separate from the business handsets (the office is outside the house).

Can I get this to work via my existing router (a BT "Business Hub" - aka 2Wire 2700VG) or do I need
the routers that you mention?
The hub has a phone port into which you can plug a normal telephone apparently

Thanks -Adam

Old September 13th 06, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:58:37 GMT, wrote:

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:30:58 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

Locked kit. If you decide you don't want Vonage anymore you have a
piece of kit that is only works on Vonage - watch out for locked
devices.

Do not tell half a tale Brian you do not buy the device from Vonage
anymore in fact I do not think you can buy them anymore the device
cost you nothing except the delivery charge leave Vonage within 91
days and they want it back leave after 91 days and you are left with a
fully working Linksys 3 port or 4 port Motorola fully working router
which has cost you nothing except the orignal delivery charge .
So what is there to loose be it locked or not .
If you are happy to have the same provider incoming/outgoing, for a
given line, you could use something as simple as a Linksys PAP2.
Strong advice: Do not buy one second hand and watch out for any that
are locked (to Vonage usually).

The PAP2 is damned expencive now at over 70.00 I thought it a bit
steep at 50.00 a year ago .

Just Froogled the prices. Seems like broadbandstuff is not the winner
now at all. Assuming not locked voiptalk are doing it at 52.86 inc
VAT. Other vendors are around 50. The alternative is to buy it on a
foreign web site. We nearly always get ripped off in the UK.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old September 13th 06, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:02:28 +0100, Adam Lipscombe
wrote:

Many thanks for this.

I want to keep the business line with normal telephone service, cos my customers know this number.
And I have to have the line for broadband anyway.

The residential handsets are separate from the business handsets (the office is outside the house).

Can I get this to work via my existing router (a BT "Business Hub" - aka 2Wire 2700VG) or do I need
the routers that you mention?
The hub has a phone port into which you can plug a normal telephone apparently

Is this supplied by BT - could it be locked to their service?? If not
then you could use this for a voip line.
There should be no reason why you should not connect an ATA to your
router. It may be necessary to 'forward' some ports in the router set
up. If you are able to access the set up then this should be no
problem.
For an ATA I'd check out the Sipura web site and then Froogle for
linksys or Sipura (same company) versions of the device you choose.

Thanks -Adam

Old September 13th 06, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Brian A explained :

Can I get this to work via my existing router (a BT "Business Hub" - aka
2Wire 2700VG) or do I need the routers that you mention?
The hub has a phone port into which you can plug a normal telephone
apparently

Is this supplied by BT - could it be locked to their service?? If not
then you could use this for a voip line.

Not just directed at you, Brian A........but what's up with putting a
space between the OP's comments & a reply? It's flippin'
annoying.......

Old September 13th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Jono" wrote in message

Brian A explained :

Can I get this to work via my existing router (a BT
"Business Hub" - aka 2Wire 2700VG) or do I need the
routers that you mention? The hub has a phone port into which you
can plug a
normal telephone apparently

Is this supplied by BT - could it be locked to their
service?? If not then you could use this for a voip
line.

Not just directed at you, Brian A........but what's up
with putting a space between the OP's comments & a reply?
It's flippin' annoying.......

He must be related to Dexter ;-)

Ivor

Old September 13th 06, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
The Iceman

"Adam Lipscombe" wrote in message
Folks,

Subjective for sure, but I seek opinions on the best VOIP supplier.

I currently have 2 landlines:

1 business line with BT business MAX ADSL on it for my home office.
1 residential line for the house. The residential line has a 2nd number
(call sign) for the kids.

I would like to ditch the residential line and run a VOIP house phone over
the business line.
Ideally there should be 2 numbers, 1 for me and my better half, 1 for the
kids.

Ideally I would like a fixed monthly cost, or cheap minute-by-minute
billing. Not PAYG top-up.
Reliability is important. The broadband connection seems pretty stable.

I looked at vonage but is seems you need special kit.

Any recommendations?

TIA - Adam

I'm happy with Sipgate.