Home network - can connect via IP but not machine name

Old September 14th 06, 10:01 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Home network - can connect via IP but not machine name

Hi,

Running a simple wired / wireless network at home, and was all running fine
until had a power cut and machines had to be re-booted.
Had set up file / printer sharing from main pc. From other pc I can only
access the main pc via IP address and file sharing. I cannot access the
main pc via its name or connect to the shared printer - and all this worked
fine before the power cut.

Any idea what provides the access via name as opposed to IP address, and
would this stop sharing the printer as well?

Thanks,
M.

Old September 14th 06, 11:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
james

"M" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi,

Running a simple wired / wireless network at home, and was all running
fine until had a power cut and machines had to be re-booted.
Had set up file / printer sharing from main pc. From other pc I can only
access the main pc via IP address and file sharing. I cannot access the
main pc via its name or connect to the shared printer - and all this
worked fine before the power cut.

Any idea what provides the access via name as opposed to IP address, and
would this stop sharing the printer as well?

If you haven't got a local DNS server or you never edited your Hostfile,
then you'll need to wait a while until broadcasts mean it sorts itself
out... but basically add an entry in the hostfile on the second PC for the
first, and it'll perhaps all come back to life.

Old September 14th 06, 02:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

james wrote in message
:

"M" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi,

Running a simple wired / wireless network at home, and was all
running fine until had a power cut and machines had to be re-booted.
Had set up file / printer sharing from main pc. From other pc I can
only access the main pc via IP address and file sharing. I cannot
access the main pc via its name or connect to the shared printer -
and all this worked fine before the power cut.

Any idea what provides the access via name as opposed to IP address,
and would this stop sharing the printer as well?

If you haven't got a local DNS server or you never edited your
Hostfile, then you'll need to wait a while until broadcasts mean it
sorts itself out... but basically add an entry in the hostfile on the
second PC for the first, and it'll perhaps all come back to life.

Putting entries in your hosts file assumes that you've configured all your
PCs with static IP addresses rather than using DHCP so you can guarantee
that a given PC will always have the same IP address.

I've found that my three PCs (two XP Home, one W98) can access each others'
shares by computer name \\computername\sharename as soon as one has booted,
without needing to wait for PCs to broadcast their presence on the network,
and I haven't got static IPS and HOSTS or LMHOSTS entries. TCP on each PC is
set to use NetBIOS setting from router (as opposed to "Enable" or
"Disable") - I wondered whether things worked because I'd enabled NetBIOS
until I checked this setting just now.

Old September 14th 06, 03:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"Martin Underwood" [email protected] wrote in message
james wrote in message
:

"M" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the comments guys - found the culprit. I have a feeling that one
of MS wonderful Windows updates had removed the "File and Printer Sharing"
exception in the Windows Firewall (yes, I know that it's not a great
product, but can't use a proper firewall on this second pc).
M.

Old September 14th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tx2

"M" wrote in message
. uk...

Thanks for the comments guys - found the culprit. I have a feeling that
one of MS wonderful Windows updates had removed the "File and Printer
Sharing" exception in the Windows Firewall (yes, I know that it's not a
great product, but can't use a proper firewall on this second pc).

Why?

I'd check out the Comodo firewall, personally.