Changing from BT ADSL home to ADSL business (a warning)

Old September 14th 06, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
jasee

Default Changing from BT ADSL home to ADSL business (a warning)

I thought this would be a good idea. As it's much more useable with voip for
instance and the price is almost the same

The people at wholesale said that I could take my email addresses with me,
however, it now seems that they requre an extra 1.50 a month to do this.

The last thing you want to loose is email addresses which in my case I have
had for many years.

Old September 14th 06, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Colin Forrester

jasee wrote:
I thought this would be a good idea. As it's much more useable with voip for
instance and the price is almost the same

The people at wholesale said that I could take my email addresses with me,
however, it now seems that they requre an extra 1.50 a month to do this.

The last thing you want to loose is email addresses which in my case I have
had for many years.

I am not sure if you are warning that the original email address may be
lost or of the charge.

I have protected a series of email addresses for the 1.50 a month -
seems good value to me.

Old September 14th 06, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
It's Me

I have protected a series of email addresses for the 1.50 a month - seems
good value to me.

Not when freeserve (wanadaoo, Orange) ones cost you 20p a year or less.

Old September 14th 06, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Colin Forrester

It's Me wrote:
I have protected a series of email addresses for the 1.50 a month - seems
good value to me.

Not when freeserve (wanadaoo, Orange) ones cost you 20p a year or less.

Which makes you wonder how long that will last - what are the monthly
direct debit collection costs on 20p?

Old September 14th 06, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
PhilT

Colin Forrester wrote:

Which makes you wonder how long that will last - what are the monthly
direct debit collection costs on 20p?

there aren't any, its derived from phone call charges for dialling in
to keep it alive. Seems you can easily resurrect it from the web
without even doing the dial-in trick.

Also the BT Basic email option is free just to preserve an
@btinternet.com account and vie wit with webmail.

Phil

Old September 14th 06, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Colin Forrester

PhilT wrote:
Colin Forrester wrote:

Which makes you wonder how long that will last - what are the monthly
direct debit collection costs on 20p?

there aren't any, its derived from phone call charges for dialling in
to keep it alive. Seems you can easily resurrect it from the web
without even doing the dial-in trick.

Also the BT Basic email option is free just to preserve an
@btinternet.com account and vie wit with webmail.

OK, we needed to protect eight linked email addresses and are charged
1.50 per month for the lot. Still feel this is good value though.

Old September 14th 06, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Crane

"It's Me" wrote in message

I have protected a series of email addresses for the 1.50 a month -

seems
good value to me.

Not when freeserve (wanadaoo, Orange) ones cost you 20p a year or less.

Then move to Freeserve you cheapskate. You want your cake and eat it and for
nothing. You are not the kind of customer that they want to attract on a
business package.

Regards
Andrew

Old September 14th 06, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
jasee

Andrew Crane wrote:
"It's Me" wrote in message

I have protected a series of email addresses for the 1.50 a month
- seems good value to me.

Not when freeserve (wanadaoo, Orange) ones cost you 20p a year or
less.

Then move to Freeserve you cheapskate. You want your cake and eat it
and for nothing. You are not the kind of customer that they want to
attract on a business package.

As the OP, my complaint was that I wasn't informed and I don't require the
extra email addresses of Business Broadband anyway or the flashy Outlook Web
Acess, access.

Actually enabling this requires only a small change in their DNS, so I don't
see why it has to be a monthly burden

Old September 14th 06, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Crane

"jasee" wrote in message
As the OP, my complaint was that I wasn't informed and I don't require the
extra email addresses of Business Broadband anyway or the flashy Outlook

Web
Acess, access.

Actually enabling this requires only a small change in their DNS, so I

don't
see why it has to be a monthly burden

Pricing is market led, not down to resource usage. Most people don't penny
pinch and so will stand the cost. If you want it for nothing I'm sure there
are companies out there who are misguided enough to think they can make the
money back off you elsewhere. Like everything in life you get what you pay
for.

Also, there will be more to change than the DNS. A little knowledge is
dangerous.

Regards
Andrew

Old September 14th 06, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
NoNeedToKnow

On 14 Sep 2006, Colin Forrester wrote:

OK, we needed to protect eight linked email addresses

So you'll carry on paying them, for years and years, to "keep the same
e-mail addresses" when in truth you could get a domain and have all the
e-mail addresses you use now, and more, and also phase out those which
currently cost some monthly fee - it's really close to being a "protection
racket" when ISPs have a monthly fee for such things!

The other silly fee that some ISPs charge for is a static IP address - I've
seen as much as 3 quid a month for that... with the ISP I'm using I can
switch from dynamic to static anytime I want without any fee being
charged at all Odd that some ISPs can be flexible while others make
it costly or "impossible"...