Tiscali and British Telecom... hopeless

Old September 14th 06, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cog

Default Tiscali and British Telecom... hopeless

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.te...686fb03c47f948

ADSL finally synced again on Sunday 10th September (12 days later). Except
the line rate is now reported as 160kb/s up and down -- previously it was
a 2272kb/s down, 228kb/s up and rock solid.

I get 16KB per second downloading, if I'm lucky. Usually it's 9KB/s and
dropped corrupt packets. Tiscali Indian tech support give the usual
apologies and refuse to even put a date on when it will be fixed.

It's BT's work too. I'll take a guess at what happened. BT engineers
botched the original exchange work and the line was seriously degraded
refusing to synch at the 2mb speed to which it was set. An BT engineer
finally takes time from his fag break and porno mag to take a quick look
at the previous botch job, and in fine cowboy tradition decides that
instead of fixing it... he'll just set the line rate down.

Sound familiar? Sounds like my previous encounters with BT where I used to
work.
Old September 14th 06, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Cog wrote:

ADSL finally synced again on Sunday 10th September (12 days later). Except
the line rate is now reported as 160kb/s up and down -- previously it was
a 2272kb/s down, 228kb/s up and rock solid.

Previously a BT Datastream or IPStream connection no doubt.

Is it now on Tiscali LLU, or BT MaxDSL ? The "upgrading the exchange"
thing suggests installing LLU, as MaxDSL has been available since
April.

I get 16KB per second downloading, if I'm lucky. Usually it's 9KB/s and
dropped corrupt packets. Tiscali Indian tech support give the usual
apologies and refuse to even put a date on when it will be fixed.

That's Tiscali for you. Biggest bunch of ****wits in the industry. Only
advertising gets them customers.

It's BT's work too. I'll take a guess at what happened. BT engineers
botched the original exchange work and the line was seriously degraded
refusing to synch at the 2mb speed to which it was set. An BT engineer
finally takes time from his fag break and porno mag to take a quick look
at the previous botch job, and in fine cowboy tradition decides that
instead of fixing it... he'll just set the line rate down.

that doesn't happen. Your modem and the DSLAM negotiate the best speed
the line conditions allow.

Sound familiar?

just sounds like a rant TBH.

Phil

Old September 14th 06, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cog

You missed the part that said "BT's work". Tiscali are a shower of ****e,
but BT aren't far behind. **** up the upgrade to the exchange, and then
**** up the repair. Class.
Old September 14th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Cog wrote:
You missed the part that said "BT's work". Tiscali are a shower of ****e,
but BT aren't far behind. **** up the upgrade to the exchange, and then
**** up the repair. Class.

There was no upgrade to the exchange, Tiscali are feeding you BS.

Phil

Old September 14th 06, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Cog wrote:
[...]

Only problem.......take out BT & in their place put contractors,
simple as that. Tiscali had their kit installed by contractors & it
is maintaned by contractors & LLU jumpering also done by contractors.

But you just carry on blaming BT, they're getting used to it by now..

Old September 14th 06, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

"kráftéé" wrote:

Cog wrote:
[...]

BT recently fixed my ( previously underperforming Tiscali ) connection in a
jiffy !

Graham

Old September 14th 06, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Cog wrote:

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 08:00:48 -0700, PhilT wrote:

That's Tiscali for you. Biggest bunch of ****wits in the industry. Only
advertising gets them customers.

You missed the part that said "BT's work". Tiscali are a shower of ****e,
but BT aren't far behind. **** up the upgrade to the exchange, and then
**** up the repair. Class.

Is your circuit LLU'd ot not ?

If it's been LLU'd then BT aren't even involved.

Graham

Old September 14th 06, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

PhilT wrote:

Cog wrote:
You missed the part that said "BT's work". Tiscali are a shower of ****e,
but BT aren't far behind. **** up the upgrade to the exchange, and then
**** up the repair. Class.

There was no upgrade to the exchange, Tiscali are feeding you BS.

They are well known for doing this btw.

See a recent thread here. Accrington Exchange

" A couple of weeks ago, I got a letter from Tiscali saying that on the 30th
August, BT would be "upgrading" my exchange and the broadband access would
be unavailable for a couple of hours.

Well, OK... I thought.

Come the 30th, and sure enough I wake up to find that my modem will no
sync to the exchange. So I wait... and wait... and wait. All day in fact.
I call call Tiscali tech support who tell me that it will be available by
the end of the day. So I wait.......................... "

It wasn't BT at all ! It was a Tiscali LLU job.

Graham

Old September 14th 06, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cog

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 18:22:20 +0100, Eeyore wrote:

See a recent thread here. Accrington Exchange

Come the 30th, and sure enough I wake up to find that my modem will no
sync to the exchange. So I wait... and wait... and wait. All day in
fact. I call call Tiscali tech support who tell me that it will be
available by the end of the day. So I wait.......................... "

It wasn't BT at all ! It was a Tiscali LLU job.

That was my post... I've since had it confirmed by a supervisor that it is
BT doing the bodge-job. Obviously they are being subcontracted now rather
than running the line directly.
Old September 14th 06, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cog

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 18:01:23 +0100, kráftéé wrote:

But you just carry on blaming BT, they're getting used to it by now..

It's BT's 'work'.