wifi

Old September 15th 06, 09:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
moffs

Default wifi

with the advent of wifi it is uncouragable that tvl in uk want to put a
price on having a wifi router in your own home. this is an envrigment
of our human rights to have a network in out home without wires. this
to me is just another way for the BBC tring to gain money out of our
fast depleting pockets.
hope everbody feels the same as me

Old September 15th 06, 10:10 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

moffs wrote in message
:

with the advent of wifi it is uncouragable that tvl in uk want to put
a price on having a wifi router in your own home. this is an
envrigment of our human rights to have a network in out home without
wires. this to me is just another way for the BBC tring to gain money
out of our fast depleting pockets.
hope everbody feels the same as me

Has anyone clarified whether or not wifi networks need a TV licence? There
have been a lot of threads recently about laptops and wifi, talking about
the need for a laptop with an RF input to be covered by a TV licence. That
probably makes sense.

But the concept of having a TV licence for a wifi network seems bizarre.
What has wifi got to do with TV programme reception? If it was a requirement
for all internet connections to be covered by a TV licence, it would make
*slightly* more sense because you could receive TV programmes through the
internet. But why tax only those people who use wifi to distribute that
broadband signal around their houses?

If there's some talk of requiring a separate licence (not the TV licence)
for running a wireless network, that's another matter, but then you're going
to have to tax all other generators of wifi frequencies as well, such as
microwave ovens and (I think) DECT phones. Anyway, 2.4 GHz is designated as
licence-free, isn't it?

Old September 15th 06, 10:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 15/09/2006 in message
.com moffs wrote:

with the advent of wifi it is uncouragable that tvl in uk want to put a
price on having a wifi router in your own home. this is an envrigment
of our human rights to have a network in out home without wires. this
to me is just another way for the BBC tring to gain money out of our
fast depleting pockets.
hope everbody feels the same as me

Probably a forlorn hope unless you let us know what you think
'uncouragable' means.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.18.1.3
Old September 15th 06, 10:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve Miller

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
On 15/09/2006 in message
.com moffs wrote:

with the advent of wifi it is uncouragable that tvl in uk want to put a
price on having a wifi router in your own home. this is an envrigment
of our human rights to have a network in out home without wires. this
to me is just another way for the BBC tring to gain money out of our
fast depleting pockets.
hope everbody feels the same as me

Probably a forlorn hope unless you let us know what you think
'uncouragable' means.

It does not mean very much at all. For starters it is not in the
dictionary. ; )

Old September 15th 06, 11:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John

In article , Martin
Underwood [email protected]? writes
moffs wrote in message
.com:

[...]

A TV license is needed for apparatus that will be used to watch
"BRODCAST" TV programmes, and for nothing else.

WiFi makes use of the PUBLIC LICENSED 2.4 and 5.2 Ghz parts of the
spectrum. As it is a PUBLIC LICENSE any equipment transmitting on these
wavelengths does not need a license from the Government to transmit and
receive data.

If anyone is telling people that a TV broadcast license is needed to use
a WiFi router or AP unit, which is not used for watching broadcast TV
programmes, then they are welcome to pay for the license for something
they do not need to do.

The Government will love you to voluntarily paying a tax that is not
demanded. However, they are cute enough to screw money out of you in
many other ways.

DO NOT FALL FOR THIS ... IT CAN BE CONSIDERED A SCAM AND TROLL BAIT!

I will now be rude ... anyone who falls for this can be considered
either very naive or thick!

--
John Clark

In the "reply to", replace either "fredclark" or "Workgroup" with
"jonclark" for direct e-mail.
Old September 15th 06, 12:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article .com,
moffs says...
with the advent of wifi it is uncouragable that tvl in uk want to put a
price on having a wifi router in your own home. this is an envrigment
of our human rights to have a network in out home without wires. this
to me is just another way for the BBC tring to gain money out of our
fast depleting pockets.
hope everbody feels the same as me

Oh do please go **** off and get a grip. Having Wifi in the home isn't
a human right. Doesn't even come close.

--
Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.
Old September 15th 06, 12:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

moffs wrote:
with the advent of wifi it is uncouragable that tvl in uk want to put
a price on having a wifi router in your own home. this is an
envrigment of our human rights to have a network in out home without
wires. this to me is just another way for the BBC tring to gain money
out of our fast depleting pockets.

WTF are you wibbling about?

hope everbody feels the same as me

No , most of us are capable of logical thought and coherent expression
--
Alex

Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old September 15th 06, 02:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Robert Sneddon

In message , John
writes

The Government will love you to voluntarily paying a tax that is not
demanded.

I have been in the situation of paying a tax for the wrong reasons (my
own stupid fault). When I explained this to the Inland Revenue, they
refunded my overpayments without demur.

However, they are cute enough to screw money out of you in
many other ways.

DO NOT FALL FOR THIS ... IT CAN BE CONSIDERED A SCAM AND TROLL BAIT!

All of the funding the Government collects for TV Licencing goes to the
BBC, minus the costs of actually collecting the fees. If you are tricked
into paying for a TV licence because you have a wifi network and no TV,
the BBC is the beneficiary.
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon