number porting

Old September 15th 06, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adam Lipscombe

Default number porting

Folks,

Is it possible to port a POTS landline number ported to VOIP?
Like you can with mobile numbers?

Thanks -Adam
Old September 15th 06, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Adam Lipscombe wrote:
Folks,

Is it possible to port a POTS landline number ported to VOIP?
Like you can with mobile numbers?

It (probably) depends on the VoIP provider, and it may also depends
on who you got your existing number from (eg. BT, NTL, etc.) Some can,
(eg. Gradwell), some can't.

Gradwells link is:
http://www.gradwell.com/voip/number_porting.php

It's not free, but if it's a service you want then it's a service they
(and others, probably) offer...

Gordon
Old September 15th 06, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 08:53:51 +0000 (UTC),
(Gordon Henderson) wrote:

In article ,
Adam Lipscombe wrote:
Folks,

Is it possible to port a POTS landline number ported to VOIP?
Like you can with mobile numbers?

It (probably) depends on the VoIP provider, and it may also depends
on who you got your existing number from (eg. BT, NTL, etc.) Some can,
(eg. Gradwell), some can't.

Gradwells link is:
http://www.gradwell.com/voip/number_porting.php

It's not free, but if it's a service you want then it's a service they
(and others, probably) offer...

Gordon

Someone did tell me they had ported to voipfone.
If it is possible port to voiptalk.org there is the advantage that you
can re-route to a different SIP via theri web site. The navigation on
their site is B awful but the numbers seem to work OK.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old September 15th 06, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
BKM

"Adam Lipscombe" wrote in message
Folks,

Is it possible to port a POTS landline number ported to VOIP?
Like you can with mobile numbers?

Thanks -Adam

Porting is a an area fraught with mis/disinformation. In order for one
carrier to port a geographic number to another both operators must have a
porting agreement which involves technical as well as commercial terms. Many
operators who have geographic number allocations from Ofcom have very few
porting agreements. The problem has been exacerbated in recent years by
operators greedily snapping up vast amounts of geographic numbers (which for
some areas have run out completely) in order to deliver the same to the DID
market for VoIP.
You should always ask an operator what porting agreement they have in place
if you are concerned about changing your supplier, or your supplier going
bust ! In many cases you will not get a clear answer, particularly if your
supplier is a reseller and at the bottom of a very long food chain in the
telecomms market.
The same is true for the non-geo numbers e.g. 0845. I have had big problems
in the past where 0845 number ranges have ben unobtainable for hours on end.
When we finally found the problem at the wholesale level the operator could
not port the numbers and in addition refused to speak to us directly as we
were the customers of their distributor's reseller.
The 'next generation networks' (NGN's) promise a more flexible environment
being based entirely upon IP which makes the concept of telephone numbers
redundant. However, I fear it will be a long and rocky road until the
benefits filter down to us consumers. Meanwhile, Caveat Emptor !

Old September 15th 06, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
NutCracker

On 2006-09-15 09:44:41 +0100, Adam Lipscombe said:

Folks,

Is it possible to port a POTS landline number ported to VOIP?
Like you can with mobile numbers?

Thanks -Adam

voip.co.uk can do it for you. However, I've been waiting a bl00dy long
time and I'm still not hooked up yet. The last update this week was
that the porting had failed. No reason given. I'm waiting on further
news as to why...

Nutz

Old September 15th 06, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

NutCracker expressed precisely :

Is it possible to port a POTS landline number ported to VOIP?
Like you can with mobile numbers?

voip.co.uk can do it for you.

I hadn't realised it was a service they were offering, or attempting to
offer.

Old September 16th 06, 01:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"BKM" wrote in message

[snip]

The 'next generation networks' (NGN's) promise a more
flexible environment being based entirely upon IP which
makes the concept of telephone numbers redundant.

How will you dial them from a normal phone then..? What I like about the
current way of doing things is it's fully backwards-compatible, assuming
the right bits of equipment. For example, one of my hobbies is collecting
and restoring old telephones. I have some wired to a small exchange down
in the garage, there are tie lines from this to the main PABX in the
house, which performs pulse-to-DTMF conversion, I can dial out on my VoIP
accounts using an old 1930's rotary dial phone, amongst others..!

Ivor