What is the logic in Skype contact list order?

Old September 15th 06, 11:15 AM posted to comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,alt.comp.freeware,uk.telecom.voip
Jan Drew

Default What is the logic in Skype contact list order?

Can someone explain the logic of the Skype contact list order?

I have Skype contact entries such as:
pc Alex
pc Barry
pc Charles
ph Amy
ph Barbara
ph Cindy

Where pc indicates a computer-to-computer connection and ph indicates a
Skype-Out computer-to-telephone connection.

I would like the order in the contact list to be as shown above.
But, for some strange reason, the Skype contact list order is all jumbled
up. That is, it certainly isn't alphabetical.

What is the "logic" of the Skype contact list order?
How does one change it to be purely alphabetical (like it should be)?

Thanks in advance,
Cindy
Old September 15th 06, 11:34 AM posted to comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,alt.comp.freeware,uk.telecom.voip
thoss

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 Jan Drew wrote:

Can someone explain the logic of the Skype contact list order?

I have Skype contact entries such as:
pc Alex
pc Barry
pc Charles
ph Amy
ph Barbara
ph Cindy

Where pc indicates a computer-to-computer connection and ph indicates a
Skype-Out computer-to-telephone connection.

I would like the order in the contact list to be as shown above.
But, for some strange reason, the Skype contact list order is all jumbled
up. That is, it certainly isn't alphabetical.

What is the "logic" of the Skype contact list order?
How does one change it to be purely alphabetical (like it should be)?

I always see contacts currently on line at the top. Maybe the order is
how recently they were on line.
--
Thoss
Old September 15th 06, 07:15 PM posted to comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,alt.comp.freeware,uk.telecom.voip
Robert Gauld

thoss wrote:
[...]

Assuming that pc/ph is entered as the firstname and the name as lastname
is it possible it's sorting by lastname then first name?
Old September 15th 06, 08:19 PM posted to comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,alt.comp.freeware,uk.telecom.voip
thoss

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 Robert Gauld wrote:

thoss wrote:
[...]

Could well be that, combined with how recently people were on line. At
present I have three contacts on line, sorted in surname order. Below
that are two or three groups of names each also sorted in surname order.
--
Thoss
Old September 16th 06, 11:20 AM posted to comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,alt.comp.freeware,uk.telecom.voip
SR

Jan Drew wrote in :

..What is the "logic" of the Skype contact list order?
How does one change it to be purely alphabetical (like it should
be)?

Thanks in advance,
Cindy

You will probably get more technical information if you ask at
http://forum.skype.com
Old September 16th 06, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Darren J Longhorn

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:15:43 GMT, Jan Drew
wrote:

What is the "logic" of the Skype contact list order?

Mine is ordered as online in alphabetical order then offline in
alphabetical order.

Old September 17th 06, 02:18 AM posted to comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,alt.comp.freeware,uk.telecom.voip
Sharon B.

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 10:20:06 GMT, SR wrote:
..What is the "logic" of the Skype contact list order?
How does one change it to be purely alphabetical

You will probably get more technical information if you ask at
http://forum.skype.com

I can't tell what the contact list sort order is but it sure drives me
crazy using the CIT200 Linksys Skype cordless telephone because it is so
very difficult to scroll in that teeny tiny telephone screen.

I think my contact list order on the CIT200 seems to be those online first
followed by my SkypeOut contacts followed by my offline contacts. This
default contact list order makes no sense to me but that is what I think it
is.

I did try to run the Skype "View | Sort Contacts by Name" option but that
doesn't seem to change the order one bit in that teeny tiny Linksys CIT200
Skype telephone contact list screen.

If anyone knows how to change the contact list order on the Skype
telephone, I'd be appreciative.

Sharon E.
Old September 17th 06, 10:08 AM posted to comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,alt.comp.freeware,uk.telecom.voip
thoss

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 Sharon B. wrote:

I think my contact list order on the CIT200 seems to be those online first
followed by my SkypeOut contacts followed by my offline contacts. This
default contact list order makes no sense to me but that is what I think it
is.

And within those groups, how are the names ordered? In alphabetical
order of the second word, i.e. surname?
--
Thoss
Old September 18th 06, 11:48 AM posted to comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,alt.comp.freeware,uk.telecom.voip
SR

Sharon B. wrote in :

I can't tell what the contact list sort order is but it sure drives
me crazy using the CIT200 Linksys Skype cordless telephone because
it is so very difficult to scroll in that teeny tiny telephone
screen.

I don't know anything about the CIT200. Does it allow you to type names?
For example, you would press 37 to show names beginning with "FR", like
you can on a cell phone.
Old September 19th 06, 05:54 AM posted to comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,alt.comp.freeware,uk.telecom.voip
Sharon B.

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 10:08:39 +0100, thoss wrote:
And within those groups, how are the names ordered? In alphabetical
order of the second word, i.e. surname?

Hi Thoss,
The groups in Skype seem to be ordered alphabetically, starting with:
- All Contacts
- American Contacts
- British Contacts
- Canadian Contacts
etc.

Within any group, the order is apparently:
- Contacts which are online at the moment (sorted alphabetially by first
letter)
- Contacts which are SkypeOut contacts (sorted by first letter)
- Contacts which are offline at the moment (sorted by first letter).

The fact this contact list moves around (depending on who is online or not)
and the fact that the SkypeOut contacts are not next to their respective
computer-to-computer contacts makes the whole contact list order confusing,
at least to me.

I still haven't figured it out. And, to judge by the responses to this
query, neither has anyone else.

Pity. Skype is so otherwise intuitive.
Sharon