"tin can"effect on incoming calls

Old September 18th 06, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Scope

Default "tin can"effect on incoming calls

Hi,

Having used VoIP for over a year now I've never really had a problem
with the quality of the calls.. Now however, having started to use VoIP
for incoming aswell as outgoing I am having a problem where the person
who calls me hears a "tin can" voice. The incoming voice is fine. I am
running on a 4mb line, so bandwidth should not be a problem. I have
tried a number of codecs and they all sound similar.

What can I do to improve on this?
Old September 18th 06, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Daviey Walker

Scope wrote:
Hi,

Having used VoIP for over a year now I've never really had a problem
with the quality of the calls.. Now however, having started to use VoIP
for incoming aswell as outgoing I am having a problem where the person
who calls me hears a "tin can" voice. The incoming voice is fine. I am
running on a 4mb line, so bandwidth should not be a problem. I have
tried a number of codecs and they all sound similar.

What can I do to improve on this?

What protocol are you using (SIP / IAX2?) What ports have you opened?
Old September 18th 06, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Scope:
Hi,

Having used VoIP for over a year now I've never really had a problem
with the quality of the calls.. Now however, having started to use
VoIP for incoming aswell as outgoing I am having a problem where the
person who calls me hears a "tin can" voice. The incoming voice is
fine. I am running on a 4mb line, so bandwidth should not be a
problem. I have tried a number of codecs and they all sound similar.

What can I do to improve on this?

4Mbit is your incomming speed, so incoming sound would be fine.

Your outgoing speed would be much lower, but should still be enough to
make outgoing sound to be fine too.

Though various codecs may make some differences, but not to make then
sound like a tin can.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old September 18th 06, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Scope

Daviey Walker wrote:
Scope wrote:
Hi,

Having used VoIP for over a year now I've never really had a problem
with the quality of the calls.. Now however, having started to use
VoIP for incoming aswell as outgoing I am having a problem where the
person who calls me hears a "tin can" voice. The incoming voice is
fine. I am running on a 4mb line, so bandwidth should not be a
problem. I have tried a number of codecs and they all sound similar.

What can I do to improve on this?

What protocol are you using (SIP / IAX2?) What ports have you opened?

Sorry, this is SIP, and I have forwarded 5060/5061.. I tried without
forwarding the ports but incoming phonecalls would not ring, but
terminate at the provider (even though it was registering OK).
Old September 19th 06, 02:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Scope" wrote in message

Hi,

Having used VoIP for over a year now I've never really
had a problem with the quality of the calls.. Now
however, having started to use VoIP for incoming aswell
as outgoing I am having a problem where the person who
calls me hears a "tin can" voice. The incoming voice is
fine. I am running on a 4mb line, so bandwidth should not
be a problem. I have tried a number of codecs and they
all sound similar.
What can I do to improve on this?

What service/equipment are you using..?

Ivor

Old September 19th 06, 07:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Daviey Walker

Scope wrote:
Daviey Walker wrote:
Scope wrote:
Hi,

Having used VoIP for over a year now I've never really had a problem
with the quality of the calls.. Now however, having started to use
VoIP for incoming aswell as outgoing I am having a problem where the
person who calls me hears a "tin can" voice. The incoming voice is
fine. I am running on a 4mb line, so bandwidth should not be a
problem. I have tried a number of codecs and they all sound similar.

What can I do to improve on this?

What protocol are you using (SIP / IAX2?) What ports have you opened?

Sorry, this is SIP, and I have forwarded 5060/5061.. I tried without
forwarding the ports but incoming phonecalls would not ring, but
terminate at the provider (even though it was registering OK).

Could you describe the sound as 'underwater'?

Try forwarding the following ports:
5060 / UDP (SIP signaling)
(5061 required if more than more concurrent external call)
5004 / UDP (RTP, language)
(5005 required if more than ....)
10000 UDP (STUN)

For X-Lite use: Port 8000 - 8019 / UDP
Old September 19th 06, 07:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Scope

Daviey Walker wrote:
Scope wrote:
Daviey Walker wrote:

Could you describe the sound as 'underwater'?

Try forwarding the following ports:
5060 / UDP (SIP signaling)
(5061 required if more than more concurrent external call)
5004 / UDP (RTP, language)
(5005 required if more than ....)
10000 UDP (STUN)

For X-Lite use: Port 8000 - 8019 / UDP

No I dont think it sounds like underwater, more of a metal sound.

I have forwarded the ports and will keep an eye on the problem as it
doesnt happen all the time.

Thank you for your input.
Old September 19th 06, 07:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Scope

Ivor Jones wrote:
"Scope" wrote in message

Hi,

What service/equipment are you using..?

Ivor

Im using a PAP2 on voip.co.uk.
Old September 19th 06, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Scope

The Invalid wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:56:42 +0100, Scope wrote:

What can I do to improve on this?

Dump it and get Skype

Oh Please! Please dont start that argument here in my thread. I have
done my research and ended up on SIP (no competition really).
Old September 19th 06, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:55:04 +0100, Scope wrote:

The Invalid wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:56:42 +0100, Scope wrote:

What can I do to improve on this?

I use an SPA-3000 with voip.co.uk for outgoing calls and the call
quality is very good. There was a sustained period of time when this
was not so. However, I believe that it was NOT the VSP's fault.
At the time Blueyonder were in a process of upgrading. I got some
terrible quality calls and calls dropping out. So, this could also be
a fault of your ISP as I can confirm that voip.co.uk are A1 for me
atm.
1. I would suggest that you try a different codec.
Currently my preferred is G711a but with all other codecs enabled.
2. This might sound simplistic and obvious, but often these things
have simple solutions...have you tried using a different handset?

Dump it and get Skype

Oh Please! Please dont start that argument here in my thread. I have
done my research and ended up on SIP (no competition really).

PLEASE, PLEASE can we have a separate newsgroup for Skype !!
uk.telecom.skype please and :-)
rename this one uk.telecom.skypeisbanned.voip

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.