WiMAX

Old September 18th 06, 05:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim Cogher

Default WiMAX

Hi all,

I have just finished writing up the End of Course Assignment for my course
with the O.U. (T209 if anyone's interested). The major subject of the
assignment was WiMAX. Has anyone any practical experience with this
technology? Reception speed, Reception quality?

I'm not after anything I can use for my course, that's finished and sent,
i'm just curious.

Kind Regards,

Tim.

Old September 18th 06, 10:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony Wright

In message , Tim Cogher
writes

I have just finished writing up the End of Course Assignment for my course
with the O.U. (T209 if anyone's interested). The major subject of the
assignment was WiMAX. Has anyone any practical experience with this
technology? Reception speed, Reception quality?

No.

I'm not after anything I can use for my course, that's finished and sent,
i'm just curious.

I assume that in your research on WiMax you came across an article by
Steve Kennedy on why it won't fly:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/03/uk-wimax-outlook/
--
Tony
Old September 19th 06, 04:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim Cogher

"Tony Wright" wrote in message
In message , Tim Cogher
writes

I have just finished writing up the End of Course Assignment for my course
with the O.U. (T209 if anyone's interested). The major subject of the
assignment was WiMAX. Has anyone any practical experience with this
technology? Reception speed, Reception quality?

No.

I'm not after anything I can use for my course, that's finished and sent,
i'm just curious.

I assume that in your research on WiMax you came across an article by
Steve Kennedy on why it won't fly:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/03/uk-wimax-outlook/
--
Tony

Tony,

Thanks for your reply. I hadn't come across that particular report but the
tone of the article doesn't surprise me. I have found in my research that
although there have been limited trials of the technology in rural areas,
north Cornwall for example, and they produced 'promising' results the
prospects for a country wide rollout were not good. Precisely because of the
lack of the available RF bands that WiMAX requires.

Another example of the triumph of existing providers getting in first over
technological ability?

Kind Regards,

Tim.

Old September 19th 06, 10:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony Wright

In message , Tim Cogher
writes

[WiMax not flying in UK]

Another example of the triumph of existing providers getting in first over
technological ability?

No. I wouldn't say that at all. The frequencies are already overused --
the limited frequencies (3.4 & 3.5) that PCCW & Pipex have licenses for
will allow them to sell broadband over them but not the 'laptop-able'
roaming services that Wimax was designed to enable which would require
lots of masts and accompanying infrastructure.

The great thing about wireless 802.11b/g/etc is that networks with
overlapping areas will try not to **** in each other's chips.

WiMax does and will.
--
Tony