help with internet phones

Old September 19th 06, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
paley

Default help with internet phones

Hi all,

New to the board but have a question I would love to be answered.

I am looking to use voip to speak to my wife as I'm going away for a
few weeks with work. I'm looking to get a handset but I was wondering
if they come with a loudspeaker function or can I disable the speaker
from the handset and use the mic from the handset and the computer
speakers?

Let me know if that makes no sense and I will try again!

Thanks for your time,

---
External Post from http://ukvoiptalk.com
Old September 19th 06, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Daviey Walker

paley wrote:
Hi all,

New to the board but have a question I would love to be answered.

I am looking to use voip to speak to my wife as I'm going away for a
few weeks with work. I'm looking to get a handset but I was wondering
if they come with a loudspeaker function or can I disable the speaker
from the handset and use the mic from the handset and the computer
speakers?

Let me know if that makes no sense and I will try again!

Thanks for your time,

---
External Post from http://ukvoiptalk.com

If your using a PC or Laptop then you can use any audio device
available. You can use the microphone/speakers built in or use external
ones attached. Infact most software will allow headset operation and
use main speakers for ringing.

If you only want to talk to your wife, and you can pre-plan talk times,
and she leaves the home pc on then i would recommend Skype. It's easy
to configure and the quality is acceptable.

Personally i prefer a dedicated voip supplier that allows you to call
landlines (PSTN) for cheap/free. However, you may suffer if you don't
have access to the router that your connected to.
Old September 19th 06, 01:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:45:08 -0000,
lid (paley) wrote:

Hi all,

New to the board but have a question I would love to be answered.

I am looking to use voip to speak to my wife as I'm going away for a
few weeks with work. I'm looking to get a handset but I was wondering
if they come with a loudspeaker function or can I disable the speaker
from the handset and use the mic from the handset and the computer
speakers?

Let me know if that makes no sense and I will try again!

Thanks for your time,

---
External Post from
http://ukvoiptalk.com

Best thing to do is probably just get a microphone headset, it means
that you don't have to hold a phone handset to your ear.

I don't normally recommecnd PC World but I got a cheap one for 8.99
and it is ideal for using with Skyoe, etc.

It has seperate headphone and mic plugs so if you want to disable the
headphones and only use the mic, simply don't plug in the headphone
lead.

To be honest though, you are better off using the headphones because
if you have the sound playing through the PC speaker, it tends to be
picked up by the mic, resulting in an echo for the person on the other
end.
Old September 19th 06, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
paley

Thanks for the replies.

I think I will buy headsets because we will both be distracted if we
are on headsets and hands free. I much prefer talking down the phone
- if that makes any sense!?

I therefore thanks you for the responses but just want to know, if for
instance the kids want to speak to me - could my wife put on
loudspeaker or something similar?

Unfortunately, neither our laptop or computer have a built in
microphone

Thanks again
---
External Post from http://ukvoiptalk.com
Old September 19th 06, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
jonsie

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:45:12 -0000,
lid (paley) wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

I think I will buy headsets because we will both be distracted if we
are on headsets and hands free. I much prefer talking down the phone
- if that makes any sense!?

I therefore thanks you for the responses but just want to know, if for
instance the kids want to speak to me - could my wife put on
loudspeaker or something similar?

Unfortunately, neither our laptop or computer have a built in
microphone

Thanks again
---
External Post from
http://ukvoiptalk.com

go buy one of these - connects to USB port and a little biy of
software makes it work with Skype. COnfigure Skype to use the USB
devices and the loudspeakers work for everything else. Use it like a
phone and it has handsfree....

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=245125

I bought mine at Expansys but they don't seem to stock them at the
moment. Dead cool though.