how to connect SPA-3000

Old September 19th 06, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Hana

Default how to connect SPA-3000

Hi,

After weeks of reading this forum for tips and ideas of how to start
with VOIP, I have finally decided that the SPA-300 is right for my
needs. So, now I have it in front of me, I'm looking at the manual but
I can't work out where it fits with my existing router,separate DSL
modem and cordless DECT phone.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the ATA should sit between
the modem and the router. Can someone help please as my head is
spinning from searching manuals and support sites but it all seems so
confusing to start with.

Thanks so much, Hana

Old September 19th 06, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Daviey Walker

Hana wrote:
Hi,

After weeks of reading this forum for tips and ideas of how to start
with VOIP, I have finally decided that the SPA-300 is right for my
needs. So, now I have it in front of me, I'm looking at the manual but
I can't work out where it fits with my existing router,separate DSL
modem and cordless DECT phone.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the ATA should sit between
the modem and the router. Can someone help please as my head is
spinning from searching manuals and support sites but it all seems so
confusing to start with.

Thanks so much, Hana

From my understanding (I don't own a Sipura device and have limited
knowledge of their hardware.

Internet - Modem --- Router ------ PC

PSTN ------------ SPA-3000 --- DECT phone

You will need to forward the relevant ports to the Sipura device. This
layout will allow the two gateway's (landline & voip) to be used by 1
standard telephone.

It seems this device only has one ethernet port (network) so i do not
believe it could sit between the modem & router. If it had two then it
*could* but i wouldn't recommend it.

If your router supports DMZ then it could sit in there, but i cannot see
the benefit in your situation.

Let us know how you get on.
Old September 19th 06, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Daviey Walker

Daviey Walker wrote:

Internet - Modem ------- Router ------ PC

PSTN -------------- SPA-3000 --- DECT phone

Reply to own post:
That ASCII diagram should be better, the tabs malformed when sent
previously.

Old September 19th 06, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Hana

Hi Daviey,
Thanks for replying.
I've connected the ethernet wire to the SPA-3000 and the router.
Connected DECT phone to SPA-3000.
Have changed the IP of the SPA to the range of my network etc, the
configuration screen is up and I've done the settings to my voiptalk
account.
The one thing missing is the BT landline connection. At the moment,
that goes from the wall to the ADSL modem. If I take it away from the
modem and plug it in to the SPA-3000 , how then does the modem find the
BT phone line for its broadband connection?
I think I must be missing the concept here. ;-(

The other thing is that the configuration page that comes up in my
browser is SO complicated, I'm not sure how to tell it do do what I
want, which is:

I have 2 sets of cordless DECT phones, I want to be able to call out (
and take calls in to my VOIPtalk number) ) from one DECT phone that is
plugged into the SPA, but I also have another set of DECT phones
plugged into the same BT line in another room that has my answering
machine with it and I want to make outgoing and incoming calls on that
existing BT number..
I have a sinking feeling that this isn't going to be possible !

Thanks again,
Hana

Old September 19th 06, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

It happens that Hana formulated :
Hi Daviey,
Thanks for replying.
I've connected the ethernet wire to the SPA-3000 and the router.
Connected DECT phone to SPA-3000.
Have changed the IP of the SPA to the range of my network etc, the
configuration screen is up and I've done the settings to my voiptalk
account.
The one thing missing is the BT landline connection. At the moment,
that goes from the wall to the ADSL modem. If I take it away from the
modem and plug it in to the SPA-3000 , how then does the modem find the
BT phone line for its broadband connection?
I think I must be missing the concept here. ;-(

The landline connection of the SPA3K connects to your line like a
telephone.

If you have a filter on your BT socket, the SPA needs to be plugged
into the one marked phone.

If you don't have a filter (I'd be surprised) you need to get
one.....perhaps you have a filtered faceplate though...?

You may find that the cable supplied with your SPA is an RJ11 plug to
RJ11 plug. In which case, you need to replace it with an RJ11 Plug to
BT Plug......do you have an old dial-up modem lead anywhere?
Alternatively, you can get an adapter to convert one end of the
RJ11-RJ11 cable to BT.

The other thing is that the configuration page that comes up in my
browser is SO complicated, I'm not sure how to tell it do do what I
want, which is:

It's powerful as well as confusing!

I have 2 sets of cordless DECT phones, I want to be able to call out (
and take calls in to my VOIPtalk number) ) from one DECT phone that is
plugged into the SPA, but I also have another set of DECT phones
plugged into the same BT line in another room that has my answering
machine with it and I want to make outgoing and incoming calls on that
existing BT number..
I have a sinking feeling that this isn't going to be possible !

Of course it is.

Leave your other set of DECT phones where it is & plug your new one
into the phone port on your SPA. Done.

The phone port on the SPA is an RJ11 socket, so if you've bought your
SPA from a supplier that doesn't include adapters, you're gonna need
another one for this. (RJ11 Plug to BT /Socket/)

When you've got your bits & pieces plugged in, come back here for
configuration tips!

One bit that's often missed on the PSTN page - set Ring Through to Line
1 to YES & choose an appropriate delay. With this set to YES, calls
coming in on your PSTN will ring the handset connected to your SPA at
the same time as any other phones connected to the same line are
ringing (admittedly with a one second delay)

Old September 20th 06, 12:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Hana

Hi Jono,
Thanks for your help. I do have a filter on that line and I had
forgotten that there are 2 sockets, one for the modem and one for a
phone. The DECT phone now connected to the SPA3K is now working. When I
use it to call my mobile, the number that shows up is the normal BT
line number, is that the way it should be? When I go to the Voiptalk
call records page, the call doesn't show up.I have connected things up
as follows:
BT landline from ADSL filter to line input on SPA3K and the DECT phone
is connected to the phone input . It does look like the call is still
being made through the BT landline and not the SPA3K or perhaps that is
the normal way.

Is it possible to use different VOIP providers with the SPA3K or can I
only use one at a time which for me at the moment is Voiptalk?

I noticed on this forum that there is an 'easy ' way to configure the
basic requirements of the SPA3K, would you know what/where that might
be?

Thanks again, it is slowly beginning the look a bit easier now.
Hana

Old September 20th 06, 07:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Hana" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Jono,
Thanks for your help. I do have a filter on that line and I had
forgotten that there are 2 sockets, one for the modem and one for a
phone. The DECT phone now connected to the SPA3K is now working. When I
use it to call my mobile, the number that shows up is the normal BT
line number, is that the way it should be?

That depends upon the dial plan at the foot of the Line One page. What dial
plan have you got?

When I go to the Voiptalk
call records page,

That's because the call's gone out over your PSTN, not Voiptalk.

the call doesn't show up.I have connected things up
as follows:
BT landline from ADSL filter to line input on SPA3K and the DECT phone
is connected to the phone input . It does look like the call is still
being made through the BT landline and not the SPA3K or perhaps that is
the normal way.

Erm, no it's not the normal way.

Is it possible to use different VOIP providers with the SPA3K or can I
only use one at a time which for me at the moment is Voiptalk?

Well, at the moment, you're not even using Voiptalk, so let's not get ahead
of ourselves. In answer, yes, you can use multiple outgoing providers. If
you want multiple incoming providers, using the "PBX" features of Voxalot
will help.

I noticed on this forum that there is an 'easy ' way to configure the
basic requirements of the SPA3K, would you know what/where that might
be?

There's a wizard on the voxilla forum.

http://voxilla.com/tools/device-conf...izard-806.html
although something looks a little amiss with their site this morning.

Old September 20th 06, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Hana

Hi Jono,

Well, at the moment, you're not even using Voiptalk, so let's not get ahead
of ourselves.

I must admit I am stumped as to how to make calls from the VOIP DECT
phones. It's using the BT landline to make calls.

That depends upon the dial plan at the foot of the Line One page. What dial
plan have you got?

This is my dial plan:
([2-79]11:@gw0|xx.|*xx.|**xx.|#1,:xx.:@gw1|#9,:xx .:@gw0|#9,:*xx:@gw0)

I noticed on this forum that there is an 'easy ' way to configure the
basic requirements of the SPA3K, would you know what/where that might
be?

I did the wizard on the Voxilla forum, it's still the same.

I didn't expect it to be this difficult, does anyone have any ideas?
It's probably very easy 'when you know how' !!

Thanks,
Hana

Old September 21st 06, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Hana wrote:

This is my dial plan:
([2-79]11:@gw0|xx.|*xx.|**xx.|#1,:xx.:@gw1|#9,:xx .:@gw0|#9,:*xx:@gw0)

I'm surprised no-one else has jumped in.........(I'm no expert - I use
mine with asterisk, not a provider)

I didn't expect it to be this difficult, does anyone have any ideas?
It's probably very easy 'when you know how' !!

The section xx. in your dial plan should send calls over your line one
Voip provider, therefore, I suspect you have something wrong with your
provider's credentials/settings.

Can you indicate all your settings on your line one tab, whilst signed
in as admin/advanced? Either that or is there somewhere you can post
the actual html page? (don't worry, the passwords won't be visible)

Old September 21st 06, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger Barrett

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hana wrote:

This is my dial plan:
([2-79]11:@gw0|xx.|*xx.|**xx.|#1,:xx.:@gw1|#9,:xx .:@gw0|#9,:*xx:@gw0)

I'm surprised no-one else has jumped in.........(I'm no expert - I use
mine with asterisk, not a provider)

I didn't expect it to be this difficult, does anyone have any ideas?
It's probably very easy 'when you know how' !!

The section xx. in your dial plan should send calls over your line one
Voip provider, therefore, I suspect you have something wrong with your
provider's credentials/settings.

Can you indicate all your settings on your line one tab, whilst signed
in as admin/advanced? Either that or is there somewhere you can post
the actual html page? (don't worry, the passwords won't be visible)

Hi Hana
sorry Ive only got an SPA2000 and 1001 but from what I know of the 3000-

gw0 is the PSTN line. This is a US dialplan (it routes 911 to the PSTN line)
but if you try dialling #1 before the number you want to call that should
force it to go over the VOIP line ( #1,:xx.:@gw1) does this. If this
doesnt connect, check on the info page that your Line 1 Status is showing
registered. if ot then the adapter hasnt registered with your voip provider
and you wont be able to make calls via them. If you google for "UK dialplan
spa3000" or look on the voxilla forums you'll find dialplans suggested
specific to the UK.

Hope that helps.
Roger.

SPA 3000 Sid uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 5 June 11th 06 08:23 PM
SPA-3000 More Tweaking muzz uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 5 April 7th 06 07:28 PM
Sipura SPA-3000 [email protected] uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 0 March 7th 06 06:07 PM
SPA-3000 - 2 questions on FXO/FXS Stephane M uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 2 September 7th 05 09:04 PM