TV over LAN - advice please

Old September 20th 06, 10:29 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Zoidberg

Default TV over LAN - advice please

In our new office building we are planning on having a few flat screens
scattered about the building and need a way of distributing a video feed to
them.

As far as I can see we have a number of options.

1) Coax feeds to all locations - needs RF output from video source , not
easy to move screens.
2) Composite video/RGB + audio feeds to all locations - easier to connect to
multiple sources , same problem with moving screens if we need to , and lots
of cables.
3) devices like the slingbox or Sony equivalent that feed a video signal
over the LAN http://www.slingmedia.com/indexa.php
No need for any extra cabling above the normal cat6 , but it would require a
PC connected to every screen. On the upside , PCs and screens could easily
be moved to different locations as everywhere will be cabled for cat 5.
4) converters that send audio and video signals over cat5 cable - no need
for PCs with the screens , but will the quality be any good?

Has anyone had practical experience of options 3 or 4?

--
Alex

Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old September 20th 06, 11:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Dr Zoidberg AlexNOOOO!!!!!!
writes
[...]

CAT5 cables with Baluns are sometimes used in CCTV systems and provided
the line length isn't too long they can and do look quite good....
--
Tony Sayer

Old September 20th 06, 11:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

"Dr Zoidberg" wrote in message
[...]

Is this your normal LAN or a dedicated LAN? Video requires quite a lot of
bandwidth.

Paul DS.

Old September 20th 06, 12:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.tech.digital-tv

[...]

Use the PCs.
They aren't expensive and you can run PowerPoint presentations with the
video embedded (assuming the viewer is anygood).
You can get better screens for your money if they only have DVI/VGA and no
tuner too.
Make sure you have a switched LAN (nearly all are these days) or your video
feeds may swamp them.
I assume you are not multicasting the streams BTW.

Old September 20th 06, 01:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Zoidberg

[email protected] wrote:
[...]

Thanks all , I think we will be going for PCs with the screens - LAN
bandwidth is not an issue :0)

Old September 20th 06, 02:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew Chapman

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

[...]

I assume by option 4 you mean something like kat5
(http://www.kat5.tv/modules.html). These have had good reviews on home
automation sites and the designer has a good reputation in this area.

Old September 20th 06, 02:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian

In message , Dr Zoidberg
writes
[email protected] wrote:
[...]

You may find a Nebula TV card or USB box useful.

It has a LAN facility.
--
Ian
Old September 20th 06, 03:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Zoidberg

Andrew Chapman wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

[...]

Yes , that's the sort of thing.
I'll add that to my list of ones to check out.
Thanks

Old September 20th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.tech.digital-tv
Robert Wilson

Jim Mason wrote:
In article ,
says...
You may find a Nebula TV card or USB box useful.

It has a LAN facility.

But only able to stream to a maximum of three clients without additinal
licences being purchased.

http://www.nebula-electronics.com/licensing/about.asp

Jim

Don't touch it with a bargepole, it's as buggy as hell. I ended up
selling mine on ebay they were that bad. They are taking the ****
asking you to stump up good money for licences for the extra clients. I
would not mind if it did what it was meant to!

Rob.
Old September 20th 06, 10:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian C

Have a look at http://www.orb.com and http://www.videolan.org