avaya small office and phone manager lite problem

Old September 23rd 06, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default avaya small office and phone manager lite problem

I hope this is the correct group for this posting, but apologise if I
have made an error.

I have bought an Avaya Small Office Systems on ebay.

My understanding is that this unit comes shipped with the ability to
have 3 VoIP extensions. I created a new extension and on the Phone
Manager settings tab of that extension I change the setting to VoIP.
It was asked me if I wanted to create a new VoIP extension and I said
YES. I then clicked on the Extension Branch in the Configuration tree
and saw it had created a new virtual extension (ID00). I entered IP of
computer that would use this extension.

I installed the Phone Manager Lite (v 2.1) software on the PC and
successfully logged on to the system. On a previous system I recalled
that in Phone Manager you need to click on the Configure menu and in
Preferences you need to Enable VoIP. However, this option is not
available.

When I try to make calls from Phone Manager the phone will dial the
number. I cannot hear anything or when I speak the receiving party
cannot hear me but phone manager does dial the requested number. I
have tried using the software on two computers.

When one of the POTS extensions calls the virtual extension they just
get the busy signal.

I am wondering if this system is in some way faulty or if I have done
something wrong and would like you help to resolve this.

Old September 23rd 06, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob Walker

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I'm not sure if this is the right group or not but as luck would have it I
implement these systems as part of my job. As well as an extension, you also
need a user. This has probably been created for you, and will show up in the
manager application. On the phone manager tab of the user there is a drop
down for the version of phone manager you wish that user to have. You need
to select VOIP or softphone (can't remember which). Now when you log in to
phone manager as that user, the program will reconfigure itself to VOIP
mode. The enable VOIP option will then be present. The problem you may have
though is that the softphone version of phone manager is not free. In fact,
it's quite expensive. It may not work if you don't have a valid licence for
it.

Post back if I'm not being clear.

Rob

Old September 24th 06, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Thanks Rob

You are right. Although the system I have has VoIP capability, I need
to buy a softphone license to use it. Ah, Well!

Thanks for your help though.

Rob Walker wrote:
ups.com...