another local phone number

Old September 24th 06, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default another local phone number

I want to advertise my business in a neighbouring phone area using a
local phone number. I can do this by using a Vonage setup (at 18.99 per
month), but I don't really need all the additional features.

Skype In doesn't give me the option of the area code I want either.

Does anyone know of a similar service to Vonage, but cheaper, or a call
diversion service that will offer a local number (I don't want to use
0845 or 0870 and can't afford 0800) ?

Simon

Old September 24th 06, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Steve used his keyboard to write :

True, but then why forward it, just terminate it locally on voip equipment,
an ata or asterisk maybe, I did assume there was some voip involvement this
being a voip group.

"or a call diversion service that will offer a local number" was one of
the requests.

Old September 24th 06, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Jono wrote:
Steve used his keyboard to write :

True, but then why forward it, just terminate it locally on voip equipment,
an ata or asterisk maybe, I did assume there was some voip involvement this
being a voip group.

"or a call diversion service that will offer a local number" was one of
the requests.

Thanks for all those responses guys.. have just had a long search
through the various suggestions.

It seems that if I'm happy to use a VOIP system (and this is vastly
cheaper than BT) then it rather depends if I'm going to make outgoing
calls on the line. Our other phones in the head office (where the phone
will be for at least the first 12 months) have call plans that give us
free outgoing calls.

I've set up Vonage for customers and it's dead easy to use and gives
free outbound calls (is that right?) but 18.99 a month is quite a lot.
The other plus is that the adapter is free. Sipgate looks cheaper as
long as we don't use it for outbound calls but I would have to buy the
adapter as well (about 49).

We already us Skype but amazingly the Skype In product doesn't have
local phone numbers - just the big cities.

Finally, I looked at the Gradwell PSTN forwarding but I'm not keen on
paying for incoming calls.

Have I missed anything?

Simon

Old September 24th 06, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Hardly constitutes "free calls" at 18.99 per month. Compare that with
voip.co.uk's 2 per month for unlimited E&W plus daytime calls for a 2p
set up.

But I have now use for evening and weekend calls. Peak calls are 2p for
the first 60 calls and then 1p per minute which isn't bad. Still have
to pay for the hardware though.

I don't mind Sipgate, however, I think that if you need to make sure it
always works, gradwell, voip.co.uk or voipfone would better suit your
needs.

I can't get any sense out of the voiphone website - seems to be a load
of waffle about what they 'can do' with email addresses for signup.
Very thin on actual information.

Finally, I looked at the Gradwell PSTN forwarding but I'm not keen on
paying for incoming calls.

Then you can only really choose an non-geo for this purpose.

Don't understand what you mean by a non-geo ..

Simon