Turning on PC

Old September 24th 06, 08:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Andrews

Default Turning on PC

What mod can I make to a PC (Win 98) that will allow it to power up when
mains is applied and not be dependant upon the power button on the PC. I
intend to place it in a remote location for secure back ups, applying power
using an X10 module and operating the PC using VNC - so controlled shut down
is achievable. I did think that holding the power button permanantly on -
but if I do that it doesn't start until I release and re-press the power
button.

Peter

Old September 25th 06, 12:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Peter Andrews" wrote in message
. uk...
What mod can I make to a PC (Win 98) that will allow it to power up when
mains is applied and not be dependant upon the power button on the PC. I
intend to place it in a remote location for secure back ups, applying
power using an X10 module and operating the PC using VNC - so controlled
shut down is achievable.

Wake On LAN (WOL) seems to fit the bill, if the motherboard, BIOS and
network interface support it. You would not need the X10 module in this
case.

Failing that, there is often a BIOS setting worded something like "Power
state after AC loss" which you can set so that the computer turns on when
mains is applied.

Alex