Is my router ckufed?

Old September 24th 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Hugo Nebula

Default Is my router ckufed?

I have a Netgear DG834G wireless router/modem/coffee maker, which has
given me sterling service for the past two years. Today I moved
it[*], and ever since I can't get a stable connection. If I reset it
by unplugging it, it will connect for a couple of minutes, then drops
the connection with any kind of activity (such as downloading
newsgroups or web browsing). The wireless part seems fine and stays
connected.

I don't think its the ISP as I'm connected via a USB modem. Dr
Speedtouch is reporting, "a problem is detected to the internet", but
I can get through OK.

I'm on UKOnline, and last week there was a problem getting a PPP
address due to a fault at the exchange but this looks to have been
cured.
[*] Confession time. In the course of moving it, I accidentally
connected the power supply to a network storage device to it (in my
defence, they're both Netgear). This has an output of 1.5A instead of
the 0.5A of the router's power supply. Have I fried it? Is there any
other possible explanation?
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Old September 24th 06, 11:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
linker3000

Hugo Nebula wrote:

[*] Confession time. In the course of moving it, I accidentally
connected the power supply to a network storage device to it (in my
defence, they're both Netgear). This has an output of 1.5A instead of
the 0.5A of the router's power supply. Have I fried it? Is there any
other possible explanation?

The different in the maximum rated load in Amps isn't the key - it's
whether the power supplies had the same output voltage - ie: one was 12V
and the other 5V.

L3K
Old September 26th 06, 12:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Hugo Nebula

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:07:29 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named Hugo
Nebula [email protected] randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I have a Netgear DG834G wireless router/modem/coffee maker, which has
given me sterling service for the past two years. Today I moved
it[*], and ever since I can't get a stable connection.

[*] Confession time. In the course of moving it, I accidentally
connected the power supply to a network storage device to it (in my
defence, they're both Netgear).

I must have frazzled the modem part of it. I've bought a replacement,
and for the past hour (touch wood) it's been working fine.

Anyone want to buy a wireless router sans modem?
Old September 27th 06, 02:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gaz

Hugo Nebula wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:07:29 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named Hugo
Nebula [email protected] randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I have a Netgear DG834G wireless router/modem/coffee maker, which has
given me sterling service for the past two years. Today I moved
it[*], and ever since I can't get a stable connection.

[*] Confession time. In the course of moving it, I accidentally
connected the power supply to a network storage device to it (in my
defence, they're both Netgear).

I must have frazzled the modem part of it. I've bought a replacement,
and for the past hour (touch wood) it's been working fine.

Anyone want to buy a wireless router sans modem?

Give netgear a tinkle, dont mention the wrong adapter though.....

Gaz