Mobile phone and local network

Old September 25th 06, 01:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc
Craig Cockburn

Default Mobile phone and local network

Hi

My phone (Nokia E61) can see my wireless network at home and I'm trying
to configure the phone to use the network but I'm wondering if anyone
knows where I enter the WPA Passphrase in the phone as having read the
manual there doesn't seem to be an obvious place to enter this.

I've tried putting it in the WLAN security settings pre-shared key field
but still no joy. I've set it up to infrastructure access mode

I'm also a bit surprised at the manual P61 which seems to imply there's
a menu option menu-connect-wireless lan. My connect menu doesn't have
a "wireless lan" submenu, only a connection manager and this lists the
WLAN but doesn't seem to have an option to connect to it. And this page
http://europe.nokia.com/A4144889
doesn't list the phone type in order to get the settings.

I'm using the latest firmware.

many thanks

--
Craig Cockburn ("coburn"). M.Sc., CITP, CEng
Owner, http://www.siliconglen.com/
Old September 25th 06, 01:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc
Marcus Houlden

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 01:06:28 +0100, Craig Cockburn
wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

Hi

My phone (Nokia E61) can see my wireless network at home and I'm trying
to configure the phone to use the network but I'm wondering if anyone
knows where I enter the WPA Passphrase in the phone as having read the
manual there doesn't seem to be an obvious place to enter this.

Assuming it's the same menu structure as my N80, try Settings/Phone/Access
Points. There are a few gotchas that you might need to watch out. I could
get my phone to connect to the network (listed in wireless stations on my
Draytek router's web config thing) but not get an IP address unless I
switched off WPA security and went to WEP only. There's also a bug that
affects N80s which means *#62209526# returns an incorrect MAC address. Dunno
if this applies to other smartphones, but there's something about this at
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/archive/t-46503.html

mh.
--
http://www.nukesoft.co.uk