Utilities to scan for wireless interference?

Old September 26th 06, 05:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Default Utilities to scan for wireless interference?

Does anyone know of any utilities (preferably free) that will let you scan
the relevent frequencies for sources of interference. This may be other
people's access points or it may be other electrical equipment generating
noise.

--
Alex

Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old September 26th 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Dr Zoidberg says...
Does anyone know of any utilities (preferably free) that will let you scan
the relevent frequencies for sources of interference. This may be other
people's access points or it may be other electrical equipment generating
noise.

ROFLMAO...and just how do you expect this to work?

Priceless...

--
Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, 2.50 just for signing up:
http://www.TopCashBack.co.uk/Conor/ref/index.htm
Old September 26th 06, 07:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Conor wrote:
In article , Dr Zoidberg says...
Does anyone know of any utilities (preferably free) that will let
you scan the relevent frequencies for sources of interference. This
may be other people's access points or it may be other electrical
equipment generating noise.

ROFLMAO...and just how do you expect this to work?

Because wireless cards are a radio receiver.
They take meaningful patterns on the required frequency and convert that to
data for the PC.

Some of them will report signal to noise ratios depending on the card and
software and they are very obviously capable of picking up random signals on
the same frequency.

All I want is a utility to report just the noise on various channels.
I know some access points can do this but they aren't portable. I already
have a cisco site survey tool that will do a similar job , but would like a
choice of them if possible.

What's so hard about that?

Nowhere did I say that I want it to identify sources of intereference , just
to say if it's there or not.

--
Alex - posting using all 64 bits in widescreen :0)

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old September 26th 06, 09:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tiny Tim

"Dr Zoidberg" wrote in message
Does anyone know of any utilities (preferably free) that will let you scan
the relevent frequencies for sources of interference. This may be other
people's access points or it may be other electrical equipment generating
noise.

Netstumbler will seek out other APs and report the channel number, signal
strength and encryption type. So you can see if you might have an
interfering channel nearby. You need 5-6 channels of separation - not sure
which - as the channels spread and overlap each other. So if you're on
channel 6 and find another network nearby on the same or close channel
number than change your channel to 1 or 13 to move away from the
competition.

Old September 27th 06, 12:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , Dr Zoidberg
writes
Does anyone know of any utilities (preferably free) that will let you scan
the relevent frequencies for sources of interference. This may be other
people's access points or it may be other electrical equipment generating
noise.

Http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/80ce/

Not all software so not free, something buried in the jumble of
information I call a memory makes me think there's a free/cheaper
version of this as it's a fairly standard USB WiFi adapter.
--
Clint Sharp
Old September 27th 06, 08:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , Dr Zoidberg
writes
Does anyone know of any utilities (preferably free) that will let
you scan the relevent frequencies for sources of interference. This
may be other people's access points or it may be other electrical
equipment generating noise.

Http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/80ce/

Not all software so not free, something buried in the jumble of
information I call a memory makes me think there's a free/cheaper
version of this as it's a fairly standard USB WiFi adapter.

Excellent.
Thats exactly the sort of thing I'm after.

Still laughing Conor?

Old September 27th 06, 04:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Dr Zoidberg says...

Http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/80ce/

Not all software so not free, something buried in the jumble of
information I call a memory makes me think there's a free/cheaper
version of this as it's a fairly standard USB WiFi adapter.

Excellent.
Thats exactly the sort of thing I'm after.

Still laughing Conor?

Yup...because it's a USB device and not one utilising the Wifi gear you
already have.

I'm still winning.

Old September 27th 06, 04:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Dr Zoidberg says...
Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , Dr Zoidberg
writes
Does anyone know of any utilities (preferably free) that will let
you scan the relevent frequencies for sources of interference. This
may be other people's access points or it may be other electrical
equipment generating noise.

Http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/80ce/

Not all software so not free, something buried in the jumble of
information I call a memory makes me think there's a free/cheaper
version of this as it's a fairly standard USB WiFi adapter.

Excellent.
Thats exactly the sort of thing I'm after.

Still laughing Conor?

Yes...

Only does anything on 2.4GHz. Doesn't pick up electrical interference.

As well as being an additional piece of hardware and not using what you
already got.

Old September 27th 06, 06:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Conor wrote:
In article , Dr Zoidberg says...

Http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/80ce/

Not all software so not free, something buried in the jumble of
information I call a memory makes me think there's a free/cheaper
version of this as it's a fairly standard USB WiFi adapter.

Excellent.
Thats exactly the sort of thing I'm after.

Still laughing Conor?

Yup...because it's a USB device and not one utilising the Wifi gear
you already have.

It's close enough , and all their device is is a normal USB wireless adaptor
with their own drivers , and it sounds like there may be a version using
generic cards.

Old September 27th 06, 06:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Conor wrote:
In article , Dr Zoidberg says...
Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , Dr Zoidberg
writes
Does anyone know of any utilities (preferably free) that will let
you scan the relevent frequencies for sources of interference. This
may be other people's access points or it may be other electrical
equipment generating noise.

Http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/80ce/

Not all software so not free, something buried in the jumble of
information I call a memory makes me think there's a free/cheaper
version of this as it's a fairly standard USB WiFi adapter.

Excellent.
Thats exactly the sort of thing I'm after.

Still laughing Conor?

Yes...

Only does anything on 2.4GHz. Doesn't pick up electrical interference.

But thats all I care about when checking for interference on 802.11b/g
radios.

As well as being an additional piece of hardware and not using what
you already got.

It's only $99 , hardly a fortune when compared to the amount we charge for a
proper site survey