Can you help?

Old September 26th 06, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
June

Default Can you help?

I have a Linksys HG200 ADSL modem/router that only has one ethernet port
which is currently being used by my computer. I want to use voip but
because the HG200 only has the one port I can't. How can I expand the
number of ports without buying a new modem? Will this work?
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...67&GroupID=295

Can I just plug the ethernet cable from the HG200 into that and I'll then
have five ports? Or is it not that simple?

Thanks for your help.

June
Old September 26th 06, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Gareth Halfacree

June wrote:
I have a Linksys HG200 ADSL modem/router that only has one ethernet port
which is currently being used by my computer. I want to use voip but
because the HG200 only has the one port I can't. How can I expand the
number of ports without buying a new modem? Will this work?
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...67&GroupID=295

Yes, that would work. Although you could get an 8 port switch from
another supplier for around the same price - shop around.

Can I just plug the ethernet cable from the HG200 into that and I'll then
have five ports? Or is it not that simple?

Four ports. The single port on the router has a cable attached which
goes into one port on the switch leaving four ports spare for other devices.

--
Gareth Halfacree
http://gareth.halfacree.co.u
Old September 26th 06, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
June

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:22:47 +0100, Gareth Halfacree wrote:

June wrote:
I have a Linksys HG200 ADSL modem/router that only has one ethernet port
which is currently being used by my computer. I want to use voip but
because the HG200 only has the one port I can't. How can I expand the
number of ports without buying a new modem? Will this work?
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...67&GroupID=295

Yes, that would work. Although you could get an 8 port switch from
another supplier for around the same price - shop around.

Ok. I'll get shopping.

Can I just plug the ethernet cable from the HG200 into that and I'll then
have five ports? Or is it not that simple?

Four ports. The single port on the router has a cable attached which
goes into one port on the switch leaving four ports spare for other devices.

Many thanks for your help, Gareth.

June.
Old September 28th 06, 12:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Gaz

June wrote:
I have a Linksys HG200 ADSL modem/router that only has one ethernet port
which is currently being used by my computer. I want to use voip but
because the HG200 only has the one port I can't. How can I expand the
number of ports without buying a new modem? Will this work?
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...67&GroupID=295

Can I just plug the ethernet cable from the HG200 into that and I'll then
have five ports? Or is it not that simple?

It is that simple.... You probably dont need it, as these things generally
autosense these days, but you might want to get a 'cross over patch cable'
to connect the switch to the router, shouldnt cost more then a couple of
pounds.

Good luck

Gaz

Old September 28th 06, 01:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Gaz" wrote in message

June wrote:
I have a Linksys HG200 ADSL modem/router that only has
one ethernet port which is currently being used by my
computer. I want to use voip but because the HG200 only
has the one port I can't. How can I expand the number
of ports without buying a new modem? Will this work?
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...67&GroupID=295

Can I just plug the ethernet cable from the HG200 into
that and I'll then have five ports? Or is it not that
simple?

It is that simple.... You probably dont need it, as these
things generally autosense these days, but you might want
to get a 'cross over patch cable' to connect the switch
to the router, shouldnt cost more then a couple of pounds.

I think you'll find that most switches are, if not autosensing, designed
to use normal cables to connect to a router or whatever anyway. My two
Linksys ones certainly are.

My advice to the OP would be to try a normal cable, only get a crossover
one if that doesn't work.

Ivor