Newbie question re cabling/hubs...

Old September 27th 06, 12:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Parry

Default Newbie question re cabling/hubs...

..... this is my problem - hope you can assist:

I have 3 pc's:

One connected direct to a D-Link 4 port router supplying braodband in the
same room, and a second and third which sit side by side at the other side
of the house.

I want to run one network cable from the router to the vicinity of the
second and third machines, then split the cable into the two machines to
supply them both with broadband.

My questions:

1). Clearly I need some sort of hub next to the second and third machines to
act as a splitter - any recommendations?

2). Do I require a crossover cable to connect the router to the hub?

3). I'd like the two adjacent machines to talk to each other so that the
kids can play games over the network - Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any assistance - And please answer in laymans terms!!

Chris

Old September 27th 06, 02:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob

"Chris Parry" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Chris,
For the 'splitter' you just need a cheap switch like this:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=152509
which don't usually need a crossover UTP cable.
As long as you have the firewalls on each PC configured correctly,
all machines on the LAN side of your router will be able to see and
talk to each other.
HTH
--
Rob

Old September 27th 06, 03:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Parry

"Rob" wrote in message

[...]

Many thanks for the reply Rob - Much appreciated.

Chris