Connection paradox

Old September 28th 06, 09:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Barry

Default Connection paradox

Can anyone tell me how it is possible to have a network connection yet not
be able to use OE or IE. Most of the time my connection is fine but I get
the above phenomena occasionally, particularly when the connection is not
being used. I thought I would be able to have the router permanently on and
connect around the house when I want to.
If I switch the router off and on again the connection works normally again.
I often find that I cannot connect to the router setup screen when in this
condition, if I could I could restart the router from there.
My ISP is Kingston Communications and a they have a monopoly in this area
they are not rated very highly for performance. is it possible that
contention (i.e. too many connections on one node) is the cause. Perhaps
they disconnect me if there is no traffic?
Barry

Old September 28th 06, 09:43 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 28/09/2006 in message
Barry wrote:

Can anyone tell me how it is possible to have a network connection yet not
be able to use OE or IE. Most of the time my connection is fine but I get
the above phenomena occasionally, particularly when the connection is not
being used. I thought I would be able to have the router permanently on and
connect around the house when I want to.

Does that mean that you are using a wireless connection?

If so it seems to be a 'feature' of XP that it stops working now and then.
On my laptop I go to Control Panel - Network Connections, right click on
the wireless connection and click 'Repair', works every time but a
complete PITA.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.18.1.3
Old September 28th 06, 04:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Barry

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
On 28/09/2006 in message
Barry wrote:

Can anyone tell me how it is possible to have a network connection yet not
be able to use OE or IE. Most of the time my connection is fine but I get
the above phenomena occasionally, particularly when the connection is not
being used. I thought I would be able to have the router permanently on
and
connect around the house when I want to.

Does that mean that you are using a wireless connection?

If so it seems to be a 'feature' of XP that it stops working now and then.
On my laptop I go to Control Panel - Network Connections, right click on
the wireless connection and click 'Repair', works every time but a
complete PITA.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.18.1.3

No the main PC is wired, the fact that restarting router leads me to suspect
the problem is related to the connection to the ISP. The wireless connection
from the laptop is affected in the same way.
Barry

Old September 28th 06, 09:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
DayDragon

What router do you have?

Does it have a setting to disconnect when idle for so long?

Jonn
Old September 29th 06, 01:11 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Biggles

Barry wrote:
Can anyone tell me how it is possible to have a network connection yet not
be able to use OE or IE. Most of the time my connection is fine but I get
the above phenomena occasionally, particularly when the connection is not
being used. I thought I would be able to have the router permanently on and
connect around the house when I want to.
If I switch the router off and on again the connection works normally again.
I often find that I cannot connect to the router setup screen when in this
condition, if I could I could restart the router from there.
My ISP is Kingston Communications and a they have a monopoly in this area
they are not rated very highly for performance. is it possible that
contention (i.e. too many connections on one node) is the cause. Perhaps
they disconnect me if there is no traffic?
Barry

If you can't connect to the router setup screen, then it sounds like the
router is hanging up. Even when disconnected from the Internet, you
should be able to access your router's setup.

Biggles
Old September 29th 06, 08:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Barry

"DayDragon" wrote in message
What router do you have?

Does it have a setting to disconnect when idle for so long?

Jonn

Router is a Netgear DG534GT. No there is no time out setting and the
disconnects are random.
Friday and Saturday evening are the worst times (making me think that the
ISP is being a bit mean with nodes) so I will look for more evidence over
the next couple of days.
Thanks to the responses for your interest.
Barry

Old September 30th 06, 11:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Barry

"Martin Underwood" [email protected] wrote in message
Barry wrote in
:

"DayDragon" wrote in message
What router do you have?

Does it have a setting to disconnect when idle for so long?

Jonn

Router is a Netgear DG534GT. No there is no time out setting and the
disconnects are random.
Friday and Saturday evening are the worst times (making me think that
the ISP is being a bit mean with nodes) so I will look for more
evidence over the next couple of days.

It may be that the router is disconnecting from the ISP at busy times.
I've never experienced it myself, but it's plausible.

However, this should not prevent you accessing the router's setup page. If
that is happening, and if a reboot of the router cures it, the router is
getting into an uncommunicative state.

Are you connected to the router by Ethernet or by wireless?

Try pinging the router (probably 192.168.0.1 for a Netgear) when you
detect the problem. Also run ipconfig and check that your PC has valid IP,
subnet, DHCP, DNS and gateway addresses set (compare values with those
obtained when everything's working OK).

Thanks for all the help. It hasn't happened this Saturday evening which is
usually the worst. It always happens like that, go the doctor and the pain
disappears!
Barry