SPA3102 PSTN quality

Old September 28th 06, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Oldie

Default SPA3102 PSTN quality

I've been toying with the idea of combining my PSTN & VOIP lines
through one ATA, but I seem to remember reading that some users had low
volume on PSTN calls on the SPA3000. Can anyone who has used the
SPA3102 tell me whether it suffers from this problem or not?

Oldie

Old September 28th 06, 12:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul

Oldie wrote:
I've been toying with the idea of combining my PSTN & VOIP lines
through one ATA, but I seem to remember reading that some users had low
volume on PSTN calls on the SPA3000. Can anyone who has used the
SPA3102 tell me whether it suffers from this problem or not?

Oldie

Changing the FXS impedance to the UK spec of "370+620||310nF" and
altering the VoIP-PSTN gateway/PSTN-VoIP gateway gain levels should be
able to solve that. It's a balancing act between getting the volume
high enough without introducing echo on some or all calls. The same
applies to most VoIP equipment connected to analogue lines although in
some cases with the more expensive VoIP cards you get built-in echo
cancellers.

cheers,
Paul.
Old September 28th 06, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Oldie

Paul wrote:

(snipped)

Changing the FXS impedance to the UK spec of "370+620||310nF" and
altering the VoIP-PSTN gateway/PSTN-VoIP gateway gain levels should be
able to solve that. It's a balancing act between getting the volume
high enough without introducing echo on some or all calls. The same
applies to most VoIP equipment connected to analogue lines although in
some cases with the more expensive VoIP cards you get built-in echo
cancellers.

So if I understand you correctly this will apply equally to the 3000
and the 3102? Since I already have a router with QOS the built-in
router in the 3102 is superfluous to my requirements. Will I then be
just as well off technically (and better off financially) in buying a
3000?

Oldie

Old September 29th 06, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul

Oldie wrote:
Paul wrote:

(snipped)

Changing the FXS impedance to the UK spec of "370+620||310nF" and
altering the VoIP-PSTN gateway/PSTN-VoIP gateway gain levels should be
able to solve that. It's a balancing act between getting the volume
high enough without introducing echo on some or all calls. The same
applies to most VoIP equipment connected to analogue lines although in
some cases with the more expensive VoIP cards you get built-in echo
cancellers.

So if I understand you correctly this will apply equally to the 3000
and the 3102? Since I already have a router with QOS the built-in
router in the 3102 is superfluous to my requirements. Will I then be
just as well off technically (and better off financially) in buying a
3000?

Oldie

Yes that applies to both the 3000 and the 3102. You might as well just
buy a 3102 even if you don't need the router functionality as they
should be the same price.

cheers,
Paul.
Old September 29th 06, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Oldie

Paul wrote:

(snipped)

Yes that applies to both the 3000 and the 3102. You might as well just
buy a 3102 even if you don't need the router functionality as they
should be the same price.

cheers,
Paul.

Thanks Paul. Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I disable the
router? Do I just connect the LAN port to my switch (as my current SPA
1001 is) and ignore the WAN port completely?

Alternatively if I replace my existing router will the connections be:

ADSL filter -SPA 3102 -switch -LAN ?

Can't seem to get my head round this one, and I haven't found a simple
schematic for it anywhere. A confusing factor (to me anyway) is that
the Linksys documentation uses the terms "Ethernet port" and "Internet
port", which I presume equate to LAN and WAN ports respectively.

Oldie

Old September 29th 06, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Oldie explained :
Paul wrote:

(snipped)

Yes that applies to both the 3000 and the 3102. You might as well just
buy a 3102 even if you don't need the router functionality as they
should be the same price.

cheers,
Paul.

Thanks Paul. Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I disable the
router? Do I just connect the LAN port to my switch (as my current SPA
1001 is) and ignore the WAN port completely?

More or less. I can't remember if the WAN port is plugged into your
router's LAN port & the SPA's LAN port is ignored......or the other way
around.

Alternatively if I replace my existing router will the connections be:

ADSL filter -SPA 3102 -switch -LAN ?

No, it doesn't have an ADSL modem in, so it would have to be

ADSL filter - ADSL Modem with ethernet out -SPA 3102 -switch -LAN

Old September 30th 06, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Oldie

Anna Langley wrote:
Jono wrote:

Oldie explained :
Paul wrote:

(snipped)

Yes that applies to both the 3000 and the 3102. You might as well just
buy a 3102 even if you don't need the router functionality as they
should be the same price.

cheers,
Paul.

Thanks Paul. Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I disable the
router? Do I just connect the LAN port to my switch (as my current SPA
1001 is) and ignore the WAN port completely?

More or less. I can't remember if the WAN port is plugged into your
router's LAN port & the SPA's LAN port is ignored......or the other way
around.

Plug the ethernet cable into the one marked "Internet" and you're there.

Anna

Thanks all!

Oldie

Old October 2nd 06, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul

Oldie wrote:
Anna Langley wrote:
Jono wrote:

Oldie explained :
Paul wrote:

(snipped)

Yes that applies to both the 3000 and the 3102. You might as well just
buy a 3102 even if you don't need the router functionality as they
should be the same price.

cheers,
Paul.
Thanks Paul. Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I disable the
router? Do I just connect the LAN port to my switch (as my current SPA
1001 is) and ignore the WAN port completely?
More or less. I can't remember if the WAN port is plugged into your
router's LAN port & the SPA's LAN port is ignored......or the other way
around.

Plug the ethernet cable into the one marked "Internet" and you're there.

Anna

Thanks all!

Oldie

Yes plug the WAN/Internet port into your existing router and just ignore
the LAN/Ethernet port on the SPA-3102. No need to actually disable
anything, just ignore it.

The only problem is you'll have to temporarily plug a PC into the
LAN/Ethernet port to be able to access the web interface to configure
the SPA-3102 as you can't access it using the WAN port by default. Once
you are in there is a setting to enable configuration using the WAN port.

cheers,
Paul.
Old October 3rd 06, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Oldie

I think I'm almost ready to order, but a thought has just struck me.
Can you only make outgoing calls through VoIP or can you specify PSTN
as one of your outgoing providers?

I have a specific requirement for a particular destination to be called
via my PSTN line (probably through the Orchid dialler which will sit
between the 3102 and the line). If it needs an access code, I can
specify this in the short code dialling of the telephone set.

Oldie

Old October 3rd 06, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Oldie wrote :
I think I'm almost ready to order, but a thought has just struck me.
Can you only make outgoing calls through VoIP or can you specify PSTN
as one of your outgoing providers?

You can, yes. Even to the point of saying only a particular number
should be dialled over the PSTN (or VoIP)

I have a specific requirement for a particular destination to be called
via my PSTN line (probably through the Orchid dialler which will sit
between the 3102 and the line). If it needs an access code, I can
specify this in the short code dialling of the telephone set.

If you're going to use a proviedr such as voip.co.uk, you could
actually choose to present your PSTN number on your VoIP line.