Utter newbie advice

Old September 28th 06, 01:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim..

Default Utter newbie advice

I am a complete beginner to Voip / skype etc and would like to 'have a go'
initially with out-calls via voip.

I think I would like to avoid the USB handsets and use one of the boxes that
'converts' an analogue phone to use voip. I see mutterings of the spa-3000,
and also see many a ~15quid gateway boxes too. Are they all of a muchness or
not?

I run 2 desktops, 1 wired, 1 wireless, and wireless lappy via a DG834G
router using BT as an ISP and have a 1meg DSL connection.

Can anyone suggest information or a www on how i muight start off with
hardware, and a simple no frills voip client (voipcheap etc etc)

Would the 834G need any specific settings altered to enable voip to work??

I'm reasonabley computer-technical.

TIA

Tim..

Old September 28th 06, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-09-28, Tim.. wrote:

I am a complete beginner to Voip / skype etc and would like to 'have a go'
initially with out-calls via voip.

I think I would like to avoid the USB handsets and use one of the boxes that
'converts' an analogue phone to use voip. I see mutterings of the spa-3000,
and also see many a ~15quid gateway boxes too. Are they all of a muchness or
not?

I'm unsure what you mean by a gateway box and, if you are considering a
SIP device, I'm not aware of any product at the price you mention. You
can get a good idea of the range of ATAs available and the distinctly
different things they are capable of at www.voiptalk.org. There is also
some good reading on VoIP in general and the nature of the services it
can offer. www.voip.org.uk is another useful source of information.

I run 2 desktops, 1 wired, 1 wireless, and wireless lappy via a DG834G
router using BT as an ISP and have a 1meg DSL connection.

Can anyone suggest information or a www on how i muight start off with
hardware, and a simple no frills voip client (voipcheap etc etc)

I'd be inclined to start off with a soft phone as a relatively cheap way
to experiment before deciding on what hardware to make a longer term
investment in. xlite and sjphone are both usable and popular software.
Combine that with obtaining an account at

http://www.voiptalk.org/products/really_voip

and you will be able to get a good feel for what a VoIP service is like
by making outgoing and incoming calls. The advantage of that account is
that it gives you a geographic phone number and, I think, 2 GBP of
calling credit.

Would the 834G need any specific settings altered to enable voip to work??

For incoming calls you'll possibly have to direct port 5060 traffic to
your SIP device. But try first without doing that.

I'm reasonabley computer-technical.

You'll need to be!

Brian.