Would VoIP be the answer?

Old September 29th 06, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr.Muppster

Default Would VoIP be the answer?

Hi all.

I currently work from home have a telewest phone line (complete with
unlimited calls to UK) & broadband via telewest (blueyonder 4mb).

I use my PC currently for Skype & also VoipStunt (which I have to pay 20
Euro per 180 days).

Skype is just few a quick chat between friends etc.
Voipstunt I tend to use when I'm working away via my laptop on a hotel
international connection to call the UK cheaper.

Both are currently PC/laptop dependant.

My dilemma now is that I'm going to get a lot busier due to winning some big
contracts.
My home phone currently is used by all the family, so with more business
calls coming in it would be better to have a dedicated line (and
geographical number) so I can divert it to my mobile if out of the office.
I will be receiving & making calls to the UK, Finland, Brazil, Germany &
Taiwan on a regular basis.
Also I will be visiting these countries & want to be calling back to the UK.

What would be the best way forward for equipment & tariffs to cover my new
needs?
If it helps my broadband connection is currently via a WiFi router as I've
built a new office but the broadband is else where in the house.
My router is a Dlink DI-624. But I'm looking at changing this as I sometimes
get signal drop out due to other routers in my area. Probably going to look
at a MIMO type (but not sure yet).

I would plan on using DECT phones for this service.

Is it possible to have two geographical numbers coming into my one phone?

Any help appreciated.

Mr.M

Old September 29th 06, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Darren

"Mr.Muppster" wrote in message
k...
Hi all.

I currently work from home have a telewest phone line (complete with
unlimited calls to UK) & broadband via telewest (blueyonder 4mb).

Get a SIP phone like Snom 320 and a geographical number from gradwell.com.
You will get call centre functionality for 7 per month and ability to
divert your number anywhere in the world.

When you out of office, you can even use a softphone and makes calls on your
laptop as if you were at home.

Old September 29th 06, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr.Muppster

"Darren" wrote in message

"Mr.Muppster" wrote in message
k...
Hi all.

I currently work from home have a telewest phone line (complete with
unlimited calls to UK) & broadband via telewest (blueyonder 4mb).

Get a SIP phone like Snom 320 and a geographical number from gradwell.com.
You will get call centre functionality for 7 per month and ability to
divert your number anywhere in the world.

When you out of office, you can even use a softphone and makes calls on

your
laptop as if you were at home.

I believe the problem with something like a Snom320 is that my broadband
connection is in another part of the house & hence why I want to use
cordless DECT phones.

Old September 29th 06, 12:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Darren

"Mr.Muppster" wrote in message

I believe the problem with something like a Snom320 is that my broadband
connection is in another part of the house & hence why I want to use
cordless DECT phones.

You can still use DECT with voip.

Need one of these:

http://www.voipfone.co.uk/shop.php?m...category&pid=2

Don't use voipfone's services though

Old September 29th 06, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Oldie

Darren wrote:
"Mr.Muppster" wrote in message

I believe the problem with something like a Snom320 is that my broadband
connection is in another part of the house & hence why I want to use
cordless DECT phones.

You can still use DECT with voip.

Need one of these:

http://www.voipfone.co.uk/shop.php?m...category&pid=2

Or alternatively the Snom together with 2 of the PL-14PE units from
he http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm

Don't use voipfone's services though

Why not? They've never let me down.

Oldie

Old September 29th 06, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Darren

"Oldie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Why not? They've never let me down.

We used them in our office on a 2mb line with 5 phones and we constantly had
unregistrations and call disconnections every few minutes. We troubleshooted
for months and even bought new hardware and got to the point where we even
had BT test the line. We almost gave up and reverted to PSTN lines from BT
but somebody suggested we try Gradwell. I did the most simple setup without
worrying about QoS etc and immediately we had a 100% stable service!

Voipfone has even promised us on-site technical visit. We made staff
available and the guy didn't even turn up.

Darren

Old September 29th 06, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Mr.Muppster wrote:

I believe the problem with something like a Snom320 is that my broadband
connection is in another part of the house & hence why I want to use
cordless DECT phones.

Go with a pure soft-phone solution (eg. X-Lite) and invest in a decent
USB handset. Then wherever you are, as long as your laptop is connected
to a reasonable broadband service, you'll have a telephone service,
and the handset can travel in your laptop case.

You'll need to register with one of the SIP providers
(eg. Sipgate/voiptalk/Gradwell, etc.) but then you'll have a UK number
which you can make and recieve calls with for as long as you keep the
contract with the provider. You will need to make up new business cards,
etc. to refleft your new business phone number, but this shouldn't be
an issue, I'd have thought.

The number and service will then not be tied to your ordinary home phone
line either, so working from home won't be affected by the rest of the
family's phone use. (And it'll be a separate bill which might make your
accounting easier)

I do something very similar to this using a Tesco USB handset - plug my
laptop in, plug the handset in & I can make and get calls right away.

If you don't use your laptop at home, then you can run the same software &
handset on your desktop system, or even run a WiFi SIP phone.

Gordon
Old September 29th 06, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
mattpark

"Get a SIP phone like Snom 320"

I concur, i use the 320, great little phone. Runs on a linux core so
you can tweak the buggery out of them.

Get them cheaper at http://www.snomshop.co.uk
---
External Post from http://ukvoiptalk.com
Old September 29th 06, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr.Muppster

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, but I'm trying to avoid using my PC as phone exchange otherwise I
may as well stick with VoipStunt.

Old September 29th 06, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Darren

"mattpark" wrote in message
"Get a SIP phone like Snom 320"

I concur, i use the 320, great little phone. Runs on a linux core so
you can tweak the buggery out of them.

Get them cheaper at http://www.snomshop.co.uk

just ordered a headset from there....hope they're good!