Laserjet 4m as network printer?

Old September 29th 06, 04:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AP

Default Laserjet 4m as network printer?

Is it possible/easy to instal an HP laserjet 4m on a small LAN? There's no
rj45 socket on the printer. Would I need to fit a network card, or
alternatively, is there such a thing as a cable with rj45 on one end and an
LPT-type plug on t'other? Thanks for any advice.

Old September 29th 06, 04:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dougal

AP wrote:

Is it possible/easy to instal an HP laserjet 4m on a small LAN? There's no
rj45 socket on the printer. Would I need to fit a network card, or
alternatively, is there such a thing as a cable with rj45 on one end and an
LPT-type plug on t'other? Thanks for any advice.

Print server?

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Prin...ers/PS101.aspx
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Prin...ers/PS110.aspx
Old September 29th 06, 05:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AP

Thanks very much for that (incredibly quick) response. As it happens, we
already have one o' those! It's the very thing I'm trying to get rid of.
Seems a bit daft to have, in effect, two completely separate networks - one
solely for that printer - I'd like to get rid of the box & cables, and just
run everything over the one network. (We've already linked a more modern
colour printer, which works fine...the problem with the LJ4M is that it only
has a serial and a parallel port - no network socket.)
"Dougal" DougalAThiskennel.free-online.co.uk wrote in message
. uk...

Old September 29th 06, 05:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tx2

"AP" wrote in message
Thanks very much for that (incredibly quick) response. As it happens, we
already have one o' those! It's the very thing I'm trying to get rid of.
Seems a bit daft to have, in effect, two completely separate networks -
one solely for that printer - I'd like to get rid of the box & cables, and
just run everything over the one network. (We've already linked a more
modern colour printer, which works fine...the problem with the LJ4M is
that it only has a serial and a parallel port - no network socket.)

What do you mean by "two completely separate networks"?

Old September 29th 06, 05:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dougal

Tx2 wrote:

"AP" wrote in message

Thanks very much for that (incredibly quick) response. As it happens, we
already have one o' those! It's the very thing I'm trying to get rid of.
Seems a bit daft to have, in effect, two completely separate networks -
one solely for that printer - I'd like to get rid of the box & cables, and
just run everything over the one network. (We've already linked a more
modern colour printer, which works fine...the problem with the LJ4M is
that it only has a serial and a parallel port - no network socket.)

What do you mean by "two completely separate networks"?

I, too, don't understand "two networks".

All the PS is doing is providing a means of joining your RJ45 network
connection to the printer's parallel port. Look upon it as a bulge in
the cable! There is still only one connection into your network.

A PS110 (or 104, 105, 113 etc) does give you the advantage of being
able to extend your network should you later so wish - but it's not
'another' network.

All right there's the added bulk of the thing with its power supply
but you're not surely that pushed for space.
Old September 29th 06, 06:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AP

Hello again

Apologies for my slack use of English...it is of course not 'another
network', just a few cables & a box. And it's not taking up any space to
speak of. It just seemed to me that other things being equal, if it was
possible/easy to install the LJ4 on 'the' network, it would be a neater and
less cluttered solution. But I guess 'it's not broke, so why fix it'? I'll
leave it as is. It works. Many thanks for your help.

Old September 29th 06, 07:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob

"AP" wrote in message
Is it possible/easy to instal an HP laserjet 4m on a small LAN? There's no
rj45 socket on the printer. Would I need to fit a network card, or
alternatively, is there such a thing as a cable with rj45 on one end and
an LPT-type plug on t'other? Thanks for any advice.

Easiest if you can find one is a second-hand JetDirect card for it
(which is an internal printserver card.)
From memory, it's a J2550B you want. It goes in the back next
to the // port and has a 10baseT RJ45 port.
Those printers were the *de facto* office standard and I wouldn't
be surprised if you get another 10 years out of it!

HTH
--
Rob

Old September 29th 06, 08:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , AP
writes
Is it possible/easy to instal an HP laserjet 4m on a small LAN? There's no
rj45 socket on the printer. Would I need to fit a network card, or
alternatively, is there such a thing as a cable with rj45 on one end and an
LPT-type plug on t'other? Thanks for any advice.

Piece of cake, you can get an internal card for these printers, if
you're in Manchester or close by, you could pick one up from me if you
wanted, I've got a few spare.
--
Clint Sharp
Old October 2nd 06, 11:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AP

Many thanks for all replies. I think after all that I might give it a
go...the cards seem to go for under a tenner on ebay, and I would prefer to
de-clutter if possible.