NIC Firmware Update

Old September 30th 06, 08:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default NIC Firmware Update

I appreciate many Access Points and modems have facilities to update
firmware but can firmware be updated on WiFi adapters?

Reason I ask is that I have a Netgem I-Player+ digital TV viewer which
allows WiFi access to my network.

I have a Linksys USB adapter but only a later version firmware of the
same model can be used.

Geoff Lane

Old September 30th 06, 10:43 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
I appreciate many Access Points and modems have facilities to update
firmware but can firmware be updated on WiFi adapters?

Sure, it is possible - likely even - but whether updated firmware exists or
not is another matter. For instance, some improvements may require different
hardware.

[snip]
I have a Linksys USB adapter but only a later version firmware of the
same model can be used.

I had a quick look on Linksys' website and firmware is available for some
versions (hardware revisions I presume) of some USB adaptors.

Alex

Old October 1st 06, 01:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 10:43:45 +0100, "Alex Fraser"
wrote:

I appreciate many Access Points and modems have facilities to update
firmware but can firmware be updated on WiFi adapters?

I have a Linksys USB adapter but only a later version firmware of the
same model can be used.

I had a quick look on Linksys' website and firmware is available for some
versions (hardware revisions I presume) of some USB adaptors.

Thanks Alex, I'll have a look on the site, I've got an old Linksys
WUSB11 v2.6 and only v2.6b apparently works with the device I'd like
to use it with.

Geoff Lane