Mains Networking

Old September 30th 06, 05:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
britrail

Default Mains Networking

I want to switch from dial up to broadband but the room my computer is
in does not have a telephone socket, and I wondered if using mains
networking would be a good solution and better or not than a wireless
network. Which would be the least intrusive. At present I just use an
extension lead which would not be practical with broadband.

Which would be the least expensive solution. Being able to use with
Linux (mandriva) would be an advantage.

Old September 30th 06, 06:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dougal

britrail wrote:
I want to switch from dial up to broadband but the room my computer is
in does not have a telephone socket, and I wondered if using mains
networking would be a good solution and better or not than a wireless
network. Which would be the least intrusive. At present I just use an
extension lead which would not be practical with broadband.

Which would be the least expensive solution. Being able to use with
Linux (mandriva) would be an advantage.

I'm using these quite satisfactorily:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ns %20network

Maplin currently have the faster version on promotion until 3 Oct:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...39&criter ia=

Old October 1st 06, 01:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian James

"Dougal" DougalAThiskennel.free-online.co.uk wrote in message
britrail wrote:
I want to switch from dial up to broadband but the room my computer is
in does not have a telephone socket, and I wondered if using mains
networking would be a good solution and better or not than a wireless
network. Which would be the least intrusive. At present I just use an
extension lead which would not be practical with broadband.

Which would be the least expensive solution. Being able to use with
Linux (mandriva) would be an advantage.

I'm using these quite satisfactorily:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ns %20network

Maplin currently have the faster version on promotion until 3 Oct:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...39&criter ia=

Get them from here http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm they're much
cheaper than Maplin. Also, they have a 200Mb/s version coming soon.

Ian

Old October 1st 06, 03:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mark Goodge

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 13:06:48 +0100, Ian James put finger to keyboard
and typed:

britrail wrote:
I want to switch from dial up to broadband but the room my computer is
in does not have a telephone socket, and I wondered if using mains
networking would be a good solution and better or not than a wireless
network. Which would be the least intrusive. At present I just use an
extension lead which would not be practical with broadband.

Which would be the least expensive solution. Being able to use with
Linux (mandriva) would be an advantage.

I'm using these quite satisfactorily:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ns %20network

Maplin currently have the faster version on promotion until 3 Oct:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...39&criter ia=

Get them from here http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm they're much
cheaper than Maplin. Also, they have a 200Mb/s version coming soon.

This may be a dim question, but how practical, reliable and effective
are these things in everyday use? Do they just act as a kind of
intermediate link that's self-configuring, or does the PC at the far
end of it need to be set up an differently to one on the ethernet
network? Can you plug a hub into one in order to connect multiple
computers in the same room to the rest of the network?

Mark
--
Please help a cat in need: http://www.goodge.co.uk/cat/
"I know I can be afraid but I'm alive"
Old October 2nd 06, 06:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian James

"Mark Goodge" wrote in message
..uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&DOY=30m9&ModuleNo=48539&criter ia=

Snip

This may be a dim question, but how practical, reliable and effective
are these things in everyday use? Do they just act as a kind of
intermediate link that's self-configuring, or does the PC at the far
end of it need to be set up an differently to one on the ethernet
network? Can you plug a hub into one in order to connect multiple
computers in the same room to the rest of the network?

Mark

AFAIK they act just like a cat5 link i.e. you can plug a switch in and share
the (slightly) limited bandwidth. Also, I believe you lose some speed if the
mains sockets are on different rings but at DSL speed that's not a problem.

Ian

Old October 5th 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
stephen

"Ian James"
wrote
in message ...

"Mark Goodge" wrote in message
.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&DOY=30m9&ModuleNo=48539&criter ia=

Snip

This may be a dim question, but how practical, reliable and effective
are these things in everyday use? Do they just act as a kind of
intermediate link that's self-configuring, or does the PC at the far
end of it need to be set up an differently to one on the ethernet
network? Can you plug a hub into one in order to connect multiple
computers in the same room to the rest of the network?

review of the 85 Mbps Netgear one - this comes with a 4 port Ethernet switch
built in
http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-comput...e-shared-files

Mark

AFAIK they act just like a cat5 link i.e. you can plug a switch in and

share
the (slightly) limited bandwidth. Also, I believe you lose some speed if

the
mains sockets are on different rings but at DSL speed that's not a

problem.

Ian

--
Regards