I am looking for a simple voip solution....

Old October 1st 06, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
SBS

Default I am looking for a simple voip solution....

Hi,
I am looking for a very simple voip solution for
a friend who lives in UK and wants an US phone
number because she has to make and receive calls
to and from United States.

She needs a pre-configured ready-to-use device.
(I would prefer a fritz box fon ata)

Can anyone suggest me a simple solution for her?

Regards.

Old October 1st 06, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"SBS" wrote in message

Hi,
I am looking for a very simple voip solution for
a friend who lives in UK and wants an US phone
number because she has to make and receive calls
to and from United States.

She needs a pre-configured ready-to-use device.
(I would prefer a fritz box fon ata)

Can anyone suggest me a simple solution for her?

Regards.

There are plenty of US VoIP providers, just as there are UK ones. You can
get a US number free from www.ipkall.com but these are limited to
Washington state and a few other areas. They are not a true VoIP provider
as such, but their numbers can be routed to most SIP addresses. (They do
not currently work with Sipgate, but this is a problem at Sipgate's end
which they know about and are working on, I will post here when I know
more, hopefully this week).

If there is a need to make calls to US numbers, then you will probably
find a US provider will give better value for call charges, it depends on
whether they'll let you sign up with a UK address or not. I don't use one
so I can't personally advise, someone else may know or you may want to
check out one or more of the US-based groups; comp.dcom.voice-over-ip is
probably the best place to start.

Ivor

Old October 2nd 06, 02:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

I'm very happy with ViaTalk, and their PAP2 adapter comes
preconfigured, just plug it in, though it is NA, i.e. not tied to the
company. I'm using their second port for a different port for a
different provider. Their sign up page allows for service addresses
all over the world. Check with them if they can help you.

Thanks,

Thomas
See review at http://www.betterphone.org

Take a look at www.voicestick.com

free incoming number, program in a USB memory stick, etc

Old October 3rd 06, 10:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Take a look at www.voicestick.com

free incoming number, program in a USB memory stick, etc

That means using a PC. Who wants to do that everytime they want to
make a call?
Use an ATA - Fritzbox if you please. Remembering that you don't have
to use the same company for outgoing calls as you do for incoming.
So, you could choose a company for your incoming US number and use an
entirely different company for your outgoing calls.
There is IPkall as mentioned earlier, and I think StanaPhone does US
numbers - there is another one that offers free Ohio numbers but I
can't remember the name - someone else here might know.
Avoid Gizmo 'Free' numbers - it costs 1 to RECEIVE a call unless you
sign up to one of thier packages.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Skype Free Zone!!
Old October 4th 06, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
andy

Iowa 641 or 515 area codes at www.freedigits.com

Old October 4th 06, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Iowa 641 or 515 area codes at www.freedigits.com

Slip of the brain there, yes I meant Iowa.
Old October 4th 06, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

I get referral points only if someone orders the service (which is
unlikely for most of the UK). Just accessing the information and
reading my review and other pages doesn't "line my pocket". For more
details about the referral program go to
http://www.myreferer.com/mydb/?M=via...tauzinger&L=26.

Thanks,

Thomas

Bala wrote:
On 1 Oct 2006 18:11:49 -0700, said:

See review at
http://www.betterphone.org

Access the information without lining the guy's pocket at:
http://www.viatalk.com/

Iowa 641 or 515 area codes at www.freedigits.com

Slip of the brain there, yes I meant Iowa.

close - you only had the syllables in the wrong order ...