Wireless ADSL modem router firewall printserver...suggestions

Old October 2nd 06, 02:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Wireless ADSL modem router firewall printserver...suggestions

I want to improve my wireless performance and simplify the 3 box
solution i have at present (old pre-firewall netgear modem
router/netgear WAP/dLink printserver).

Any suggestions other than the Draytek 2800g? PCPro didnt think much
of it's wireless performance.

Netgear do a router with the other features but lacking a Modem so not
a lot of help

Old October 3rd 06, 03:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Jon wrote:
There is a published list on drayteks site somewhere, with a footnote
along the lines of "if you manage to get yours working let us know how".

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_...lpr_setup.html doesn't list
any but the setup is the same as for my current D-Link printserver
which suggests if my printer works with that it will work this way as
well.

What's annoying using an inkjet printer is that I lose access to all
the clean print heads/etc etc printer utilities.

My b&w Samsung laser has always worked really well though.

Old October 3rd 06, 05:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Kevin Ashley

wrote:
I want to improve my wireless performance and simplify the 3 box
solution i have at present (old pre-firewall netgear modem
router/netgear WAP/dLink printserver).

Any suggestions other than the Draytek 2800g? PCPro didnt think much
of it's wireless performance.

Netgear do a router with the other features but lacking a Modem so not
a lot of help

Safecom have produced a number of products which fit the bill
and I've had good results with their stuff. The GWAMRU-54108 is
currently available through ebuyer as an ebuyer extra value product
(i.e. it's rebadged) for 50 inc VAT (quickfind code 90973,
as it seems impossible to quote a URL from their site which
works for anyone else.)

802.11g+ wireless, ADSL modem, USB printserver and a bunch
of handy goodies, including a built-in Dyndns client so you
can assign a fixed DNS name to your services even with a changing
IP address, should that be useful (I find it handy for remote
management of the router itself.)

As with other USB printservers, they don't guarantee it will work
with all printers, but they do have an updated list on
their website of all the printers it is known to work with,
as well as some it is known *not* to work with.
Old October 4th 06, 09:22 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gareth Halfacree

Kevin Ashley wrote:
Safecom have produced a number of products which fit the bill
and I've had good results with their stuff. The GWAMRU-54108 is
currently available through ebuyer as an ebuyer extra value product
(i.e. it's rebadged) for 50 inc VAT (quickfind code 90973,
as it seems impossible to quote a URL from their site which
works for anyone else.)

Really? http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/90973 should work fine for
anyone, first-time visitor or no.

--
Gareth Halfacree
http://gareth.halfacree.co.uk
Old October 5th 06, 10:25 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Gareth Halfacree wrote:
Really? http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/90973 should work fine for
anyone, first-time visitor or no.

That looks interesting. I think I'm going for a different approach.
I'll hold out for a new modem/WAP until I've a PC that can actually use
a faster wireless connection - not keen on the aerial hanging out of
the side of the laptop with a pcmcia card (having seen what happens if
you drop it)

In the meantime i've ebay'd a HP Laserjet 4000 with a built in
printserver to replace my existing samsung laser and seperate 2 port
printserver. I'll use the colour inkjet direct off one of the pc's as
i rarely need to print in colour.

Old October 5th 06, 05:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Kevin Ashley

Gareth Halfacree wrote:
Kevin Ashley wrote:

as it seems impossible to quote a URL from their site which
works for anyone else.)

Really? http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/90973 should work fine for
anyone, first-time visitor or no.

You're absolutely right. My comment was made in haste, and came
from frustration with trying to re-use the URLs which result from
clicking one's way through to things (they seemed to involve
session keys of some sort.) I hadn't realised the quickfind
codes corresponded to such straightforward URLs, and it's
handy to know - thanks.