More than one network

Old October 3rd 06, 07:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jack Ouzzi

Default More than one network

A complicated subject networking, coupled with my simple old brain so
if its a daft question, just sit me down in a chair with a can of
something.

Is it possible for a client (see I'm learning the terms) computer to
connect to more that one network?

My laptop connects via wireless to my home network (WPA-PSK) with a
couple of desktops in other rooms (wired) to the netowrk called "HOME"

I occasionally meet with a friend remotely (no internet access) with a
laptop and wish to exchange files etc using a 'crossover cable' but not
quite sure how to set it up .... if I use the 'wizard' to setup a
network called, say "REMOTE", will it overwrite the "HOME" settings, or
is it possible to have more that one network to conncect to?

TIA

(Both using Win XP Home)

Old October 3rd 06, 07:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article om, Jack
Ouzzi says...
A complicated subject networking, coupled with my simple old brain so
if its a daft question, just sit me down in a chair with a can of
something.

Is it possible for a client (see I'm learning the terms) computer to
connect to more that one network?

My laptop connects via wireless to my home network (WPA-PSK) with a
couple of desktops in other rooms (wired) to the netowrk called "HOME"

I occasionally meet with a friend remotely (no internet access) with a
laptop and wish to exchange files etc using a 'crossover cable' but not
quite sure how to set it up .... if I use the 'wizard' to setup a
network called, say "REMOTE", will it overwrite the "HOME" settings, or
is it possible to have more that one network to conncect to?

Just plug in the cable and you should be OK....Windows will
automatically sort it out. It won't affect your wireless network.

--
Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, 2.50 just for signing up:
http://www.TopCashBack.co.uk/Conor/ref/index.htm
Old October 5th 06, 10:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
tony broughton

You could try getting a 2nd hand internet router with a built in
ethernet switch and use the built-in dhcp server to be a very quick way
of configuring your two xp boxes, might be easier than trying to get a
x-over cable to work. If you use dhcp then the router will supply ip
addresses to the two xp boxes and you won't have to configure them manually,
so getting a cheapie for a tenner off eaby might be worth a try. You wouln't
connect it to the internet of course!

- Tony

Old October 30th 06, 07:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
TGTBT Media Web Design & Hosting Services

"Jack Ouzzi" wrote in
ps.com:

A complicated subject networking, coupled with my simple old brain so
if its a daft question, just sit me down in a chair with a can of
something.

Is it possible for a client (see I'm learning the terms) computer to
connect to more that one network?

My laptop connects via wireless to my home network (WPA-PSK) with a
couple of desktops in other rooms (wired) to the netowrk called "HOME"

I occasionally meet with a friend remotely (no internet access) with a
laptop and wish to exchange files etc using a 'crossover cable' but
not quite sure how to set it up .... if I use the 'wizard' to setup a
network called, say "REMOTE", will it overwrite the "HOME" settings,
or is it possible to have more that one network to conncect to?

TIA

(Both using Win XP Home)

The wireless connection is irrelevant as you are using wired with your
friend. However I can understand your concern with internet access (MAKE
SURE Internet Connection Sharing is OFF on YOUR computer)

TIP: ADD A NEW CONNECTION (to BOTH computers), call it whatever you
wish, just make sure it has a different IP address from your friend.

What I think you are applying to with the names is NETBEUI Workgroups?
otherwise the name should not matter, just ensure you both have
different IP address' and on the SAME subnet setting.

then do the following: start | run | command | ping OTHERIPADDRESSHERE

It should say the computer is responding.

In order to share files, you will need to share a folder like you
normally would, then open a window and goto \\OTHERIPADDRESSHERE

Obviously replacing OTHERIPADDRESSHERE with the other computers ip
address.

--
Kind Regards,

Alex Davies
IT & Networking Solutions Developer for Signature Networks
TGTBT Media Web Design & Hosting Services

http://www.tgtbt-online.com