Suggested VOIP set up

Old October 5th 06, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
speckled hen

Default Suggested VOIP set up

Hi. Looking to go with the voip solution looking for suggestions
This is my home set up: BT Broadband with netgear DG834 router/modem, 3
hardwired networked PCs + print server.
Originally bought a netgear TA612 612v voice adaptor on sipgate as I
thought keeping woth netgear would make it simple (how wrong i was,
gonna bin that heep of crap now) also I have an internal phone system
that I would like to terminate the VOIP line on it to use in different
locations around the house.
I never did get the 612 working so I am looking for a voip solution
that I can connect into my DG834 that I can terminate onto my phone
system, i want this line to ring as an independent line IE not to ring
my main line as well.
Can anyone help with a solution.
Thanks all

Old October 5th 06, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Daviey

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 05:18 -0700, speckled hen wrote:
Hi. Looking to go with the voip solution looking for suggestions
This is my home set up: BT Broadband with netgear DG834 router/modem, 3
hardwired networked PCs + print server.
Originally bought a netgear TA612 612v voice adaptor on sipgate as I
thought keeping woth netgear would make it simple (how wrong i was,
gonna bin that heep of crap now) also I have an internal phone system
that I would like to terminate the VOIP line on it to use in different
locations around the house.
I never did get the 612 working so I am looking for a voip solution
that I can connect into my DG834 that I can terminate onto my phone
system, i want this line to ring as an independent line IE not to ring
my main line as well.
Can anyone help with a solution.
Thanks all

What is your existing telephone network? I feel that it may be worth
Looking into Asterisk to either replace or integrate with your existing
telephone setup.

If Asterisk look a little daunting, i would suggest looking at Trixbox
(it is Asterisk with lots of other bundles on a bootable installing
distro CD).

Old October 5th 06, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
speckled hen

Daviey wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply.
Its the BT inspiration system, just 2 analogue i/c lines with standard
telephones as extensions, as well as a couple of Nokia premicells
providing gsm access

Old October 5th 06, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Daviey

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 06:07 -0700, speckled hen wrote:
Daviey wrote:
On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 05:18 -0700, speckled hen wrote:
Hi. Looking to go with the voip solution looking for suggestions...

SNIP

What is your existing telephone network? I feel that it may be worth
Looking into Asterisk to either replace or integrate with your existing
telephone setup.

If Asterisk look a little daunting, i would suggest looking at Trixbox
(it is Asterisk with lots of other bundles on a bootable installing
distro CD).

Thanks for the reply.
Its the BT inspiration system, just 2 analogue i/c lines with standard
telephones as extensions, as well as a couple of Nokia premicells
providing gsm acc

I don't know much about BT Inspiration, but if your paying rental, then
i would definitely convert. From your initial description i'm guessing
you like to tinker, and have grossly overspec'd kit for your home
telephones (as many of us do! This being the case, Asterisk will do
everything you currently have plus the voip extras!

If you decide to convert you will need:
* An old computer (400-500Mhz will do nicely)
* An adapter for your current handsets (ATA / FXS)
* An adapter to connect your PSTN line to the machine (FXO)

Old October 5th 06, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
speckled hen

Daviey wrote:
[...]

Hi
Not not paying rental, don't really want expense of new system, been
looking at another post on this forum on similar solution. I think I
will look around on ebay for an adaptor.
Not sure if I will stay with sipgate as they have never given me an
answer on my DG834+ATA set up, although I do like the idea of having a
standard std number allocated
Thanks

Old October 5th 06, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

speckled hen formulated the question :

Hi
Not not paying rental, don't really want expense of new system, been
looking at another post on this forum on similar solution. I think I
will look around on ebay for an adaptor.
Not sure if I will stay with sipgate as they have never given me an
answer on my DG834+ATA set up, although I do like the idea of having a
standard std number allocated
Thanks

How many analogue line ports do you have available on your BT
Inspiration? If you have a spare one, just buy something like a
Linksys/Sipura SPA1001.(If you have 2, perhaps an SPA2102)

Lowest price I've seen an SPA1001 is he
http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=740&osCsid=3643534dcc ff2224149f89e9a745b94e

You may need to check it's not locked to their suggested VoIP provider,
Orbtalk.

Old October 5th 06, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
speckled hen

Jono wrote:
[...]

Yes that looks good, prob give it ago and connect onto the phone system
as i have a couple of spare line ports
Thanks for your help

Old October 5th 06, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

speckled hen expressed precisely :
Jono wrote:
[...]

Then the SPA2102 would probably be more appropriate - it has two
completely independant phone ports. The built in router can simply be
ignored. The other thing that this one is capable of is T38 (?) for
faxing over VoIP (FoIP)

Old October 6th 06, 07:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
speckled hen

How many analogue line ports do you have available on your BT
Inspiration? If you have a spare one, just buy something like a
Linksys/Sipura SPA1001.(If you have 2, perhaps an SPA2102)

Lowest price I've seen an SPA1001 is he
http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=740&osCsid=3643534dcc ff2224149f89e9a745b94e

You may need to check it's not locked to their suggested VoIP provider,
Orbtalk.

Yes that looks good, prob give it ago and connect onto the phone system
as i have a couple of spare line ports
Thanks for your help

Then the SPA2102 would probably be more appropriate - it has two
completely independant phone ports. The built in router can simply be
ignored. The other thing that this one is capable of is T38 (?) for
faxing over VoIP (FoIP)

You say it has a built in router? So I assume I can plug one of my PCs
into that port? It is that my son has a pc connect
to the LAN and i am concerned about QOS as I am sure he is always down
connection on my PC.
Thanks for your help

Old October 6th 06, 08:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"speckled hen" wrote in message
ups.com...

Then the SPA2102 would probably be more appropriate - it has two
completely independant phone ports. The built in router can simply be
ignored. The other thing that this one is capable of is T38 (?) for
faxing over VoIP (FoIP)

You say it has a built in router? So I assume I can plug one of my PCs
into that port? It is that my son has a pc connect
to the LAN and i am concerned about QOS as I am sure he is always down
connection on my PC.

Yes, it does have a simple router built in. AFAIK, though, it only has a
10Mb WAN port. It's QoS isn't as configurable as you suggest you would like.
It will prioritise VoIP but only reduce speeds on PCs connected to it. You
wouldn't be able to use it to speed up your PC whilst your son's
downloading. If you really want to use its QoS for VoIP, it needs to be
connected to your network before any other devices.

If you need to perform QoS on your entire network, I can heartily recommend
a Linksys WRT54G (v 3.1) with the DWRT-VoIP Firmware flash.