Sipgate... Hardware options or an alternative

Old October 5th 06, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Justin

Default Sipgate... Hardware options or an alternative

Hi.. I have browsed through this forum from time to time and the one
before it.

I know sometimes Sipgate is used as a swear word on this forum but for
our particular use it is wonderful. The saving is considerable with no
monthly charge or joining fee. Having just changed electricity/gas
supplier I'm in the mood for checking out other household suppliers for
cheap/better alternatives. Prior to Sipate we were paying over 50 a
quarter in international calls. Our BT bills are now just line rental
and the occasional local/national call.

We took up a PC Format offer to join Sipgate and have used it for
longer than I can remember and set up two geographical telephone
numbers, both 01223 3. One is ours and the other we manage for my
partners parents in Spain. The numbers are used primarily for England
to Spain calls and allow both households to call each other at a very
cheap rates, particularly from my partner's parents point of view as it
enables them to call their friends and family in the UK and only pay
the Sipgate national rate, having a UK geographical number.

We do not do the Sipgate to Sipgate calls as it requires both computers
to be on and, although our Sipgate works on our cordless DECT phones
throughout the house, when our PC is on, theirs is only a mic/headset
arrangement and their office is a long way from the living area.

Is there any cheap hardware around that would enable a link into the
existing 'house' telephone system that doesn't require a PC to be
running somewhere. We both have multiple port routers and 3+ cordless
DECT phones each.

Thanks...

Justin

Old October 5th 06, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article .com,
Justin wrote:

Is there any cheap hardware around that would enable a link into the
existing 'house' telephone system that doesn't require a PC to be
running somewhere. We both have multiple port routers and 3+ cordless
DECT phones each.

An ATA.

Ethernet one side, analog phone socket on the other. (Which you can
plug a DECT phone into)

Examples at:

http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/adapters

or

http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Analogue+VoIP+Adaptors

Gordon
Old October 5th 06, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in
message
In article
.com,
Justin wrote:

Is there any cheap hardware around that would enable a
link into the existing 'house' telephone system that
doesn't require a PC to be running somewhere. We both
have multiple port routers and 3+ cordless DECT phones
each.

An ATA.

Ethernet one side, analog phone socket on the other.
(Which you can plug a DECT phone into)

Or you can do what I do and plug the ATA outputs into spare exchange line
ports on a PABX, but that's probably overkill for most people ;-)

Ivor

Old October 5th 06, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Scope

Justin wrote:

[snip]

Justin

I would consider voip.co.uk aswell if I were you.. No monthly charge and
option to join their 1.99 free UK phonecall option should you find you
need to make more phone calls. You also get a free local area number,
similar to sipgate.
Old October 6th 06, 07:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
speckled hen

Scope wrote:
Justin wrote:

[snip]

Justin

I would consider voip.co.uk aswell if I were you.. No monthly charge and
option to join their 1.99 free UK phonecall option should you find you
need to make more phone calls. You also get a free local area number,
similar to sipgate.

Have you seen the answers I have been given in a previous post to
yours?
looks like we are looking for the same solution.

Old October 6th 06, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Justin

Thanks for the interest everyone. Which is thread are you referring
too?

The ATA solution sounds expensive. I was kind of hoping that someone
had brought out a more realistically priced model. At 50 thats
equivalent to me running my PC for 800 hours of telephone calls.

Are there any routers will this facility built in as I might be in the
market for a new adsl modem/router?

Old October 7th 06, 01:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Justin" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the interest everyone. Which is thread are you referring
too?

The ATA solution sounds expensive. I was kind of hoping that someone
had brought out a more realistically priced model. At 50 thats
equivalent to me running my PC for 800 hours of telephone calls.

Are there any routers will this facility built in as I might be in the
market for a new adsl modem/router?

40 is the absolute cheapest with non-adsl router. Some at that price can
be a bit challenging to set up though (avoid Grandstream for example)

If you want an adsl router, you will need something like
http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/av...ox_fon_for_dsl.

If you also want wifi try
http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/avm/fritzbox_fon_wlan. I have the one up
from this but they operate on the same principles.

Old October 7th 06, 02:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Tony Blare" wrote in message

On 5 Oct 2006 06:03:21 -0700, Justin wrote:

I know sometimes Sipgate is used as a swear word on
this forum but for our particular use it is wonderful.
The saving is considerable with no monthly charge or
joining fee.

I've never understood sipgate charging. Looking at their
website suggests you need to sign up to sipgate 1000 @
5.99 / month. Minutes can't be rolled over to another
month. If you make a small number of calls, it doesn't
sound like a good deal at all.

You don't *have* to use the 1000 minutes option, it's just that, an
option. It's of use if you make that many minutes of calls in a month,
otherwise it isn't..! Just pay as you go -
https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/tarife.php

If most of your calls are to other Sipgate users, or to users of networks
with a peering agreement, as mine are, then the calls will be free.

Ivor

Old October 7th 06, 08:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Tony Blare" wrote in message

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 02:13:09 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

You don't *have* to use the 1000 minutes option, it's
just that, an option. It's of use if you make that many
minutes of calls in a month, otherwise it isn't..! Just
pay as you go -
https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/tarife.php

Ah, they don't make the non-sipgate1000 option terribly
clear. So are you saying I can load my account with
credit and then use up the credit on a pay as you go
basis? If so, what's the minimum amount of credit I can
add. Also will remaining credit run on indefinitely till
it runs out (without the end of the month loss like
sipgate1000)?

10 and it lasts indefinitely, it will not run out. I still have credit on
my accounts that was added when I opened them almost 2 years ago..!

Note that on the *first* occasion that you credit an account, you'll have
to call the sipgate number 10200 from your sipgate account and enter the
provided security code. This only applies if using a credit/debit card.

I wish they would make the website clearer for those of
us who might sign up but don't want the sipgate1000
option.

Hmm, can you explain why you thought it was required to use the 1000
option..? I can't see anything that implies it's not merely an option. It
says quite clearly on the tariff page on the left hand side "Tariff

Ivor

Old October 7th 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joe Harrison

The Sipgate 1000 is actually pretty good if you think you will be home a
lot. You can turn the 1000 on and off on a monthly basis so if I know I am
going to be making an unusually large number of calls I activate it, then
turn it off again next month for normal family usage. I mean anyway six quid
is not like you have to make a big financial forecast.