Interesting DSL Router

Old October 5th 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Interesting DSL Router

I've got a home network behind a NAT router with an older WEP AP
plugged in to the router.

I would like to buy a printer server but they are all around the 40+
plus mark.

Strangely USR do an interesting device ( http://tinyurl.com/epk7t ).

It is a 4 port DSL router with Print server, firewall and a serial
port for an external backup modem, all for under 40.

I have two questions if anyone could throw any light;

Now a second NAT router does have security advantages as I could
seperate the network but I am puzzled as it says 'DHCP support'.

1. Could this USR router refer to a DHCP server that was on a
different network address.

2. The serial port, I am wondering how the modem is dialled as whn I
previously used a dialup modem it was physically connected to the
computer and not a network.

Geoff Lane

Old October 5th 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
I've got a home network behind a NAT router with an older WEP AP
plugged in to the router.

I would like to buy a printer server but they are all around the 40+
plus mark.

Strangely USR do an interesting device ( http://tinyurl.com/epk7t ).

It is a 4 port DSL router with Print server, firewall and a serial
port for an external backup modem, all for under 40.

I have two questions if anyone could throw any light;

Now a second NAT router does have security advantages as I could
seperate the network but I am puzzled as it says 'DHCP support'.

1. Could this USR router refer to a DHCP server that was on a
different network address.

I imagine it means it can act as a DHCP client on its Ethernet WAN port. It
might mean it can act as a DHCP server on its LAN ports. Both are probably
true in any case.

2. The serial port, I am wondering how the modem is dialled as whn I
previously used a dialup modem it was physically connected to the
computer and not a network.

Think of the router as a small box containing an even smaller,
special-purpose computer and a switch. That is essentially what it is.

I am not sure what you had in mind, so maybe you already realise this, but
the print server functionality is likely to be restricted to devices
connected to the LAN side of the router (ie to its LAN ports, perhaps via a
switch or AP).

Alex

Old October 7th 06, 09:25 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 21:23:46 +0100, "Alex Fraser"
wrote:

I would like to buy a printer server but they are all around the 40+
plus mark.

Strangely USR do an interesting device ( http://tinyurl.com/epk7t ).

2. The serial port, I am wondering how the modem is dialled as whn I
previously used a dialup modem it was physically connected to the
computer and not a network.

Think of the router as a small box containing an even smaller,
special-purpose computer and a switch. That is essentially what it is.

I am not sure what you had in mind, so maybe you already realise this, but
the print server functionality is likely to be restricted to devices
connected to the LAN side of the router (ie to its LAN ports, perhaps via a
switch or AP).

Mainly the print server but I have wanted to experiment with a second
network behind a further router but re the serial port connection, as
it is an external modem I am wondering if an authorised person could
dial in to the modem and become part of the network.

My line of thinking is for a computer using a mobile phone (normally
quite expensive) dialling in to a geographic number (cheaper) and
using this connection to access the internet.

Slow I know but recently on holiday I used a laptop and mobile to get
me email, I found the GPRS slow and expensive.

Geoff Lane