Skype and home networking with Netgear RO318 - Are there any issues?

Old October 6th 06, 09:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Elliott Cowton

Default Skype and home networking with Netgear RO318 - Are there any issues?

Hi

I have a foreign student living in the house at the moment and she wants to
set up a Skype connection.

The house is wired with a Cat5e network and a Netgear RO318 router talking
to the internet via an ntl 1Meg connection. Internal connections work at
Base 100. There are no fancy bits like VPN enabled.

In the past I have come across applications (Video Conferencing using Fuji
cameras is a good example) where it is not possible to use them through a
router like this because they do not conform properly to the ISO 7 layer
model for network comms.

Question: Before I prematurely age myself, are there any issues like "you
can't do this across a private network" that I ought to know about?

I have searched as much of the archive for this group as I can access and
can't find any relevant messages.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Elliott

Old October 7th 06, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Soruk

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 08:13:20 GMT, Elliott Cowton wrote:
Hi

I have a foreign student living in the house at the moment and she wants to
set up a Skype connection.

The house is wired with a Cat5e network and a Netgear RO318 router talking
to the internet via an ntl 1Meg connection. Internal connections work at
Base 100. There are no fancy bits like VPN enabled.

I have a Netgear DG834GT router, doing NAT (giving me a 192.168.x.x IP
inside). Skype works fine, including incoming calls.

You should find Skype will work without needing to do any tweaking.

--
-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
Eridani Star System

Mail Me Anywhere - http://www.MailMeAnywhere.com/ - Mobile email
Old October 7th 06, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Elliott Cowton

"Soruk" wrote in message

I have a Netgear DG834GT router, doing NAT (giving me a 192.168.x.x IP
inside). Skype works fine, including incoming calls.

You should find Skype will work without needing to do any tweaking.

Excellent and many thanks, that is what I wanted to hear!