Mobile VOIP Access (With PDA?)

Old October 6th 06, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Daviey

Default Mobile VOIP Access (With PDA?)

Ivor Please Ignore - I am not advertising TMobile.

I am interested in VOIP over mobile networks. Previously i didn't
consider GPRS to be fast enough for voip access.

3g seemed too expensive and unworthwhile. However Tmobile have released
a new product. 10GB cap 22.50 p/m
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09...e_voip_tariff/

This, in my opinion has made VOIP over mobile viable. Has anybody else
looked into this? I reckon conventional mobiles wouldn't really support
it, but PDA's might - with the right software.

Has anybody any experience with PDA's, VOIP and 3G?

The 3g connection would have to be constant to accept incoming calls, is
this possible with PDA's? Can you easily VPN into a VOIP PBX?

Old October 6th 06, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
mattpark

Your out of luck.

I think you will find that T mobile have placed a ban on all VoIP
activited accross their network

See this report:
http://ukvoiptalk.com/viewtopic.php?...hlight=tmobile
---
External Post from http://ukvoiptalk.com
Old October 6th 06, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Daviey

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 15:41 +0000, mattpark wrote:
Your out of luck.

I think you will find that T mobile have placed a ban on all VoIP
activited accross their network

See this report:
http://ukvoiptalk.com/viewtopic.php?...hlight=tmobile
---
External Post from http://ukvoiptalk.com

I have been watching that closely but the link in my original posting
says that they have dropped it.

But to be honest, if you could route it through a VPN then they could
not stop you using VOIP as they would have no way of knowing.

Old October 6th 06, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
NicHughes

Daviey wrote:
Ivor Please Ignore - I am not advertising TMobile.

I am interested in VOIP over mobile networks. Previously i didn't
consider GPRS to be fast enough for voip access.

3g seemed too expensive and unworthwhile. However Tmobile have released
a new product. 10GB cap 22.50 p/m
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09...e_voip_tariff/

If you want to make *lots* of VoIP calls it could be worth your while.
Bear in mind that this is on top of your monthly rental so for less
total money you could have 900 inclusive minutes on flext price plan
anyway.

Exactly how many minutes you would get in 10GB would vary according to
protocol and compression used but I think you would need the phone
pretty much stuck to your ear to see any real cost benefit. Which is
presumably what T-Mobile are banking on - the mobile operators are
generally about as keen on replacing voice calls with VoIP as turkeys
are on Xmas.

The 3g connection would have to be constant to accept incoming calls, is
this possible with PDA's? Can you easily VPN into a VOIP PBX?

I suggest that tunneling any VoIP protocol is not for the
faint-hearted, the simpler tunneling techniques do not work with UDP.
Setting up VPN from a PDA to a server is going to depend on your PDA,
your server and very probably what switches/routers you have between
them.

--
Nic

Old October 6th 06, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Daviey

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 11:04 -0700, NicHughes wrote:
Daviey wrote:

SNIP

If you want to make *lots* of VoIP calls it could be worth your while.
Bear in mind that this is on top of your monthly rental so for less
total money you could have 900 inclusive minutes on flext price plan
anyway.

SNIP

Nic, thank you for taking the time to post your comments. However, the
real attraction to this new service is that it appears to be purely a
data bundle as it mentions on the link i originally posted: "It'll cost
consumer punters 22.50 as a standalone product and 44 for suits, who
get voice bundled in."

The real benefit of this service is not saving money in calls, as i'm
not a huge user - it's the added benefit of having a fast Internet
connection for other Internet purposes for a few extra pounds a month.
Also my mobile number can be a standard area-code / or an extension on
my current PBX. And the other benefit is the most important - novelty!

I suggest that tunneling any VoIP protocol is not for the
faint-hearted, the simpler tunneling techniques do not work with UDP.
Setting up VPN from a PDA to a server is going to depend on your PDA,
your server and very probably what switches/routers you have between
them.

--
Nic

I'm not at all concerned with the server side of VPN as i currently have
a functional OpenVPN configuration that works with my current asterisk
setup. The real concern is how well PDA's work with it - as i'm
currently looking to purchase one.

Thanks again for your feedback Nic.

Old October 6th 06, 11:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
NicHughes

Daviey wrote:
On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 11:04 -0700, NicHughes wrote:
Daviey wrote:

SNIP

If you want to make *lots* of VoIP calls it could be worth your while.
Bear in mind that this is on top of your monthly rental so for less
total money you could have 900 inclusive minutes on flext price plan
anyway.

SNIP

Nic, thank you for taking the time to post your comments. However, the
real attraction to this new service is that it appears to be purely a
data bundle as it mentions on the link i originally posted: "It'll cost
consumer punters 22.50 as a standalone product and 44 for suits, who
get voice bundled in."

Web'n'walk currently works as a standalone for laptops (with a
datacard) or a free-standing addon to their monthly tariffs for
mobiles. I'd wait to see the actual product announcement before
assuming that this is approach is being thrown away by T-Mobile. If all
you want do do is put a data-only (i.e. no phone calls at all) SIM into
a PDA you can already do that by taking the SIM out of a datacard -
although I would agree that the new T-Mobile deal will be a good bundle
for heavy data users (and way cheaper than the Vodafone equivalent, for
example).

Bear in mind that on a data-only tariff it will not functionally be a
phone - its a super-portable computer with a better form factor for
VoIP than your average hardware. If you do go for it let us know how
you get on, I'm sure there will be interesting challenges along the
way.

--
Nic

Old October 6th 06, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
cybuerke

wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 16:46:17 +0100, "cybuerke"
wrote:

Now then, may I help you with anything?

Yes tell me how to get a certain useless voip provider stopped from
offering its services in the UK .

That's an easy one. It's called market forces. Ask a Gossiptel subscriber.
A lame duck will eventually be gobbled up by the predators. Keep an eye on
Vonage's share price if you intend to stay with them for more than a few
months.

Old October 6th 06, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
NicHughes

Daviey wrote:

Nic, thank you for taking the time to post your comments. However, the
real attraction to this new service is that it appears to be purely a
data bundle as it mentions on the link i originally posted: "It'll cost
consumer punters 22.50 as a standalone product and 44 for suits, who
get voice bundled in."

I just had another look at the T-Mobile site and I suspect el-reg was
reporting PR fluff that turned out not quite to match reality. The
tariffs are now up and appear to be:

For a datacard only the cost is 44 per month for the big bundle.
To have it on a phone of any sort it will cost 57.50 for the VoIP
enabled package.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher...ebnwalk_laptop

Broadly comparable with other operators then.

As the Register reported its only the -Max version that seems to permit
VoIP, expect it to be blocked on other tariffs. Whether you can evade
their blocks is down to your ingenuity I suppose

--
Nic