Network setup Question

Old October 6th 06, 06:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Coop

Default Network setup Question

Hello

Currently about to start buying hardware to do a 'home network'.

I currently have my main pc - connected to this is a laptop (upstairs) and
xbox 360 (downstairs).

My plan is to have my main pc, Xbox, Xbox 360,Laptop and kids PC all
connected to my 10mbs Cable Modem.

Im not bothered about wireless and will be using RJ45 cable to connect them
all together.

Cash is a little tight at the moment so would like to know if this would be
suitable.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K40B22AED

Coop

Old October 6th 06, 06:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve

I'm bidding on this at the moment http://tinyurl.com/hmoam

Old October 6th 06, 08:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Finnigan

Coop wrote:
Hello

Currently about to start buying hardware to do a 'home network'.

I currently have my main pc - connected to this is a laptop
(upstairs) and xbox 360 (downstairs).

My plan is to have my main pc, Xbox, Xbox 360,Laptop and kids PC all
connected to my 10mbs Cable Modem.

Im not bothered about wireless and will be using RJ45 cable to
connect them all together.

Cash is a little tight at the moment so would like to know if this
would be suitable.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K40B22AED

Coop

Do you have a cable modem, or a cable modem router? If the former, then
you`ll need a router as well. For example, one is at:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/52897

This will let you plug a USB printer into your network as well, and print
from it without any other PC being turned on. Might be an advantage for
you, but if not it`s still the cheapest router they have :-) After the
router, you will also need a switch or two, or maybe even more (my house
network is appallingly badly designed, i`ve got 4 switches plugged in one
after another) depending how close things are together. The router will
give you 4 network connections, a switch will give you some more, and then
some cables.

If I where you, i`d be tempted to visit ebuyer and get everything from one
place, rather than buying from multiples ebayers. Also, I`d suggest maybe
getting a spare switch if you have more than 1 of them. My g/f managed to
blow on up by unplugging a network cable from her laptop. The laptop wasn`t
connected to the switch that was damaged - the laptop was connected to one
switch, which was connected to a second switch, which was in turn connected
to the one that went fizz. It was deffinately her that blew it, but nothing
else connected has any issues. Took a VERY long time to figure out how it
had happened too!

Have fun getting it all up and running, I just had to re-do our house when
moving from ADSL to cable, as my router wasn`t compatible, and I had to
change every IP address by hand. Such fun!

Old October 6th 06, 09:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Coop

Cheers for replies guys.

I currently have a cable modem which is connected to my main pc - i then
have a xbox 360 and a laptop running from NIC cards in back of main pc. I
now want to add me xbox 1 and daughters pc to have internet access and
wanted everything to have access without me main pc been on. Hope that made
sense lol.

Coop

Old October 7th 06, 02:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Finnigan

Coop wrote:
Cheers for replies guys.

I currently have a cable modem which is connected to my main pc - i
then have a xbox 360 and a laptop running from NIC cards in back of
main pc. I now want to add me xbox 1 and daughters pc to have
internet access and wanted everything to have access without me main
pc been on. Hope that made sense lol.

If I understand correctly, then you MIGHT be able to just get a switch,
connect it to the rear of the PC and go from there, but i`m not at all
sure - ask someone who has done it first :-)