Problem adsl connection

Old October 8th 06, 11:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Problem adsl connection

I've got a problem with my daughter's Pipex adsl connection; she's
been away from her home address for 6 months so whe cannot specify
when this occured as there were problems early in the year but I
thought it was a dodgly phone cable.

She has the old 256Kb service but the connections are now very eratic,
the router shows the connection as dropping and pages time out when
attempting to load.

I've tried two different ethernet adsl modems and a new phone cable
from where it enters the house.

I'm thinking I have eliminated a problem my end so suspect it may be
Pipex or BT.

Are there any other options that I could look at.

She lives in Hemel Hempstead where the local papers reported earlier
in the year that the area had run out of adsl connections.

Geoff Lane

Old October 8th 06, 01:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Parry

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 10:12:25 +0100, Geoff Lane
wrote:

I'm thinking I have eliminated a problem my end so suspect it may be
Pipex or BT.

Are there any other options that I could look at.

She lives in Hemel Hempstead where the local papers reported earlier
in the year that the area had run out of adsl connections.

Parts of Hemel telecoms infrastructure are wired with aluminium cable
which can cause problems with ADSL. If this is your problem it is
unlikely anyone will be prepared to do anything about it.

Have you tried connecting directly to the master socket faceplate
with all other house telephone wiring disconnected? An increasing
problem with ADSL Max is the use of parallel laid rather than twisted
pair extension cables which increases noise levels a lot.

You could also try disconnecting pin 3 at the master and all
extensions and using only 2 and 5. The ADSL filters incorporate
their own ringing capacitors and the (unbalanced) ringing wire can
introduce noise itself.

--
Peter Parry WPP Ltd http://www.wpp.ltd.uk
Antenna solutions for car, caravan, house, office, boat and tent.
Old October 9th 06, 09:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Pier Danone

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
| I've got a problem with my daughter's Pipex adsl connection; she's
| been away from her home address for 6 months so whe cannot specify
| when this occured as there were problems early in the year but I
| thought it was a dodgly phone cable.
|
| She has the old 256Kb service but the connections are now very eratic,
| the router shows the connection as dropping and pages time out when
| attempting to load.
|
| I've tried two different ethernet adsl modems and a new phone cable
| from where it enters the house.
|
| I'm thinking I have eliminated a problem my end so suspect it may be
| Pipex or BT.
|
| Are there any other options that I could look at.
|
| She lives in Hemel Hempstead where the local papers reported earlier
| in the year that the area had run out of adsl connections.
|
| Geoff Lane

Follow the CORRECT procedure of you will just get cocked around.

Test the connection with all telephones, extensions and items like sky boxes
disconnected from the phone line.
Plug the modem into the test jack (behind the faceplate of the modern phone
socket if you remove it's lower half) (if you don't have this type of phone
socket it's a 'hardwired' installation so plug the modem into the 'master'
socket).
If it works here ok, it's your problem and indoors. If it does not work properly
here then contact PIPEX (not BT Openreach) and raise the fault with them.
Don't panic about the composition of the cable in the ground or any other BTO
factors, they are NOT your problem. As the service has worked for a reasonable
period BTO now have to keep it working regardless.

I must reitterate - report the fault to PIPEX, they are BTO's customer, not you.
If you report it to BTO all that will happen is you will have a BTO engineer
turn up with the wrong skills to do the job and they will charge you for not
following the correct procedure.

Hope that helps.

Old October 10th 06, 09:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 12:56:31 +0100, Peter Parry
wrote:

Have you tried connecting directly to the master socket faceplate
with all other house telephone wiring disconnected? An increasing
problem with ADSL Max is the use of parallel laid rather than twisted
pair extension cables which increases noise levels a lot.

I did use a cheap extension cable from the only socket (has a 2 out
adapter) but not sure whether it was twisted pair or parallel laid.

You could also try disconnecting pin 3 at the master and all
extensions and using only 2 and 5.

What about pin 4, I recall four wires when I initally connected an
extension socket - this was bypassed when I used a single extension
wire.

Geoff Lane

Old October 10th 06, 11:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Parry

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 20:00:15 +0100, Geoff Lane
wrote:

I did use a cheap extension cable from the only socket (has a 2 out
adapter) but not sure whether it was twisted pair or parallel laid.

That would be a parallel cable - well known for picking up noise and
causing ADSL problems, increasingly so with ADSL Max.

You could also try disconnecting pin 3 at the master and all
extensions and using only 2 and 5.

What about pin 4,

Disconnect - doesn't do anything. However if you are using parallel
cable you probably won't see any advantage.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Old October 11th 06, 09:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 22:32:07 +0100, Peter Parry
wrote:

You could also try disconnecting pin 3 at the master and all
extensions and using only 2 and 5.

What about pin 4,

Disconnect - doesn't do anything. However if you are using parallel
cable you probably won't see any advantage.

Thanks, I'll give that a try if I can find no other problems.

Geoff Lane